ZBrushCentral

Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars)

Ever since the announcement of the new Star Wars movie’s I’ve wanted to start work on this project. I finally got around to it a few weeks ago and I’m now ready to show something.

I’ll be doing models of Luke, Han and Leia, but at their current ages. Not 100% sure on what I’ll do once I have the heads done, but I’m sure I’ll work something out.

Main render is done in 3dsmax with vray, and there is a little bit of post work on it.

Han Sculpt
Han’s about 90% done, still a few more little tweaks here and there are probably needed. He’s actually a progression of an old Han model I did, which wasn’t up to scratch for the project, so I improved it.

Luke Sculpt
Luke’s about 65% done, he’s a hard nut to crack, but I’m confident I’ll get there. He’s a little slimmer than Mark Hamill is currently, but it looks like Mark is losing weight for the role so I’m just jumping ahead in time…lol

Obviously their ears need working on, and they need hair, eyebrows, clothes etc…and Leia is coming soon…

Attachments

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Very good sculpts, looks very promising :slight_smile:

Instantly recognisable, these are amazing. Knew it was Harrison Ford from the thumbnail, really nice surprise to see you’ve captured Mark Hamill so well also. Can’t wait to see your progress with this.

very recognizable! Funny when I think of it, seeing Luke (Hamill) bald like he look like anikin/vader when he finally got his helmet unveiled! Only without all the scaring and volcanic burn tissue.

Excellent sculpts man !

thanks guys, glad you like it…

should have some updates in the next few days (or sooner…)

okay, so some updates came sooner…

i didn’t feel like doing much sculpting so instead I played around with the render setup and some hair for Harrison (since i don’t envision changing the parts the hair will be on)

here Luke and Han in the new setup.

each head was rendered separately (about 2.5 minutes each @ 1920x818) then combined in PS…DOF was added in PS too…

and here’s Han’s hair
008-1.jpg

the hair was created in Zbrush using fibremesh. I then exported the geo and brought it into max.

The hair was split as follows:-

Main Hair: about 9 different chunks to allow ease of styling (might need 1 or 2 fuzzy edge chunks to soften where it meets the skin)
Eyebrows: 3 different layers, to account for different lengths/thicknesses/colours of the hairs
Eyelashes: just the one group cover top and bottom lashes for both eyes (top ones are barely visible)

All the main hair has a simple whitish-brown standard max material applied, while the eyebrows have 3 separate colours each with varying levels of opacity to soften them up. Eyelashes are just a brown standard material. No spec on any of the hair at this stage.

The render times were quite good just using the fibremesh->geo w/standard material method (not to mention it was a billion times easier to style, I did the whole hairdo in about 1/2 an hour), with the above render coming around 3-4 minutes.

I should note that the hair is a bit jaggy at the moment, but 1 iteration of turbo smooth should fix it.

I guess I should look at doing a diffuse map for the skin now, haven’t bothered with one as of yet…

made some progress on Luke today, I think I’ve almost cracked his face…just need to fix up his eyes, they got a bit blobby and messy when I was adjusting things…

i think once I add hair/eyebrows it’ll look better too…

and another angle of Han

011.jpg

I don’t want you to stay in an illusion but the likeness of Luke is far from nailed, doesn’t even Luke (:)) like him, and Harrison is looking like a caricature. Hope you don’t take this personally. Really depends on what you want to achieve - if it’s realism than you’re not there, if it’s something else I couldn’t say. Good luck!

D

Personally I think they are looking fantastic robo. I have always gone back to look through your threads for inspiration. Keep up the great work.

Just keep going on these! Really cool

Awesome sculpting and likeness! Nice work!

thanks everyone

okay, so as cherub pointed out the luke one was a bit off, and there was something a bit off with han as well…

well I think I’ve worked out a few of the issues so get ready for some progress…

all hair has disappeared for now, I’ll have to tweak it…there’s still something slightly off in the front on view but i think I’ve finally gotten the profile right…

there’s a few little normal/displacement niggles in the luke stuff…but i’ll get those…

and just a bit of render/shader fun

man you really captured their faces

how did you make such clear and bright eyes?
I always have so much trouble with that (among a list of other things )

Hey! Good improvements on Han! You’re getting there. I’m eagerly watching your progress on these.
Not sure about Luke though - yes it’s definitely Hamill but i think you can push him even further.

Btw. i think you captured the mouth regions really well.

Also Hans eyes seem to be a bit to deep inside his head…

Cheers

@BlackMath: thanks…for the eyes i didn’t do anything overly special, they use the same skin shader for the actual eyeball and I just made sure the light caught them enough to light em up…i do also have a separate reflection map for the cornea

@Vizzart: thanks. I know what you mean about Luke, I’ll look into some other things that I might be able to improve…I’ve also been doing some hair tests for him, and I think once all the hair is on there it’ll help with the likeness too…

i’ll also check Han’s eye depth…

I’ve started work on Leia, but it’s slow going so there mightn’t be progress shots for a while…

I will be doing some more updates to Luke’s Sculpt but wanted to get some hair in place to help me better visualise the changes needed…

019.jpg

there’s about 15-20 different chunks of hair in that 'do (3 layers for the eyebrows)…and to bring them into max easily i just merged and exported the geo from Zbrush…

I’ve also got some Leia progress…keep in mind this is very early (you should see some of the very very early ones) and I don’t sculpt a lot of women…especially older women…so this was always going to be a challenge…

it wasn’t until i put the dynamesh hair in that things started to get closer…and i think once she gets proper hair & makeup it’ll help even more…

the mouth needs fixing and I need to soften it in places (the eyes especially), then a detail pass…but i think it’s on the right track…

made some updates on Luke, so here’s a Zgrab (models now using the eyes from eof3d’s fantastic base mesh: http://store.3dcutie.com/manheadbasemesh01.html )

I’ve also made some progress on leia too so I’ll post that soon…

and a render of the updated sculpt w/hair…there were a few more slight changes between this one and the zgrab above

so, after a little bit of a break I’m back on this…i’m thinking i might even change this thread to a sketchbook so that I can post some of the other stuff i’m doing…

right, so here’s some updates to the big three’s sculpts…exploring sculpted hair options too…

Harrison

Mark

Carrie