Member Follow User Gallery

Default Kinzkey Sketchbook

So I was told by a mentor that I should start a Sketchbook thread instead of posting a new thread for each of my pieces. I've been working with Zbrush for about 5-6 weeks, now, and having been using Eric Keller's loverly book: Introducing Zbrush, 3rd Ed. I'm super excited, because I'm in the eighth chapter. That's two chapters away from learning 4R4-4R6 stuff. Yaaaay!

Anyways, my most recent forays in ZBrush have been with Spotlight and Poly Painting, which I love SO MUCH. I never want to use another program to model.

This mesh is one of the demo meshes that came with ZBrush, but the painting is all my own. I used Spotlight to get her skin tone, eyes, eyeshadow, and lips, then I used various PolyPaint Brushes to add freckles and to clean up the sloppy areas. It took me around 2-3 hours to do it all. I'm still pretty slow at this, especially since I just learned Spotlight yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FemaleMonster01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	475.3 KB 
ID:	364811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FemaleMonster02.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	445.5 KB 
ID:	364812  

Default Female Monster

So, I decided to try and do a 'quickie' piece. I modeled this monster bust in about three hours, and, as you can see, I am still not done with her. I'm really not as familiar with the tools as I would like to be, so she's taking forever. All the same, I'm looking forward to painting her up.

And suggestions on modeling lips? I absolutely hate doing them, and have the hardest time getting them even close to right.

Also, I love any critiques that anyone can offer! I suck with ZBrush, so I won't take offense!
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student
    CEO of Ninja Obsessed.com
    Independent Pampered Chef Consultant

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
    -Sherlock Holmes

Default Quick Sketch of a Girl

Making this girl took about three days, which is relatively fast for me at my unskilled level. I wanted to make a character that was similar to my quick sketch drawing style, and I think that I managed it.

I built up the form for her body with ZSpheres, then made an adaptive mesh. I then sculpted it, used spotlight to paint on the skin and eyes. I used fibermesh to make her hair. Using the fibermesh was like trying to brush someone's hair while in zero-g, with a ton of static cling, and nothing to part the hair but a large hair brush and a Barbie brush. The results made it totally worth it, but it sure was slow goings. :P After I finished styling her hair, I painted on her clothing textures, then used Rendering to get these nice images.

This last image is one of my reference images for how I wanted my character to look.
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
    -Sherlock Holmes

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

These are wonderful.
    I hope you keep at it because I would love to see what you do next!
    Having a sketchbook is a good idea, it makes it easy for airheads like me to find you and see what you are up to.

Cheers!
    Mealea
    nope...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway.

Default Lunch Crunch Gremlin from Tunnels and Trolls

Thanks, Mealea!

I was challenged to see what I could turn out in an hour with ZBrush. I decided to make the head of a Gremlin based on a picture in the old Tunnels and Trolls book, "Monsters! Monsters!" In an hour, I was able to sculpt the head, eyes, and teeth. I added a basic material to the entire piece, and I layed out a basic color scheme. I really wanted to make the gremlin head look a bit nicer, so I spent a half hour adding skin details, polishing up his colors, and adding materials to his eyes and teeth.

And here is the time lapse and turntables of my gremlin: http://youtu.be/sxm9pCZJN0A
    Does anyone know why I can't use video code? Is it because I'm still a relatively new member?
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Gremlin Inspiration

And here's the inspiration for the gremlin, from Monsters! Monsters!
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Lunch Crunch: Tunnels and Trolls Monster

I got inspiration for this quick character from the Tunnels and Trolls book "Monsters! Monsters!" If you happen to own it, the reference image I used was on page 33.
    Here's the time lapse video: http://youtu.be/uHq3YOgvwRY

--
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Bonsai Tree

I decided to take a break from character modelling and delve into object modelling. I got inspiration for making this tree from some similar trees I saw in a Japanese Tea Garden.

It took me about three hours to make this bonsai piece.
    http://youtu.be/F-6Gw7ES5fc

Default ADnD Basilisk

For my last project of the day, I made a cartoony looking basilisk based on the old sketh from the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons' Monster Manual in the course of about an hour.
    http://youtu.be/2aKwIFW50s8
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Sensei 1.5Hr Lunch Crunch

I was really busy , yesterday, doing a whole lot of things that weren't ZBrush. At one point, I realized I had one and a half hours to spare, so, quick like a bunny, I decided to knock out one of my old character concepts: Sensei. I was working on making a ninja-based animation a while back to go with my website NinjaObsessed.com, but I never got past the PreProduction phase. So, about a year later, I came across my sketches, again.

So, without further ado, here's Sensei:
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Sensei Concept Sketch

--
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Cupcake: A Lot Harder to Make than You Would Think

So today's ZBrush activity was making a cupcake. It's been a while since I used the radial symmetry, so I got to rediscover that. Also, I learned some new shape building techniques. Since I've been focusing on making humanoids, lately, I decided to try and broaden my repertoire by trying a simple object. I really had to think outside of what I'm used to to get this shape to work. And here's the finished product rendering (and here's the video link: http://youtu.be/Bzkuab2IiOc).
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Book Shelf

Here's a book shelf I made. At first, I was trying to build it up the way I normally would in Maya with pre-existing objects. But then I decided to try shadow box to get the basic shape, then drug portions of the block inward to get my shelves. I know there are better ways to do this. Does anyone else have any recommendations?
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Scifi Character

This is a character that took me three work days to complete. I based off of some characters I read about in Neuromancer by Will Gibson. They were called Panther Moderns.

--
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Default Modern Office Set

The idea for this set was to do something with a bit of flair and style to it. I decided to do a 'modern' office, since I would be able to put a lot of character into simple, everyday objects.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SciFi06.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	371990  
    --
    Amaryllis Graybill
    Student

-Sherlock Holmes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast