ZBrushCentral

"Unmystified" - Zbrush Artwork inspired by the "Uncharted" game series.

Unmystified is a collection of images I created in tribute to the amazing Uncharted video game series by Naughty Dog.

These images represent my own artistic vision of what I thought could be a mysterious location in the Uncharted universe. I want to send a big thank you to the exceptional work of the talented artists at Naughty Dog who inspired me to make this.

Also, thanks to the Pixologic/Z-Brush team and the amazing new features in 4r4 and 4r5 such as “Panel Loops” and “Insert Multi Mesh”. Without ZBrush and these features, Unmystified would not have been possible.

If anyone is interested in learning more about how I created these images I plan on posting some videos to ZBrush soon. Additionally, I will be giving a live demo at the Pixologic booth at next month’s SIGGRAPH conference in Anaheim, California.

http://ugm.pixologic.com/registration/1307-Siggraph/#thompson

“Unmystified” was created using “ZBrush”, “3-D Studio Max”, “Photoshop”, and rendered in “Vray”.

I hope you all enjoy! Thanks! - Seth Thompson

A Beauty Render of everything together from VRay - High Res Link: http://www.bokuchan1000.com/Unmystified/Unmystified_AC.jpg

A Grey Shaded Render from VRay - All the stone and vine work was sculpted in Z-Brush.

Hi-Res Image Link: http://www.bokuchan1000.com/Unmystified/Unmystified_BC.jpg

A VRay detail render of the coy fish wall

High Res Image Link: http://www.bokuchan1000.com/Unmystified/Unmystified_CC.jpg

Z-Brush Progress Renders

Chinese Dragon Wall Relief Detail VRay Render

High Resolution Render - http://www.bokuchan1000.com/Unmystified/Unmystified_DC.jpg

Chinese Dragon Wall Z-Brush Progress Renders

More Renders coming soon!

Attachments

Unmystified_CC.jpg

ZBrush_CoyWall.jpg

Unmystified_DC.jpg

ZBrush_DragonWall.jpg

Unmystified_AC_v02.jpg

Unmystified_BC.jpg

2 Likes

Those pictures are simply amazing, so mysterious, such amount of details!
Certainly I am interested in watching some breakdowns, would be great. Thanks for sharing.

Great first post! Awesome work! :smiley:

Cheers David

the lighting is great and is very detailed sculpting congratulations

my kind of eye candy i look forward to more!

Hey Seth

AMAZING!!! What a breathe taking image. Looking forward to SIGGRAPH. Keep the images coming.

Paul

Here are some additional images from the project.

A screenshot of vines made with a custom IMM (Insert Multi Mesh) brush I created.

IMM_v01.jpg

A close up VRay render of the Dragon Pillar.

Unmystified_EC.jpg

Progress ZBrush sculpts of the Dragon Pillar and column area.

A close up render of the Lantern. This mesh and sculpt were created in only a few hours using the “Panel Loops” features of ZBrush 4r5. I will be demonstrating how to create this at SIGGRAPH next month with online videos to follow in late July.

Unmystified_FC.jpg

A ZBrush BPR render of the Lantern.

Lantern_v02.jpg

Some in progress renders and ZBrush work for the ground.

1 Like

incredible piece…don’t know where to start…

Awesome stuff Seth! You clearly put in a lot of time and effort and energy, holy balls. The little dragon pillar is my fav!
Looking forward to seeing the how to videos behind the creation of this set. :slight_smile:

Simply fantastic.

Gorgeous piece!!!
video plz:)

Sooo beautiful! Thanks for sharing… and for taking me into this sun dappled haven on this rainy Seattle day! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I have been looking at this piece for so long it is great to see that people appreciate the effort!

Basia - Thanks for being the first person to reply to my first thread…ever! By the way, I really like your “Baroque Interior” piece! And it is nice to see your little dragon creature, we have something in common :slight_smile:
chalkman - It only took me about 12 years as a professional to finally post some personal art…lol. I would love to see some of your pieces rendered with heavy depth of field. I am sure you could create some really cool cellular level micro-organism art pieces.
Dyx86 - I am glad you liked the lighting, it took a lot of tricks, and I had a lot of great feedback from some of my co-workers at Blizzard such as Toni Bratincevic and Laurent Pierlot.
earthtriber - Glad you like the piece! I really like your work with Fiber Mesh on the various trees and vegetation you created. I really need to take more time to learn how to use those features more in depth, I might hit you up for some advice later.
gabo1991 - Thanks a ton Paul! Cannot believe I finally completed the images, and had so much fun at the CTN demo (nothing can match Wondercon in San Fran though…haha). Looking forward to the presentation at SIGGRAPH and seeing you and the ZBrush crew again!
LVXIFER - Thanks for the compliment! By the way, you have some really cool, dark, evil pieces. I definitely want to explore some darker styles in some of my future pieces. You Giger inspired pieces are awesome as well. If you haven’t checked out Wayne Barlowe, I think you will LOVE his work, he has some of the most incredible visions of Hell - http://waynebarlowe.wordpress.com/artwork/hell/
JessicaDru - If anyone knows how much time I put into this piece it is you. Thank you for your support and patience on this piece!
Ouran - Thanks! I really enjoy your Manimal and Earl Greyridge pieces. Keep up the good work!
VFX artist - Thanks for the comments! Videos to come soon! Nihon de CG shigoto suru no? I worked in Tokyo at Square-Enix for about 3 years on “Final Fantasy - Advent Children” and “Final Fantasy 12”. I miss Japan! Otsukare sama!
DiaWun - Glad my piece could bring some light into your day! I visited Seattle for the first time in February and was very fortunate to have only a little bit of rain. Love it up there! You should check out fellow Seattle artist David Lesperance’s work. He is one of my best friends and posts frequently here. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc-user-gallery.php?uid=69366

Fantastic stuff! I love the image you composed and the details you put in. The only thing I could have suggested would be putting some subtle eroded tooling marks on the carved stone surfaces in a few more places. Just a personal opinon. Great great work - looking forward to your next!

FigmentPigment - Thanks for the compliments and also your feedback! I attempted to get most of the subtle tooling marks for erosion in my texturing maps within VRay. But I do agree, there are many more opportunities for subtle high-frequency details in my sculpt.

More images showing what was or was not sculpted in ZBrush for “Unmystified”.

First, a couple of the small bits of vegetation such as seeds and flowers for the vines.

3D Studio Max Screen Shots of ZBrush Decimated Models.

Set_v00.jpg

Full Shot - Decimated Sculpts only

Full shot - ZBrush and 3D Studio Max created Assets.

A bit more detail on the tree sculpt and vines created with IMM Brushes. I kept the trees and vines very clean so I could easily adjust bump values and textures in Max. I normally start texturing with tileable maps so I can easily adjust size values in Max.

1 Like

Bad ass seth san, crazy work as always.

great work, impressive detail.

very cool! awesome to see the breakdown… what kind of poly count where you rocking at the end…? must have been massive? i will be happy to help
with any fibre mesh questions you have really the main thing i can tell you is its all about experimentation with those sliders but the poly count for
grass is tiny… blown away by the texture of your tree… just love this piece! and the new retopo stuff is exciting in the new 4r6…

very inspirational! that flower looks like a datura