Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Good to know. BTW, does the surface pro come with additional tips for the pen? I saw theres an add on kit, and I didn't know if they were replacement tips for ones you worn out, or if they were ones not included with the surface.

BTW, I'm trying to compare the surface pro 4 with my aging old hp with a AMD Athlon II 635 in it.. the new cpu runs almost twice as fast as my current desktop, BUT the surface has only two cores, and my old system has 4. (And its 6 or 7 years old now.)

I figured the surface would run much faster than my ancient desktop, but from looking at benchmarks, my old system might be twice as fast as the surface pro 4.

There are other differences (ram speed, my old system's 8 gb vs 16 on the surface) but I'm not sure is the surface won't feel like back pedaling instead of having a newer faster machine.

Honestly couldn't tell ya, but my guess is Surface would be equal or better. I can only say that based on my previous machines: older Mac Pro and 2011 i7 MacBook Pro.

Surface is just as fast, but less heat/fan than the MacBook Pro (zbrush specific)

It has much newer gen architecture of cpu, ssd, ram, etc than your machine. All that stuff comes together to make things snappy.

I was completely surprised by it's 3d performance (zbrush, modo, unity).

The main value add for me is the sketchbook form. I pretty much only work on the couch now, or at a coffee shop. I have ergonomic issues at a desk. Can work all day on this thing, no prob.

Also, ExpressKey Remote back in stock. Just ordered!

Not using on screen keypads will open up more space. That's some seriously precious real estate on a tablet.

I'll have to Google express key remote.

For the money, I was hoping I'd see a big performance boost, but when you consider the sketch potential, along with tge firm factor compared with a clunky old desktop, it's pretty amazing.

Btw do you use artrage or Manga studio? I'm planning on using both for sketching, lineart and coloring.

Well yeah you can get more performance if you buy a new desktop Portability is always a trade off.

I've tried ArtRage and Clip Studio. Both have really good multitouch, but ArtRage doesn't have good palm rejection. Neither does the full version of Sketchbook, although their simpler metro app does.

I mainly use Photoshop, which has no fingerpainting nonsense. Also don't get stray marks in ZBrush.

I took the plunge today, ordering the i7 16 gb version. I plugged an exernal hd into it with some pics and a movie of it to see how fast it played. And how well it displayed. And both felt zippy, as did browsing zbrushcentral.

And they only had the one step up from bottom line m processor on display, so I think I'll be happy. Question:does it come with the variety set of pentips? It was only $10, so I ordered them in case it doesn't.

Do you have issues activating and deactivating zbrush between your systems? (I've pretty much activated on the same single system now for 6 years.)

Looking foreward to more horsepower and a portable system... and a week after I get this, we also have a ultimaker 2+ extended 3d printer arriving as well. It's Christmas in Jan here!

Congrats! You'll get awesome performance in ZBrush with the i7. And I would go crazy with a 3D printer.

I have sp3, so not sure on the pen tips

Also deactivating/activating across machines is quick and easy, as long as they're the same os

Yeah, both will be on windows 10, which I'm pretty happy with.

If you saw the list of things ny wife already wants me to print, you wouldn't believe it... I might never get to my own original stuff! Lol!

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of quality I get from some nice zbrush sculpts.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hi all. I recently picked up a Surface Pro 4, mostly for use as a zBrush sketchbook. I went for the i7 with 8GB ram.

I've downloaded winter and disabled flicks and my performance is good but I'm having major stability problems with zBrush.

Basically, I get a crash when I perform a dynamesh operation. My standard test is to load the program and choose the dynamesh 128 ball from the Lightbox. Generally sculpt it a bit and then dynamesh it again. Most of the time the program immediately crashes. If it doesn't then I can usually continue quite reliably performing more dynamesh without incident. But that first one kills the program about 75% of the time.

Usual error is 'zbrush executable has stopped working' with no real info.

Occasionally I get

INTERNAL ERROR .\List.cpp Line:560

Locked main mem in list-out
    Object:

then a message to email pixologic.

Now, before I go ahead on that front I thought I'd see if anyone here had experienced similar and had a fix. Right now the Surface is unusable for zBrush. Which is rather less than ideal. I appreciate any info you guys might have.

Edit: Should say Surface is running a fully updated Win 10 and I'm using 64bit 4R7 P3
    Last edited by stevildead; 01-16-16 at 06:04 AM. Reason: extra info

From what James said, zbrush should be working fine. Does this happen on every model, or just a specific one?

Hiya

First up just re-edited my previous post. Autocorrect had changed every incidence of the word dynamesh to something else so it must have read very odd. Sorry everyone...

Anyway, it's not a specific model file. I start with the dynamesh128 and that's been my tryout model. I could do some experiments with loading in other models but a basic dynamesh ball should be bulletproof surely?

Edit... and, how weird. I've only given it about 15 minutes of testing but, so far it does seem to only be the dynamesh128 ball that crashes it (that's my normal starting point). Tried the other dynamesh balls and also the fat warrior guy and the dog (both converted to dynamesh). That... is bizarre!

Well, at least you can work around that. Since I have a surfave pro coming in a few days, you got me worried.

Any must have specific surface apps or utilities I should snag for it? The included drawing app seemed pretty basic, but at least better than mspaint...lol!

I've not used my Surface Pro much yet. To be honest its primary usage is for zBrush as I have other machines for other purposes. I hear great things about Sketchbook Pro and Mischief on it though.

Incidentally, other than the crashing problem (that is hopefully an isolated problem) zBrush seems really good. I'm expecting to make myself a custom interface for it though as it's a bit fiddly. Probably going to pair it with small bluetooth keyboard for the keys rather than an on screen solution. It works pretty well with the keyboard cover but I'd like something a bit smaller as the surface is a little too far along my legs on my lap with the keyboard cover attached (the trackpad adds a lot to the size).

My only real warning is that you should be prepared for a lot of time to do all the initial updates. Took me nearly four hours of downloading, installing and rebooting...

Oh, I'm used to long update times between 2 desktops, 1 laptop, one tablet, and 2 smartphones. Manga studio is supposed to be the premier sketching/inking app all the cool kids are using. I'll add that, flipboard, lightwave 3d, and zbrush as my basic apps. I'm really concerned about limited hd space, but I have a ps4 hd in an external case that worked perfectly at the store for data storage. I'm hoping to fin or make a lap table thing for sitting on the couch and working while my wife does homework.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast