Senior Member User Gallery

Default Pirates vs Ninjas

I thought I'd post a few images and a link. The images are just CG design concepts I did in Scupltris. I'll do the finals in Zbrush. The Sculptris models are just too heavy to animate and weight properly but I love designing in it. I stopped doing clay maquettes and go straight to Sculptris. It's easy then to export and paint the models and even do some expressions and poses.

Here's a link to the web site. There's a lot more images as well as grabs from something called Things That Go Bump which will hopefully be the follow up film.

[URL]http://piratesvsninjasthemotionpicture.com/index.html[/URL]

Well I can't seem to upload more images. Just check the web link above to see the rest. Click on the Pirates vs Ninjas Art button to see the rest. There's a lot of other content on the web site and if you want to support Pirates vs Ninjas or possibly Things That Go Bump check out the Kickstarter links. The web pages explain everything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ship-Night-34-Sized.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	329126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crewman-10-two.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	329128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angry-Ninja.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	329129  
    [URL]http://thecrimsonbard.com/[/URL]

Default re

Yes, Sculptris is easy to Design in. It's also easy to paint your (quad) model in too .... If you don't have Zbrush. I read your article on how to make a low-budget CG film .... Have you used Daz Studio? ... I'm still just a hobbyist, and haven't had much time lately, but there's a recent tutorial on making Full Body Morphs for Genesis, with scaling and moving of the joints, and it works Great !! As long as you stick to Bi-ped characters, you can mold that Genesis ball of wax into any shape you want and get an instant, animate-able skeleton, with just a few mouse clicks. And the same for Animating with it. The Puppeteer Tab will actually morph the character between poses, and record it for you. You can then further edit in the Timeline, or use the tools in AniMate ..... which are even better. No, I'm not a Rep! I won't make a dime on this. But if you're really looking at animation, you should check out Daz Studio 4.5xx .... It's Free (for Now) comes with the Genesis Character. Any of the Victoria 4, Micheal 4, and other gen4 skin textures and Clothing will conform to Genesis. And there's tons of Freebies at Renderosity.com and ShareCG.com to get your started!! .. I even Re-UVmapped Genesis and was able to import my UV's ... so I can Paint my character Skins in Sculptris. And Genesis (SubD-0) imports straight into Sculptris, quads only, no Pie-cut circles. Great both for making your morphs, and painting your model. Just leave detail at 0, don't Subdivide, and don't use Symmetry (gotta keep the vertex order) ...... use Blender if you need Symmetry ......

What a brilliant idea, storyline. It will most certainly be fun to watch. Great character work by the way.

New Member User Gallery

Wow, Belseth, you designed both these characters in Sculptris?? Great job!! I've been wanting to do a model of a ninja comic book character I've been working on, so your design inspires me. I just figured out how to do clothing in Sculptris after watching a Zbrush tutorial, but it should work the same way, pretty much. Sculptris doesn't have Mesh extraction, specifically, but I could just create a mask then "inflate" it to create shirts, pants, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman99 View Post
    Wow, Belseth, you designed both these characters in Sculptris?? Great job!! I've been wanting to do a model of a ninja comic book character I've been working on, so your design inspires me. I just figured out how to do clothing in Sculptris after watching a Zbrush tutorial, but it should work the same way, pretty much. Sculptris doesn't have Mesh extraction, specifically, but I could just create a mask then "inflate" it to create shirts, pants, etc.
    I mostly use Sculptris for characters in the design stage. The models are tough to rig and animate, too poly dense. I can work really fast and loose much faster than clay so I skip the clay figure studies and go straight to Sculptris from the rough sketch. I can then paint and do a quick rig to see how the design will look on film. Sadly Sculptris is orphanware. There isn't going to be any new updates so no layers or tool improvements. A couple more updates and it would have been a staggering tool.

Unfortunately The Pirates VS Ninja project has been shelved for now. No luck raising the money and I'm down to working off a half dead three year old iMac. I'm trying to push my "Things That Go Bump" project now. Look for a major new post on it in a week or two. It's really the dream project but I wanted to wait until I had the time and money to do it right. I'm out of time so I'm having to do a hail mary to try to get interest. If this project is a dead end I'm forced into early retirement. I seem to have a credibility gap in that I'm an old timer in the effects industry and I'm well known even now in some circles. I did everything from Lord of the Rings to art directing for Disney but the general public doesn't know who I am so crowdsourcing has been a bust. I also suck at social media so getting word out has been impossible. I still hope to make PVN one day the script is a lot of fun with lots of twisted humor. I burned through all my resources making that unreleased CG film, my partner refuses to let it be finished or released, so crowdsourcing is my only option. After having a backer refuse to let me release a film after nearly four years of work there's no way I'll ever try that again.

Good luck with your project!

New Member User Gallery

Hello Belseth,
    Wow it sounds like you've got some awesome experience under your belt! I'm sorry to hear you've had some crummy luck with your recent projects. I'm still a bit new to the 3d animation thing, but is there a way to take your Sculptris (or Zbrush) model into another program and modify it so it isn't so poly-dense? I hate modeling in most other programs. They just aren't intuitive for organic modeling. I didn't realize Sculptris was now officially dead. I kind of assumed it might be after Pixologic bought it out, but was hoping not. I may have to switch over to Zbrush when I get enough money.

Keep up the faith and the good work, no matter what you end up doing. I'll keep my fingers crossed to see your projects in the future =) Bye bye

--Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jman99 View Post
    Hello Belseth,
    Wow it sounds like you've got some awesome experience under your belt! I'm sorry to hear you've had some crummy luck with your recent projects. I'm still a bit new to the 3d animation thing, but is there a way to take your Sculptris (or Zbrush) model into another program and modify it so it isn't so poly-dense? I hate modeling in most other programs. They just aren't intuitive for organic modeling. I didn't realize Sculptris was now officially dead. I kind of assumed it might be after Pixologic bought it out, but was hoping not. I may have to switch over to Zbrush when I get enough money.

Keep up the faith and the good work, no matter what you end up doing. I'll keep my fingers crossed to see your projects in the future =) Bye bye

--Jason
    It's the only major downside with Sculptris, there's no way to lower the count once it's exported you can only increase it. Zbrush actually works from a low res version of the model and generally you animate it at the lower res then in the render it defaults to the high count version. Maya is really touchy about that and it really hates poly dense models.

The guy who wrote Sculptris didn't want to develop it more for some reason. When he sold out to Pixologic they hired him to do the GoZ export and had him change the keyboard shortcuts to be Zbrush friendly which I found annoying. Pixologic apparently had no interest in developing it they are mostly using it as a come on for Zbrush. I take it Blender has a similar type modeler built in now. Personally I can't stand Blender mostly because they made sure the interface was unlike anything ever in the history of CG making the learning curve for some one working in CG a nightmare. If you are new it'll be a 100X easier to learn than for some one like me, I've got 20+ years of CG experience I'd have to unlearn. It's free and will work on Mac or Windows. Blender is extremely powerful but not really an option for me. Check it out at Blender.org.

New Member User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Belseth View Post
    It's the only major downside with Sculptris, there's no way to lower the count once it's exported you can only increase it. Zbrush actually works from a low res version of the model and generally you animate it at the lower res then in the render it defaults to the high count version. Maya is really touchy about that and it really hates poly dense models.

The guy who wrote Sculptris didn't want to develop it more for some reason. When he sold out to Pixologic they hired him to do the GoZ export and had him change the keyboard shortcuts to be Zbrush friendly which I found annoying. Pixologic apparently had no interest in developing it they are mostly using it as a come on for Zbrush. I take it Blender has a similar type modeler built in now. Personally I can't stand Blender mostly because they made sure the interface was unlike anything ever in the history of CG making the learning curve for some one working in CG a nightmare. If you are new it'll be a 100X easier to learn than for some one like me, I've got 20+ years of CG experience I'd have to unlearn. It's free and will work on Mac or Windows. Blender is extremely powerful but not really an option for me. Check it out at Blender.org.
    Well that's good to know that Zbrush will adjust itself for the animation and rendering. I didn't know that, but thought I had heard something like it. I agree with you about Blender. I kind of got used to the interface, as foreign as it is, but the sculpting tools just aren't great for me. I heard someone else say they were more like Zbrush now, but I certainly didn't see that when I last tried it out (the newest build). Maybe I'll try it again. Well, I'll keep at it and hopefully have something to show you one day =) Have a nice week!