Super Moderator User Gallery

Lightbulb NEW! Character Assets Update #7 (12-12-12): "Viper" Ghillie Suit Creation Videos

Since the release ZBrush 4R4, we've presented more than 20 ZClassroom videos that are available at ZClassroom at Pixologic.com.
    We are delighted to add to this list another set of movies created by ZBrushCentral member Joseph Drust aka Piggyson.

About Joseph Drust

Joseph has over ten years of experience working in the video game industry as a character artist with a focus on modeling and sculpting. He has created character assets for games including Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Ben 10 Alien Force, Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon, and most recently Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

Joseph currently works as a lead character artist for Ubisoft Entertainment (Red Storm Entertainment) in Cary, North Carolina. Joseph is also a beta team member for Pixologic's ZBrush and a certified ZBrush Instructor. In his free time Joseph kit bashes Kidrobot's Munny Vinyl figures and gives demos on ZBrush to local schools.

You can find out more about Joseph and his artwork at Joseph Drust Website as well as Joseph's ZBrushCentral User Gallery

"MatCap Baker" ZPlug-In click here

"ZWelder" and "Insert Mesh Master" click here

From the outset, you'll quickly see and hear Joseph's incredible penchant for paying attention to detail and his commitment to accuracy. His approach is unique and makes for extremely close replicas of the real deal. Joseph utilizes military gear reference photos and precise schematics. Most importantly, these videos are in real time, allowing Joseph to clearly outline every function he uses in ZBrush 4R4 to create these digital assets.

We hope you'll enjoy Joseph's process!

To view previously posted videos in this series, please visit Joseph's personal class of videos inside ZClassroom.

Visit ZClassroom

or

ZBrushCentral

Creating a "Viper Hood"Part 1 (12-3-12)

In this next series Joseph advances into the creation of a "Viper" Ghillie sniper suit. He provides the latest techniques
    to create a full "Ghillie" suite with features like MicroMesh and Qremesher in ZBrush 4R4. ENJOY!

Creating a "Viper Hood"Part 2 (12-3-12)

Watch Joseph finish off the "Viper" with some advanced techniques with MicroMesh functionality inside ZBrush 4R4 !

"Viper Hood" Detailing Part 1 (12-5-12)

Joseph continues to refine his characters "ghillie" suit by using Insert Mesh to apply straps to the sleeves.

"Viper Hood" Detailing Part 2 (12-5-12)

Joseph uses Insert Mesh with curve settings applied to save time and energy on sculpting.

"Ghillie" Suit Webbing Part 1 (12-7-12)

See how Joseph brings this Viper "Ghillie" suit to completion with the use of FiberMesh in this 4 part series. In part 1 he will be demonstrating his knowledge of Fibermesh control by creating individual groups of fibers.

"Ghillie" Suit Webbing Part 2 (12-7-12)

With the first fiber group created, more FiberMesh Techniques are used to groom this to perfection, while using some Transpose functions for positioning.

"Ghillie" Suit Webbing Part 3 (12-7-12)

Joseph further demonstrates Transpose features to duplicate and position these fiber groups, as well as new merge and grooming functions added in ZBrush 4r4.

"Ghillie" Suit Webbing Part 4(12-7-12)
    Finishing off the final touches for the "Ghillie" fibers, Joseph shows the capability of grouping fibers better for groom control, as well as using SubTool Master for final Mirroring of geometry.

Building Game Resolution Mesh Part 1 NEW! (12-12-12)

Joseph demonstrates how he rebuilds a high resolution sculpted and textured object for final in-game assets. ZBrush topology, texture maps, and normal maps are a few of the functions displayed in this 3 part series.

Building Game Resolution Mesh Part 2 NEW! (12-12-12)

Now that the shoe has been rebuilt with ZBrush topology in part 1, UV Master Plugin is applied for quick UV generation with easily made adjustments.

Building Game Resolution Mesh Part 3 NEW! (12-12-12)

With UV's and clean topology, Joseph creates the final maps necessary for game mesh output. Also showing off his own custom built "MatCap Plug-in" allowing for instant material change directly to texture maps.

Questions about using ZBrush? Check out these valuable resources:

ZBrush Tutorial Movies: Link
    Download Center: (PDF documentation, models, plugins): Link

Online Documentation: Link

ZBC FAQ: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/faq.php
    ZBC Advanced Search:
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/search....st&forumchoice

Senior Member User Gallery

Default Mind blown

Joseph,

I could kiss you on the mouth....in a purely soul to soul manner mind you, because this is pure joy for me to see! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. It is like some kind of mad sorcery. Zbrush is so damn awesome.

Derek

User Gallery

Thank you very much Pixologic ! Mr Joseph

Greetings.
    Last edited by patokali; 12-03-12 at 05:58 PM.

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to create these for us all! I know how much time goes into making nice videos and you and Mike P. Have set a new high standard for training material. I really appreciate all your efforts and I really appreciate Pixologic for being the type of artist driven company that they are. I am continually blown away by their innovation and generosity! It makes me proud to be part of the greatest artist community on the web!

Thanks all! NickZ.

this is another fantastic feature under the hood of zbrush

... thanks joseph and pixologic for teaching us so damn good!!!

Thumbs up

Threads like this is what separates Pixologic from their competitors. Also kudos to Joseph for sharing your technique, and simplifying something that looks complicated, in a way that inspires others. Thanks Aurick and Pixologic!

Thanks Mr Joseph.

Thumbs up <3

thank you SO MUCH for all these great tutorials!!!

Thank you very much, Joseph! These are gonna be some very popular videos!

User Gallery

Thanks for all the hardwork that you are putting in just to share with us,, i really aprieciate it.
    I'm working with zbrush for almost a year,,and ever since i started modeling in general i wanted to make a
    Ghillie suit,, it was alway's ... at the kinda level..wich is not what i was aiming at, you got me all hyped up for the rest of the vids,

Thanks !!

Member User Gallery

Joe, you're a rock star buddy! Outstanding tutorials.

Thanx Joseph, i was itching for another tut

User Gallery

Fiendishly clever and most inspiring and that is merely the first two videos!!
    You have opened my eyes to functionality and creative methodology I had never considered.
    Look forward very much to see what further gems await.
    Thank you Joseph , Aurick and Pixologic for these .
    ......Nobody tries to be lah-di-dah or uppity--There's a cup-o'-tea for all.

This is totally awesome!

New Member User Gallery

Default Thanks - top tut -

this tutorial is pure gold - thank you much! especially for your way to do these awesome tutorials - full coverage and adding serious side info without much fuzz. no questions left - all delivered in one package. amazing.

best regards from hamburg.
    mads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast