ZBrushCentral

Gaston Lagaffe

For all of you who are into Belgian comics, here’s André Franquin’s lazy anti-hero Gaston Lagaffe in 3D. Enjoy!

Attachments

Gaston.jpg

dig it–a lot!

omg… my absolut favorite character of all time. i never laugh so much to a cartoon as this character :smiley:
Absolutely amazing Sculpt.

Cant you make him in a typical Gaston Position, would love to see that.

Top of the art. cheers

my favourite comic character too, and wonderfully modeled :slight_smile:

M’enfin?!?!

Gaston is the best! lol

Nice work here, but I’d probably try to add some white to the eyes. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Excelent work, the 3d interpretation is outstanding!

Great models and colors!!
cool!

Outstanding model!
could you share a bit about the making of?

i am more a fan of Franquins other great charas.

how about a Spirou and Fantasio that way?

or Graf Champignac, zyclotrop, marsupilami, Zantafio, so many great characters to choose from…

fantastic piece! very true to the comic. you did a great conversion.
my only crit would be, his sss might be a bit to much.

-r

Thanks for all your comments and kind words!
Lepra - I have added a typical Gaston pose.
highlander_72 - as to the white of the eyes this is a later representation of Gaston where Franquin disposes of the white of the eyes and takes a Tintin approach instead. However, I DO like his earlier style…
Jake Rupert - I found this image http://www.actuabd.com/La-grande-presse-dynamise-la-BD so from there I just cut it up and applied it to the grid, then started sculpting and adding polygroups etc. Strands of hair: thin selections that were extruded, smoothed and inflated. Given the time (and money) I would have a ball creating the whole Franquin universe because frankly (Franquinly), he’s a genius if there ever was one! Hopefully, in the wake of Tintin, somebody decides to make a similar effort to make justice to Gaston, Spirou, Fantasio and all the others. No lack of good stories either!
rasmusW - you’re right, a tad much sss so I’ve toned it down for this render.

Gaston_posed.jpg

Attachments

Gaston_posed.jpg

Gaston.jpg

Funny, i thought the same about the sss at first, but
now i like the first version better.

a spirou and fantasi movie would be great. Much better and modern stories then Tin Tin.
best to take the Zyclotrop stories.
Genial as you said…

Aha! But isnt it the later versions, that have the white?!?! Gotta check with the albums. lol

If somebody does decide to make a Spirou & Fantasio movie, I sure hope they’ll be French or Belgian. Otherwise they’ll surely ruin it by adapting it to some more US-suitable junk. This is so purely mainland European that I’m sure anybody else would screw it up very badly.

Cheers!

As a belgian, I like your Guust (that’s what hé called in flemisch) a lot !!!
It’s the same loose style that Franquin would use to draw the figure.
Keep up the good work !!!

Very nice reproduction of Gaston! you should do his Gaphophone music instrument it shouldn’t be too complex to do (I did one years ago) and would create a nice composition!
More! :slight_smile: