Default DIY Universal Capture System

Hi folks. id like to share a school project of mine... its a maya project, rather than zbrush, but zbrush was really essential in my pipeline so id like to share it here anyways.

I was greatly inspired by the work of ESC Entertainment on the Matrix Trilogy. Especially by the Universal Capture System (UCap) they used to create digital doubles.

And i have to say i was very determined to recreate it in sort of DIY style without a budget, experience or anything.
    Sadly there was no time for doing a rendered sequence so i tried my best to make this working directly in maya viewport and still looking ok.

And these are the results, hope you like it :

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	471.2 KB 
ID:	353829  

the character itself is still a WIP, and i tend to finish and animate him after my finals.

here are some WIP shots (rendered in maya/vray) :

more to come...later

New Member Follow User Gallery

That's pretty amazing. How are you solving for the tracking markers in your facial rig?

Stellar work! Would love to see the process involved for this workflow!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Headcrash View Post
    How are you solving for the tracking markers in your facial rig?
    i used PFTrack for tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Creuter View Post
    Would love to see the process involved for this workflow!
    more information about this project can be found here
    Last edited by bukkit; 04-22-13 at 10:42 AM.

Watching that linked vid, seems like your were doing something one step more complicated than ESC was. Theirs looks like mesh generated/extracted from multiple cam data then projection mapped with said cam data and re-lit. You appear to be driving an actual rig based on marker locations, a la Avatar. Regardless, it's very impressive work. Would love to see a detailed breakdown on your process. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Ah, just saw the PFTTrack vids on geometry tracking. Now it makes a bit more sense, so this isn't rigged in the conventional sense? That's all geometry tracking?
    Last edited by nimajneb; 04-22-13 at 11:06 AM.

no no, the geometry tracking isnt as usefull as it sounds.

i shot it with 5 cameras (3x 5D 2xcrop sensor dslrs) and 3 kinoflo 120cm lights

then in pftrack i used the mocap node and tracked all the reference points.
    then exported them as lokators.
    stabilized in motionbuilder

this was my final motion capture output ... bunch of lokators

then in maya, i point constrained a joint to each lokator and manually painted weights

finally i projected and baked three image sequences as texture

that was my workflow in a nutshell
    Last edited by bukkit; 04-22-13 at 11:41 AM.

Looks ace!!
    Cheers,
    Selwy

very nice

I don't understand what I am looking at but it sure is cool.

You say no budget, but how much does all of those cameras, lights, remotes and screen cost? I'm guessing $10,000 at least.

Do the cameras shoot video and how do you have the shoot at the same time if your sitting on the stool?

New Member Follow User Gallery

Been following this.
    Highly professional setup and an amazing result.
    This ACTUALLY deserves a top row.

Just went through your thread at CGFeedback - truly inspiring and impressive work! Thank you so much for documenting the various processes and sharing the information.

Would you please tell us a little more about the initial bit of photography from which you derived your rough geometry and textures? How did you get geometry from all the images you shot?

Thanks, again, and congratulations on such a wonderful project!

thanks for your kind words really means a lot

Quote Originally Posted by womball View Post
    You say no budget, but how much does all of those cameras, lights, remotes and screen cost? I'm guessing $10,000 at least.

Do the cameras shoot video and how do you have the shoot at the same time if your sitting on the stool?
    right, but almost all the equipment is borrowed from friends just for one day, all in all the whole setup cost me 150€ for renting those three lights
    as for the synchronization, i didnt use any remotes, i just fired the dslrs one by one and then started the shooting by clapping with a regular movie clack
    after that it was just a matter of synchronizing the footage in after effects

Quote Originally Posted by cdizzle View Post
    Just went through your thread at CGFeedback - truly inspiring and impressive work! Thank you so much for documenting the various processes and sharing the information.

Would you please tell us a little more about the initial bit of photography from which you derived your rough geometry and textures? How did you get geometry from all the images you shot?

Thanks, again, and congratulations on such a wonderful project!
    well for the 3D model estimation i used something called 123D Catch. its a free app from autodesk. you just upload a bunch of photos in it and it gives you a photogrammetry 3D scan of your subject. feel free to try it. its really cool

just for the lulz...ondrej on drugs )

Page 1 of 14 123410 ... LastLast