1. #46
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    31
    Posts
    165
    Last edited by jBogh; 11-17-12 at 07:45 PM.

  2. #47

    Default

    Wife and I have enjoyed this show from the first episode on. Thanks for sharing what you do with us. Great to see all the work that goes into it.

  3. #48
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Age
    43
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Thank you so much for posting all that! The cool creature effects are one of the main reasons why I watch this show! Awesome work!

  4. #49
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Wow. Beautiful work. Thanks for explaining your process behind it. I've always been interested in creating a character that could morph though had no clue what to do to go about doing it. Maybe based on what you mentioned, I can try to accomplish this.

    Does the use of layers actually cause the UVs of the original head to adjust or did you (or someone in the team) specifically alter them so the morph would appear smooth?

  5. #50
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Thanks a lot for this timelapse.
    So cool to see your workflow.
    So cool to see timelapse movie creation with undo history.

  6. #51
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    31
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prophet74 View Post
    Wife and I have enjoyed this show from the first episode on. Thanks for sharing what you do with us. Great to see all the work that goes into it.


    hey prophet glad you and your wife enjoy the show so much! Thanks for stoppin by.

    Quote Originally Posted by Codexus View Post
    Thank you so much for posting all that! The cool creature effects are one of the main reasons why I watch this show! Awesome work!


    Codexus thanks!! It's so cool to hear back from fans of the show!

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGal711 View Post
    Wow. Beautiful work. Thanks for explaining your process behind it. I've always been interested in creating a character that could morph though had no clue what to do to go about doing it. Maybe based on what you mentioned, I can try to accomplish this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGal711 View Post

    Does the use of layers actually cause the UVs of the original head to adjust or did you (or someone in the team) specifically alter them so the morph would appear smooth?


    Hey DemonGal great question. That's actually what makes the morphs so challenging sometimes. Once the model is UV'd, they are locked in for both the base and the morph.
    Texture stretching can be an issue, but we are usually able to resolve it well in a 3D painting workflow via ZBrush, MudBox, or Mari.
    Hope that made sense! 1 UV set for both morph targets. Dont be afraid to ask for help on your future morph!

    Quote Originally Posted by Knacki View Post
    Thanks a lot for this timelapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knacki View Post
    So cool to see your workflow.
    So cool to see timelapse movie creation with undo history.


    Knacki thanks!
    I'm really diggin the Undo Forward History stuff too, although part of me wishes it was handled in a more Global manor.
    i.e. multiple subtools tied together through history somehow. Would be nice to be able to see the reference imagery and views I stored while modeling too.
    Looking forward to how these features will evolve!
    Last edited by jBogh; 11-26-12 at 07:14 PM.

  7. #52
    New Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    jBogh, great works. I really loved watching your timelapse. I love morphs, I think it is one of the best features in the 3D world.

    I have a question, how did you manage to put a reference image behind your 3d model? every time I see an artist do it in Zbrush, the reference moves around with the camera, while yours ended up being static, any tip?

    Thanks for sharing your work!

  8. #53

    Default

    Just amazing. You mentioned that you didn't have a lot of time to put these together. What's your average?
    Thanks so much for sharing the time lapse! Awesome.
    -Steve

  9. #54
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    31
    Posts
    165

    Default John Kreski - Windego

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratone View Post
    jBogh, great works. I really loved watching your timelapse. I love morphs, I think it is one of the best features in the 3D world.

    I have a question, how did you manage to put a reference image behind your 3d model? every time I see an artist do it in Zbrush, the reference moves around with the camera, while yours ended up being static, any tip?

    Thanks for sharing your work!
    Hey Ratone, Thanks for your interest in my work! When using reference I use the Reference Views plugin under Texture>Image Plane>Reference Views.
    I uploaded a Custom Ui a few posts back that is heavily based on my production use of reference. It has everything included if for some reason you don't already have the Image plane plugin installed.
    Relocating the Stored View Buttons to the bottom right corner of the interface really sped things up for me so I thought it would be a good thing to share.

    Basically you are importing your reference images through the Texture menu.
    Then using the Reference Image panel you can load that image onto the canvas.
    Next use the Model Opacity Slider to dial the opacity down enough so you can see through your model to the image behind it.
    That is Key! Wireframe will help you see your models curvature while its opacity is lowered.
    SkinShade04 and a few of the lighter matcaps are better to use when you have a low opacity model.
    The darker matcaps just make you strain to see anything.

    I sometimes use Spotlight for reference images when I don't need to exactly line something up or store the view.
    But.... Spotlight overlays the image on top of your model, where as the Reference Image route puts the image on a plane behind your model.
    I find the latter much more useful. Hope that was clear enough for you. Let me know if you have anymore questions!
    I'm thinking about putting a little workflow tutorial together if people are interested in seeing how I set up from the start as well as use the stored reference views in tandem with spotlight to produce some really fast texturing results.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Just amazing. You mentioned that you didn't have a lot of time to put these together. What's your average?
    Thanks so much for sharing the time lapse! Awesome.
    Thanks so much Steve! The time frame per character is usually about a week to a week and a half for both the Human double and the Creature Morph. That's about the average so far.
    But there have been a few cases like with Kimura the Jackal Assassin, where I basically had a day and a half to get the morph completed.
    Things change last minute quite often so flexibility and speed has been of the utmost importance.
    Thanks for the kind words!


    Here's a few more...


  10. #55

    Default

    Brilliant work! I keep coming back to see what inspiring work you post next .

  11. #56
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    31
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VFXdaily View Post
    Brilliant work! I keep coming back to see what inspiring work you post next .
    Thanks so much Hoping to have some more posted up in the near future!

  12. #57
    Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    31
    Posts
    165

    Default GRIMM Season 2 - EP 221

    Hey all, it's been a while since I posted any new work here!
    This is from the end of Season 2, the episode leading into the Finale.
    I want to give another shout out to all my team mates @ HIVE-FX for all the hard work they've put into creating effects like these in such a tight time-frame!
    We've grown a lot together as a team and I really appreciate what each one of them bring to the table, both as artists and friends!
    And here's to officially landing a 3rd season!!
    HIVE-FX GRIMM REEL 2013


    Baron -Pufferfish-
    Frau -Hexen-
    ZBrush Renders (4r6):




    Promo Stills:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •