ZBrushCentral

JC nunez (Dunkel) sketchbook (with some mature content)

Hello!

Long time without posting!, I passed the last and a half year dealing with different personal issues that made me leave aside my passion, sculpt!

happily I´m returning to the path :), now I feel very motivated to improve my work and go an step further in my carrer. so I taked a course with Kris Costa at Visualarium, and wow, what can I say, it´s being a very great experience so far, with a awesome group of people and a lot of knowledge to learn, and a lot of work to do.

we are at the middle of the program right now, so I want to share my progress! to collect even more helpful critiques :slight_smile:

a little brief of my course project:

at the begining of the course, I discovered “die antwoord”, a VERY controversial and disturbing south african band (with very catchy songs , a fresh and stylish look and a lot of bad words). maybe at a first glance you can find it shocking and hollow, but watching their videos a second chance, I think their work have a deep conceptual structure with symbolisms of south african cultures mixed with a badass sense of humor :slight_smile:

well, in matter of tastes… (don´t judge me, is not the only kind of music that I listen)

this image is an inspirational/references board with some ingredients that I want to evocate. Beside Yolandi Visser (the singer), I´d like to include some elements from cyberpunk style, like ranxerox, gunnm and tanaka´s works.

this will be not necessarily a portrait, but I want to do something that evokes the energy and provocative proposal from the band.

progress images:
Character based on Yolandi Visser

this will be not the final pose, is more like a test pose homework (based on Scott Eaton work)

face and expression WIP

I´m working in the hair style, so more progress is coming.

JC

Attachments

inspirational_board.jpg

F_char_03.jpg

pose_complete.jpg

module_06_homework.jpg

1 Like

She has a wider nose and nose bridge, also more pointing out eyebrows, should be sharper on the sides and more pointing out
also for now her abs are pretty messed up, and tight gap is too wide, but i guess a very tight latex pants will do that
Anyway good progress, abs for now stick out the most ;f

yes, you are right, thanks!, I will fix it, including other proportions issues, also I want to improve the likeness in the neutral face before sculpt the hair.

here is more homework stuff:

old_woman_day2.jpgmodule_02_homework.jpg

updates of yolandi visser model, face and hairstyle:

yo_update.jpg

hair render test:

view_0001.jpg

Cheers!

D

Attachments

view_0001.jpg

Nice progress on Yolandi. Is the hair render fibermesh?

Rich bch! great works!

i fink u freeky and i like you alot

Cool man, yolandi must be proud to see this :+1:

Nice render! I presume you combed the hair in zbrush and somehow got that in vray? Can you share a bit of your workflow?

Thank you!

Hey, first of all I think you don’t have to justify for listening to this. I just recently rediscovered Die Antwoord myself, I think they are really great and the problem most people have is that they missunderstand or don’t understand them. Even if you would listen only to that kind of music, that’s totaly fine, I say.

I think your Yolandi is awesome and I hope that one day I have as much control over my fibers like you. Right now, when I’m trying to make hair with fibers, it always ends in a total mess.

Both thumbs up :slight_smile:

Hey Dunkel! Very cool sculpts! I see we have similar taste…

Wow, man! Thanks for sharing this. Incredible models, and you introduced me to Die Antwoord–great stuff. I love artists that are edgy enough to make you nervous liking their work :smiley: Please let us know when the project this is for can be seen!

wigo, marco, m-wicz, tatanka : thanks! :slight_smile:

cdizzle, olivier, kornyclown , I will make a breakdown of the hair workflow soon guys! :+1:,

tokolosh, wow!, what can I say, congratulation for your work in evil boy video, I’m jealous! :wink: it´s funny, but here in chile we have an “entity” very similar to Tokolosh, it´s called trauco, here is a little description of him from wikipedia:
The Trauco is a mythical entity who inhabits the woods of Chiloé, an island in the south of Chile. It has a powerful magnetism that attracts young and middle-aged women. According to myth, the Trauco’s wife is the wicked and ugly Fiura. The trauco carries a small stone-headed hatchet that he uses to strike trees in the forest to symbolize his sexual potency.
Whoever the Trauco chooses will go to him, even if she is sleeping, and fall enraptured at his feet. No woman can resist his magical attraction; all have sexual intercouse with him. Men of Chiloé fear the Trauco, as his gaze can be deadly.
When a single woman is pregnant and no one steps forward as the father, people assume that the Trauco is the father. Because the Trauco is irresistible, the woman is considered blameless. The Trauco is sometimes invoked to explain sudden or unwanted pregnancies, especially in unmarried women.

here is an update, but I´m still not happy with the face…
yo_pose_02.jpg
baby_mamlambo.jpg

she is holding a newborn mamlambo, the goddess of rivers, I think yolandi deserve an extraordinary pet… :slight_smile:

next, I will move to textures

Cheers

Hey JC,
Great to see your work (wip) in here as well! pretty cool job…Cheers
-E

Oh jirre god se jesus :slight_smile: Looks awesome, nice likeness

Amazing work. Just love it. :smiley:

Awesome, I can’t wait for it :slight_smile:

I think it looks good so far, just two things jump right into my eye.

1. When I look at this picture
    http://alivingdiary.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/yolandi_visser_by_bublla-d5cynuk.jpg
    From the base of the ears down to the jaw, the jawbone seems to taper a bit more. Overall she seems to have a more slender face.
  2. I think eyebrows would help to indicate some expression and in the picture above it looks like her eyebrows are a bit asymetric and that can help to sell the characteristics of her face.

I’m not sure, just thinking.

Hi,
Just u tubed the band …wow I think I have a new favorite band!
I will be watching your posts for more of your progress.
Cheers!

Hi Dunkel

Thanks for the Trauco info. They are very similar…It would be cool to see a dance-off between the two. Ha Ha
I like the mamlambo too. Keep up the good work.

Giftig!