ZBrushCentral

Daily Sculpt Grind

So recently my life has been a little crazy and my free time has opened up greatly due to some recent events. I decided to start doing daily sculpts similar to what z Brodoes on his blog to improve my skills. I haven’t been able to use much of zBrush or do character modeling because of my schedule but since I want to be a Character Artist I am far behind from where I want to be. A recent project I’m working on definitely made me realize that. With all that said here is what I have so far and thank you to all the artists out there that provide resources for people like me who are new to this process. Especially with Hazardous starting up a stream recently it helped me with my work flow immensely. Critiques are MORE than welcome. Whatever can help me improve I am all ears.

Schedule:
Week One - Female Busts
Week Two - Male Busts
Week Three - Female upper torso
Week Four- Male upper torso

Also I started up a blog a month or so ago where I will also post my sculpts, speed paints and any other updates.
chbrook.blogspot.com

Polycount Thread:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117430

Sculpt 1:

Sculpt 2:

Sculpt 3:

Sculpt 4:

Sculpt 5: Death 1 by Artgerm

Sculpt 6: Unahona (Bleach)

Attachments

DailySculptBlogResize01.jpg

DailySculptBlogResize02.jpg

DailySculptBlogResize03.jpg

DailySculptBlogResize04.jpg

DailySculptBlogResize05.jpg

DailySculptBlogViewsResize06.jpg

Sculpt 7: Soi Fong (Bleach)
DailySculptBlogViewsResize07.jpg
Sculpt 8:
DailySculptBlogViewsResize08.jpg
Sculpt 9:
DailySculptBlogViewsResize09.jpg

Delayed double post

Sculpt 10: Lara Croft
DailySculptBlogViewsResize10.jpg

My attempt at Lara Croft. Ill probably pose her, fine tune (especially the ears) everything then give it a proper render with Vray sometime next week.

Lovin these! Great job.

Thanks, appreciate it!

Sculpt 11:
DailySculptBlogViews11.jpg
So this was my “attempt” at an anatomy study. I didn’t really bother with the neck area since it has so many structures to it I didn’t want to spend to much time on it. Some things were generalized as well since I wasn’t worried about spot on accuracy.

I will be working on male busts this week so I felt it was important to get an anatomy study down before I begin this time around. I’m sure there is a million things wrong with this but it was a good challenge and knowledge builder ;D.

Sorry for not posting a sculpt yesterday I had a busy day, though I did manage to post a speed paint on my blog.

Love your characters, thank you for sharing.

Really like your daily studies… The 4th image, the female elf is my definite favorite!

Leegyz:
Thanks! Keep in mind a few characters aren’t my original designs. Ill change the titles and post reference for the ones I didn’t design, forgot to do it on my Zbrushcentral post D:.
SolidSnakexxx:
Appreciate it!

Sculpt 12:
DailySculptBlogViewsResize12.jpg
So this is what happens when I can’t think of any clothes to put on a character. Basically ended up being the most ridiculous outfit I’ve ever done but lets just say hes a comedic antihero for my sake ;D. Thinking about doing Kenpachi or a DBZ character next. On the other hand I might just save those for the weekend who knows.

As for the model itself the 3/4 view is feeling a little off for me on this one but other than that it went smooth for the most part.

Sculpt 13:
DailySculptBlogViews13Resize.jpg
So today was an extremely busy day for me. This ended up being more of a speed sculpt than anything and I kept it at a lower subdivision to save on time. This may or may not be inspired from Samael from Darksiders ;].

I plan on doing an actual study/likeness sculpt on Saturday. Doing things like this isn’t beneficial enough since I can hide the forms in the details.

Sculpt 14:
DailySculptBlogViewsResize14.jpg
So I had no Idea what I wanted to do for a sculpt today then this song came on my Pandora playlist and this is all I could think of. Probably should’ve put more effort into the cloth and some of the folds in the skin should have more defined creases :’[.

So with GDC coming up I will be spending this week working on sculpting a full character using the skills I developed in the last two weeks. I haven’t done anything besides busts but I learned a lot of the fundamentals of sculpting and feel confident that with adequate reference and patience I can pull it off. Unfortunately I don’t feel like I could make it a full game asset in time since I have little to no practice in that area but I plan on giving it a solid render with a standard material or poly painting if I have time. So instead of my typical daily posts every two or so days I will post a WIP for critique. Just thought I’d give an update to those wondering what happened to my daily posts. Also any recommendations for which busts I should finish up and give proper renders so I have some form of portfolio it would be much appreciated!

Hey Guidance. I think you’re having a great initiative here and that you’ll come out of it way stronger in ZBrush than in the beginning.

Since you seem open to constructive criticism, I think the head and neck of most of your characters are too small. On a more positive note, I really like how you sculpt cloth :slight_smile:

Keep it up !

you use dynamesh for the hair or polymesh? maybe is a silly question
because I have some problems with polygons when I try to sculpt hair

Ouran:
One of my first problems was getting the right size of the head and neck right. When you pointed it out it became obvious to me again, I’ll eventually get it. Thanks for the comments and critique!

Jorjoso:
It’s a Dynameshed sphere I deformed then sculpted.

thanks

Sorry for the late post, this wasn’t the planned “two days” that I initially had. I had trouble thinking of a solid concept so I just dove into things and started blocking things out and this is what I ended up with.

Port1_AllViewsResize.jpg

I guess the idea behind it is to make her a highly stylized paper girl that would be seen in a game like Jet Set Radio or anything to the like. This is the style I’m most comfortable with and enjoy the most so it was a relief to get away from realism for a little bit. Keep in mind the majority of this is for blocking out and conception so some of this may change. Most of the clothes will be retopoed (which I’ve never done before :’[ ) then I’ll get into the fun stuff like folds and details.

I still have to model a paper bag/backpack, roller blades and several accessories. I really want her appearance to sell the character at first glance and for the viewer to know her personality in the first few seconds. Once I pose her I’ll be adding some emotion to her face to hopefully have a solid piece by the time I render her out.

Now will I finish the modeling and posing by Sunday? Who knows but I really hope I have a solid render by the time I leave for GDC.

Note:
No way for you guys to know without coloring or having the same brain as me but those are going to be striped long socks on her legs ;].