ZBrushCentral

bacteria Sketchbook

Hello guys, I’d like to share my personal work with You.
This one was inspired by Tilda Swington photo session. Model and texture made in zbrush, except jacket base mesh. I use fibermesh for hair.
For rendering i use 3ds max, v-ray. Finished up in photoshop.

Attachments

zb screen.jpg

t_cr_900.jpg

t_cr_face_800.jpg

nice! definitely look like her.

Really nice:+1: What was you workflow for rendering the fibermesh hair in Max?

there is no much information about exporting fibermesh to vray, I almost pull out my own hair trying make it work :slight_smile:
I made little tutorial, hope it will be usefull.

exporting fibermesh to 3ds max as splines:
there is no need to export all splines from zbrush to 3ds max because we have to use max hair and fur, imported splines are used as guides. I exported separate top hair, side hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.
To export splines first go to fibermesh dropdown menu, in preview settings lower down [preview fibers visibility] this slider determinate number of exported splines.
To check how many splines will be exported, go to export curve and press [export curve] exporting window will pop up. I used about 5000 splines for top hair and the same for sides. You can use less. If you have curves count set export them.
1_zb_export.jpg

Importing splines:
In 3ds max obj importer turn on [import as single mesh] and [shapes/lines]
2_max_import.jpg

Depending on how many segmets you used in zbrush for your fibermesh and what groom brushes you used imported splines can be jagged. To fix this select all vertex, right click over selected splines nad set them to smooth.
3_smooth.jpg

Add [Hair and Fur(WSM)] modifier.
general parameters :
hair count, 50k for top nad 50 for sides ( there is about 100.000 hair on head depending on color)
Hair segments I set to 20
Round Scale- 0,01 to make max hair shape like imported splines
Root Thick- form hair I set 2, eyebrow and eyelashes 3
Interpolation - for top nad side hair leave on, for eyelashes nad eyebrow I turn it off because some hair show up in unexpected areas.

mr Parameters :
turn on apply mr shader and drop in vrayHairMtl

VrayHairMtl setup:
Choos preset for hair, I used blond shiny
To add hair color variation you can add VrayHairInfoTex to overall texture slot (color A and B represent falloff gradient , bias move gradient up or down
4_hair_fur.jpg

Render setup:
If you use GI set primary bounces to Brute force nad Secondary bounces to light cache, in light cache options turn on Retrace trashold and set it to 1
5_GI.jpg

When you start render it will freeze max for a while depending how many splines you imported. During that max building mesh form splines.

And thats it :slight_smile:

awsome touch i do love the makeup on the girl and hair is finee
and thnx a ton for the lil tut idl like to try it on to now but on maya:D

gr8 shot kudos\m/

Wow man this is awesome. I’ve had some real dificalty finding good info on takeing fibermesh into max for use with a hair plugin.
Thanks so much for sharing your workflow. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet but hopefully I will tomorrow!
Quick question, when you apply the hair and fur modifier are you applying it to the splines or do you apply it to a separate piece of geometry like a hair cap or something?

Thanks guys, i’m glad that I can help :slight_smile:
Hair and fur modifier have to be applied to splines, it’s shown on fourth screen.

Oh yeh lol. sorry I’ve been away from my laptop for a few days and was viewing the images on my phone which has a tiny screen. Great stuff. Now going to give this a try!!

here’s character I made a while ago as personal work. It is a game model render in UDK with little PS post production.

1.jpg

2.jpg

sculpt.jpg

Nice I like the mechanics on this guy

Characters I made for “Hard West” game, which is currently on kickstarter

nice characters ! :wink:

great sculpts!

here’s another one

Done in my spare time :slight_smile:

king_pores_fin.jpg

king_sculpt.jpg

Hey !!! First Link Wray sculpt I see !!! You paid him a very good tribute !!!
Very nice work !!! I like it a lot ( and I love Link Wray :wink: )

(grr bad english me hope you understand sorry)

it’s looking great.

the hair looks a bit out of place. maybe some gray strands would help, right now it’s not consistent with the age the face sculpt shows.

He looks very charismatic. Cool!

thanks guys :slight_smile:
@nikudy - I will leave hair as they are, but will remember to work more on hair shader next time.