ZBrushCentral

Winter is coming: A Christmas special

Hello guys, This is my first thread here (Actually I have another one, some donkey years ago but I killed the character before long), & while this work piece is not sculpt centric with billionaires of polygons like many here, but Zbrush have been integral to this project, & at least 70% of the objects have been touch by Zbrush.

It seems appropriate also, Merry Christmas, everyone.

I have this on CGTalk as well, which is my main Go to CG forum, but I wish to also share this image with the community here, & a big thank you to the customer support for Pologic & the people who make this wonderful software, otherwise thios piece will not be possible.

Final image are near complete, & its Christmas soon. So I will do more of a reverse; show the near complete final images, then break down the areas & models, & some of the Technique & workflow use.

Current WIP image:

Attachments

FinalComposition05Small.jpg

Here a link to the original thread in CGTalk:

Just some answers to frequently asked questions.

Who is this girl? Is she your daughter, or is she a young Kate Middleton?

She is not my daughter, but I will be happy if my future daughter is this cute, & no, she is not modeled after Princess Kate.

Why is the original title call Winter is coming? Is it a cheeky take on Game of Throne?

Yes, I am a big fan of Game of Throne, which I believe a lot of people here are as well, but if you see the original concept art in my link, you will understand the reason. It was suppose to be a piece about environmental consciousnesses, but at some point, I decided to make a ‘quick’ Christmas image (to be send to my friend, for Christmas), but the what is suppose to be a ‘quick’ image turn into a full composition image, as shown in original post.

What is ‘Frohe Weihnachten’? That,s German for Merry Christmas, & I intend to have also in Portuguese & English. By the way, anyone know the correct greeting in Portuguese or more specifically, what is the correct greeting in Brasil?

Some answer to the technical aspect of the image:

• Falling snow is create by Maya snow Particle effect.
  • The leaves on the door & door frame decorations, as will as the furs on the teddy bear, hat, & jacket are all done using Maya Fur.
  • Hair is done using Maya Hair, but have been touch up in post work.
  • Image is rendered within Maya, using Mental ray renderer.
  • No animal is hurt in the making of this project.

Original concept picture create by me. I almost never create something unless I have a clear concept.
SophiaXmasSpecialComposeConcept.jpg

Then I decide a little later to add a background…
Background Studies.jpg
All 3 backgrounds are quick photoshop chop using images from google searches, after gathering feedbacks from people (facebook & CG Talk), Background B was the clear favorite, & so it was choose, & I then start making the background, base off the concept.

Nice work. And merry Christmas !

Sherlock’s daughter, of course! Elementary, when you read the house number.

Nice Christmas card. I like the pencil sketch.

Rory

Hi,

just a couple of comments that I think may help from an outsider.

I find the gloves distracting - maybe its just the displacement but i think it would benefit from that part of the image not having a heavily active surface.
Also the eyes - now I know the look your going for but a few mills on the camera right eye closer and up to the nose rotated wont hurt and while I’m on the face pores and surface deformities like blemishes would go along way to pushing this image and lastly a simple contrast play and DOF would take this from what you have to what you want.

All the best and Merry whatever your religious bent is.

Dan.

Cool Christmas card. I like. :wink:

What I think of this piece I can’t put into words. Just a magnificent piece. Very traditional, Very simple. Something that simply say’s of not taking things for granted & keeping your haliday spirit. I love the old family traditions watching my kids waking up early christmas morning & watching their faces when they see whats waiting under the tree. You work is just that. Great & fantastic work. Hats off & hands down. Geart job.

hey,

ja ist schön geworden :slight_smile: Gefällt mir.

Thanks everyone, well, I guess today is not the end of the world, so we will all get to celebrate Christmas!

to Ray’s spirit, Philuxius, Balthazar76, & Phosforced,

Thanks for the kind word. I will send this to my friends as well, I hope they like it too.

to Rory_L,

You are the first person to notice the little Easter egg I put, but there is another. Her favorite TV series involve a regular guy turn super spy, & the evidence can be found in the picture. :wink:

& thanks for the kind words.

Hi deckard01,

Thanks for the comments, I see what I can do, there isn’t a lot of time left.

To share the progress. I spend a lot of time to make the smile on her face. Doesn’t she looks adorable on the 3rd quarter view, maybe I should make an image with this view? :smiley:

The smile on a child is the most beautiful thing in the world, & I hope I achieve this in my model.

Ok, this is the final image. For information, I added some pokes to her face, & edit a little on the fur on the hat.
ChristmasGreetingEnglishResizeV2.jpg

I post full size & other language option soon. Cheer & Merry Christmas.

Attachments

ChristmasGreetingEnglishResize.jpg

Wallpaper size images can be found here.

Merry Christmas in English
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8297092856_357e82c08a_h.jpg

Feliz Natal (Portuguese)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8297092118_a5e29d50a5_h.jpg

No text
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8297091490_85492ed28f_h.jpg

Frohe Weihnachten (German)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8296043709_688107a174_h.jpg

(Chinese)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8492/8297094944_661a77fdc3_h.jpg

I can make it in other languages by request, otherwise, just use the No text image to add your own greeting. Cheers.

Really nice. Sweet picture. cheers.

Thanks a lot.

Great Christmas image, and a marry Christmas to you too :):+1:

great Christmas Card and a Merry Christmas to you :slight_smile: thanks pkd

marry Christmas to you too. :wink: