Default Daily Sculpt Grind

So recently my life has been a little crazy and my free time has opened up greatly due to some recent events. I decided to start doing daily sculpts similar to what z Bro does on his blog to improve my skills. I haven't been able to use much of zBrush or do character modeling because of my schedule but since I want to be a Character Artist I am far behind from where I want to be. A recent project I'm working on definitely made me realize that. With all that said here is what I have so far and thank you to all the artists out there that provide resources for people like me who are new to this process. Especially with Hazardous starting up a stream recently it helped me with my work flow immensely. Critiques are MORE than welcome. Whatever can help me improve I am all ears.

Schedule:
    Week One - Female Busts
    Week Two - Male Busts
    Week Three - Female upper torso
    Week Four- Male upper torso

Also I started up a blog a month or so ago where I will also post my sculpts, speed paints and any other updates.
    chbrook.blogspot.com

Polycount Thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117430

Sculpt 1:

Sculpt 2:

Sculpt 3:

Sculpt 4:

Sculpt 5: Death 1 by Artgerm

Sculpt 6: Unahona (Bleach)
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-13-13 at 11:48 AM.

Sculpt 7: Soi Fong (Bleach)

Sculpt 8:

Sculpt 9:
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-13-13 at 11:48 AM.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Delayed double post
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-09-13 at 10:34 PM.

Sculpt 10: Lara Croft

My attempt at Lara Croft. Ill probably pose her, fine tune (especially the ears) everything then give it a proper render with Vray sometime next week.
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-13-13 at 11:43 AM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Lovin these! Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGAHOLIC View Post
    Lovin these! Great job.
    Thanks, appreciate it!

Sculpt 11:

So this was my "attempt" at an anatomy study. I didn't really bother with the neck area since it has so many structures to it I didn't want to spend to much time on it. Some things were generalized as well since I wasn't worried about spot on accuracy.

I will be working on male busts this week so I felt it was important to get an anatomy study down before I begin this time around. I'm sure there is a million things wrong with this but it was a good challenge and knowledge builder ;D.

Sorry for not posting a sculpt yesterday I had a busy day, though I did manage to post a speed paint on my blog.
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-12-13 at 11:44 PM.

Member Follow User Gallery

Love your characters, thank you for sharing.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Really like your daily studies.. The 4th image, the female elf is my definite favorite!

Leegyz:
    Thanks! Keep in mind a few characters aren't my original designs. Ill change the titles and post reference for the ones I didn't design, forgot to do it on my Zbrushcentral post D:.
    SolidSnakexxx:
    Appreciate it!
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-13-13 at 11:43 AM.

Sculpt 12:

So this is what happens when I can't think of any clothes to put on a character. Basically ended up being the most ridiculous outfit I've ever done but lets just say hes a comedic antihero for my sake ;D. Thinking about doing Kenpachi or a DBZ character next. On the other hand I might just save those for the weekend who knows.

As for the model itself the 3/4 view is feeling a little off for me on this one but other than that it went smooth for the most part.
    Last edited by Guidance; 03-13-13 at 09:56 PM.

Sculpt 13:

So today was an extremely busy day for me. This ended up being more of a speed sculpt than anything and I kept it at a lower subdivision to save on time. This may or may not be inspired from Samael from Darksiders ;].

I plan on doing an actual study/likeness sculpt on Saturday. Doing things like this isn't beneficial enough since I can hide the forms in the details.

Sculpt 14:

So I had no Idea what I wanted to do for a sculpt today then this song came on my Pandora playlist and this is all I could think of. Probably should've put more effort into the cloth and some of the folds in the skin should have more defined creases :'[.

So with GDC coming up I will be spending this week working on sculpting a full character using the skills I developed in the last two weeks. I haven't done anything besides busts but I learned a lot of the fundamentals of sculpting and feel confident that with adequate reference and patience I can pull it off. Unfortunately I don't feel like I could make it a full game asset in time since I have little to no practice in that area but I plan on giving it a solid render with a standard material or poly painting if I have time. So instead of my typical daily posts every two or so days I will post a WIP for critique. Just thought I'd give an update to those wondering what happened to my daily posts. Also any recommendations for which busts I should finish up and give proper renders so I have some form of portfolio it would be much appreciated!

Senior Member Follow
    User Gallery

Hey Guidance. I think you're having a great initiative here and that you'll come out of it way stronger in ZBrush than in the beginning.

Since you seem open to constructive criticism, I think the head and neck of most of your characters are too small. On a more positive note, I really like how you sculpt cloth

Keep it up !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast