ZBrushCentral

Panel Loop and Cell shading test

Hi all,
here is a “quick” trying out and playing around with the new and awesome panel loops and posterize posibilities. I want to share this work. White outline is added in PS.

Very helpful are Rian Kingsliens Panel Tube Videos on Youtube. Many thanks!
I used some of the free insert brushes from Bad King. Beautiful website! Thanks as well. You have to take a look at it:
http://www.badking.com.au

I hope I will find time next year to work more with Zbrush beside my daily job. I am (ZBrush) infected…urrgg! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Happy new year to all!

Best
Tommy
XSPACE GmbH, Munich

Attachments

XFIGHTER1_Tom_Heidenberger.jpg

XFIGHTER2_Tom_Heidenberger.jpg

the new feature is really cool

Very cool! What a beautiful use of this new feature.

Panel Loops is an awesome upgrade but I’m having an issue with it: When using visibility then only the visible portion gets panel looped–as expected–but it’s leaving a rather unsightly gash along the perimeter between it and the invisible part that didn’t get panel looped.

With everything visible (and if previous areas were already Panel Looped) there is an exponential increase of loops over the entire mesh in spite of masking (The previous panel looped areas are getting looped again). My question is if you have a way to get around this or do you only use this feature once like in the Kingslien videos?

I’ve watched the Kingslien videos and he builds up polygrouped areas by masking-polygroup, masking-polygroup, etc., but still only does the Panel Loops just once, so I’m unsure if what I’m asking is possible …?

Thanks much, happy holidays and I hope you get to feeling better soon.
~CG

Hi CG,
first…thanks for your reply and sorry for my stupid wording. I meant “I got the Zbrush virus” :slight_smile: I feel pretty fine at the moment (apart from sitting every night till 3pm in front of the computer and Zbrush with red eyes).

You are totally right. If you “Re”-Panel Zbrush the effect repeats on already paneled polygroups. Update necessary. I am not sure if I got you right regarding the gashes but I think I know what you mean. Could you upload an example? The panels always need some polishing and refinement.

Here are some first experiences from my side.

• Low polymeshes/ dynameshes produces bad results - rough edges which are hard to fix later. It´s better to start with a med/high res poly and retopologize if a lower polycount is needed.
  • To avoid a new panel effect on existing paneled polygroups - Group visible polygons before creating new ones (hmm groups then are lost) or hide other polygroups except the one you want to panel …or split polygroup to a new subtool. Polishing is needed. My edges shows the same rough edges. Try to lower the polisihing slider to avoid effecting masked areas.
  • It helps to start with a medres poly and subdivide the panel polygroup areas with partial masks.
  • I assume the gashes are an effect of too much thickness/ bevel - settings. I would try to lower thickness and set “mask by polygroup to 100” to extrude it manually.
  • Re-Dynameshing of low polys enhances the bad edges effect. After modeling the basic shape I deactivate dynamesh and work with subdvisions. Sometimes it helps to turn off the SMT (Smooth Subdivide Button) to keep sharp edges (the good ones).
  • The “Re”-Paneling effect can produce some interesting effects like cutouts. Look at the test I did today.

If you discover more about the hidden secrets of the panel-effect - please let me know.

Best
Tommy
XSPACE

Panel_demo_Tom_Heidenberger.jpg
A = Panel effect on lowres poly
B = Same panel effect on medres poly
C= + smooth effect 5 - 10 x
Big top sphere (2013 with thin calligraphic lines is partially subdivided), the polygroup/hide + different panel effects worked fine in this case.