New Member Follow User Gallery

Default I need a push in the right direction

Hey guys,

So here is where I stand. I'm doing a Game Art degree right now and I've been using 3dsmax as my main modelling tool.
    A while ago I've found Zbrush and started to use it trying to make some stuff for games.
    This is what I've made a while ago, I used decimination master (pre qremesher) to make these low poly etc, which is actually not the right thing to do I've heard. This was quite a while ago ( I believe early zbrush 3)

http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~viktor1/e...bert_groot.jpg
    http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~viktor1/e...gger_groot.jpg

So I am kind of stuck... A lot of tutorials I find on Zbrush 4r4 are all about making high poly characters for movies and such, no unwrapping, normal mapping etc.
    Does any one happen to know some tutorial series that uses all the right techniques and explains how to fully create a ingame character from A to Z in zbrush?

I find it hard to get on the right track of things.
    For example, do you texture the highpoly and then somehow bake the texture into the low poly,
    or does one subdivide the lowpoly texture it and go to the 1st subdivision and bake?
    I really don't have a clue how the workflow works :/

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

You're post is in the wrong section, this is the Sculptris thread. But I'll try and answer.
    Zbrush uses Vertex Painting, assigning colors to the geometry, so the more detail (high polycount) in the model, the more detail in the Paint. Then, when UV-Mapped, the colors can be "Baked" to a texture map. Then, the differences between the high poly surface and a lower subdivision, can be "baked" to a normal Map.
    Many game artists prefer to "Retopo" once the high-poly model is finished. Game models should be fairly "Low Poly", especially if they're meant to be animated. Zbrush, Blender, 3DCoat and many others have Retopo tools, allowing new geometry to be projected onto another model as it's built ....
    Then in Zbrush there is a way to bring in your Low-poly as the Low-subdivision and have Zbrush rebuild the steps in between, this was introduced with Dynamesh. There's also a Free app called Xnormal that will "Bake" the textures and normals from a High Poly model to a Low Poly model, even if the UV's are not the same. Look through some of the Dominance War V Challenge entries for a better idea how this all works ....

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for the reply.
    Where should I have posted this then btw?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default re

The Zbrush Main forum .... Sculptris ... is they're little free app ..... and this is the Sculptris forum .... the Zbrush-ers aren't looking here ...