Member Follow User Gallery

Default 3D print from my first sculpt

I've been looking for the opportunity to try my hand at digital sculpting after installing Sculptris so many months ago.

After watching videos from Ryan Kingslien, Ryan Kittleson, and a bunch of other inspirational YouTube speedsculpts it was finally time to dive in. Exposure to the tutorials and cheatsheet provided some unconscious familiarity with the tools.

I spent an initial session pulling and pinching at the sphere to get familiar with using a Wacom tablet. From there, I dove into my first-ever sculpt.

Once the pertinent features were sculpted in place, symmetry was turned off and some minor posing was done. The model was exported to OBJ and converted to STL using Rhino5.

STL is the format preferred by today's round of 3D printers. Here, the model was printed on my envisionTEC micro at 25 micron-thin slices (0.025mm).

What did I take away from this experience?
    • It's amazing the end-product that comes out of Sculptris
    • I actually found it fun to exercise the hand-eye coordination used back in my youth
    • A drawing tablet is a MUST. It makes sculpting fun and approachable. If you're set on using a mouse, you might as well use Etch-a-Sketch knobs.

I'm looking to hone my process as time permits.

Carter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sculptris01.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	360319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sculptris02.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	360320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sculptris03.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	360321  

Default Cast from my first sculpt

Onto the next sculpt!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

What a nice result.
    What a privilege to have this wonderful printer to play with!
    I wonder if the printer even could reproduce more details?

Your work is such a beautyful example how powerful sculptris is, and how satisfying due to very short learning curve.
    It would be so lovely to have sculptris more developped.
    With a improved bone system like 123D creature for ipad has i.e. (Check it out, you will love it for very fast base meshes. As easy as sculptris to use, even though sculptris is much nicer for sculpting for sure)

Anyway, I love your little lion!

btw. If you have the chance to test a cintiq, don't do it! You don't want to miss it anymore. The problem of eye hand coordination is gone.

Thank you, Knacki

I'm sure I could eek out a bit more detail in the final cast if I went back to the sculpt and optimized a few things. There are suspects in the workflow that probably contributed to a slightly softer end-result. For instance, the mesh Boolean operation in Rhino 5 made a mess of unioning the eyeball. And I only used the default parameters when converting the OBJ mesh to STL. Once I find better procedures for things like this, I'm sure the results will be more spectacular down the road. Using other (non-sculpt) cad models (ie, nurbs), the printer has printed other things with jaw-dropping sharp detail. It's certainly capable of it.

For something that fits on a U.S. dime though, I'm quite happy with the level of detail.

I've installed both 123D Catch and 123D Creature when they were released but haven't looked into incorporating them into a Sculptris workflow yet. I AM seeing how everything can be used to help each other. A nurbs model converted to OBJ can serve as a launch point for Sculptris and at the same time a Sculptris-generated model can serve as a guideline mesh for retopology for programs like T-Splines. I've already looked into using 123D Catch with T-Splines before:

http://www.tsplines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34813

In a few weeks, I might take a stab at printing these on the B9 Creator printer:

http://b9creator.com/support/?mingle...iewtopic&t=237

Exciting times to be playing in 3D indeed

Carter

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hi,
    What's this material?
    Can you tell smoething more about this Micro printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiaderko View Post
    What's this material?
    Can you tell smoething more about this Micro printer?
    The printer is a commercial-grade high-resolution stereolithography printer from envisionTEC. It prints with a X-Y resolution around 35 microns (0.035mm) and a Z resolution of 25 microns (0.025mm slice). The company has a laundry-list of resins compatible with the printer. The type I use is PEC5050 which has burn-out characteristics allowing for direct-casting (eliminates rubber mold / injection wax process)

Hobby-level FDM printers like RepRap, MakerBot, etc quirt a molten thread of plastic. Don't expect an X-Y resolution lower than 300-100 microns.

My 2nd 3D printer is the B9 Creator. It's currently setup with a 50-micron X-Y resolution and 25-micron Z-layer. I recently ran the same Sculptris sculpt through it with pretty good results. There's an upcoming new resin formulation that promises sharper detail than what I'm using.

Using the entry from the Dragon Challenge thread, who didn't see THIS follow-up coming?

My 2nd Sculptris-based 3D print...

Fang detail...

Supports cut away...

Sculptris rocks so much! Congrats Pixologic. You've hooked another sculpting addict.

OK.. final pics from sculpt #2...

Wow, that's really cool. It looks amazing.

Very cool! So you have your own 3D printer? Isn't that horribly expensive?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Excellent!

You should post some stuff on ZBC Main Forum.
    Sculptris Forum is somehow almost invisible for most zBrush people.
    B9 Creator?

Thanks guys. Given the approachability of Sculptris and the availability of high definition 3D printers, I think the two user bases will only continue to merge at an accelerated rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Teria View Post
    ...Isn't that horribly expensive?
    Let's put that into perspective...
    Around 2009, commercial 3D printers with THIS level of resolution had a $100,000-$250,000 usd pricetag.
    2011 saw a handful of machines available in the $40,000-$30,000 range.
    2012 was the year they finally broke below $20k

For those businesses paying a service bureau 5+ prints each week @ $90 per object, those last two years have been no-brainers.

WOW Thanks for your experience of 3d printer !! Lion is so cute !!!