ZBrushCentral

Predator (1987)

Hi guys!

I was working on a Zbrush sculpture/3D model of the Predator earlier this year, and I liked it. I just always felt that the likeness was off (I was trying to capture the '87 original Predator likeness).

So I decided to revisit this character (my absolute most favorite Stan Winston creature ever). Here’s what he looks like currently:

More soon!

Attachments

87_Pred_revisited.jpg

Looks good dude, keep it up. Good details

Thanks man!
Here’s another update:
Predator.jpg

Am starting to rough out skin detail and overall structure :slight_smile:

Last update for the day :slight_smile:

Haven’t touched the top or back of his head yet. More tomorrow!

The likeness (I hope) is definitely getting closer :slight_smile:

Got a chance to put some more time in this morning :slight_smile: Definitely pretty happy with the way he’s turning out so far!

Angles.jpgFace.jpg

Starting to use Spotlight to determin more exact spotting placement :slight_smile:

Getting pretty far along in terms of full texturing/polypainting his head :slight_smile:

Pred_Full_color_2.jpgAny thoughts/crits so far?

Omg. Nice job bro.i fllow u in past post…u become better and better

looking good. the critiques i have is that the “teeth” could use a bit more base around them, at the moment they look a little… glued on? haha thats the only way for me to explain it. also the head seems like it could just be wider overall. could be just me though. keep up the good work!

@ r. taghwaei: Thank you so much for your kind words! :slight_smile:

@ Shepard. B: Thank you for the feedback! I definitely agree about the mandibles/teeth. Part of them not blending well is intentional (because I want to leave them as seperate geometry/subTools that can be printed individually in addition to the head; so that they can actually be placed and glued into the head as seperate components for a 1/6 figure project :slight_smile: Here’s a more realistic render:

As far as the head width is concerned, after looking at a ton of reference pics, I really think I finally got it right :slight_smile: It really was tough to nail proportionally. But the head is at it’s widest at the cranium and lower jaw (for the original Predator design). If I make it any wider now, it just looks off and funny.

I’ve rendered out and uploaded a Turntable to Youtube, you can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Jm5MHUAlE&feature=player_detailpage

Please watch it in HD! :slight_smile:

better and better(i said that)

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Here’s another update!

Starting to rough in armor :slight_smile: Things I have yet to add:

• netting
  • dread rings
  • gauntlets
  • gloves
  • shoes
  • elbow and knee straps
  • tubing
  • bone trophies
    LOL…long list, but he’s getting there! Definitely think the likeness is getting much better!

More Predator 3D model progess! Imported the main meshes into 3ds MAX, and am starting to lay out (and redo) a bunch of his armor parts. :slight_smile:

Still loads to do, but it’s taking shape!

Really inspiring:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Thank you very much!

Here is the first frame of the Predator’s facial rig test animation sequence (which hopefully should be done rendering tomorrow; in HD) :slight_smile: Instead of rigging his face with bones, I did all of his mandible and facial expressions using morph/blend shapes created in Zbrush. Video soon!

superawesomastic i love em all

amazing progress man
can you mind telling me how did you do the net vest?
cheers and thanks in advance

Very nice indeed.

Thanks so much everyone!

@ Omar: The netting was achieved by applying a tileable tile and grout material in 3ds MAX to the unwrapped body mesh. I then set the tiles to not render, so all I was left with was the grout. I then inverted the depth (so the grout became convex). I then rendered that to a texture for use in the bump, diffuse and opacity slots. :slight_smile: Hope that makes sense!
As promised, here’s the facial rig test video :slight_smile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8v13BwBe42o

Youtube really makes your videos terribly dark :frowning: