New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Terror From The Deep!

Hi everybody!
    This is my submission for the Halloween Challenge 2012, I decided I'd see it through to completion and then post some making of/WIP picks to show how I did it. The subject is the Creature of the Black Lagoon or the Gill-Man as he's some times referred to as. I was inspired by the pool scene from caddy shack and wanted to do an homage in a spooky Halloween style, So relax it's just a Baby Ruth... Or is it? *lightning crash*

Happy Halloween!

For the uninitiated I'll link to the pool scene from Caddy Shack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZR36t.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	329102  

To start to get my head around how the character should look I did a quick painting in Photoshop using various reference pictures from Google. Just so I can get a good idea of the wrinkles and shapes.

I first started the character using Zspheres, then some nudging to get the desired shape. Lots of blocking in and meticulously sculpting each scale. I used mainly clay tubes and damien standard for sculpting when it came time for the texture painting I used a lot of the built in alphas. The words I made using shadow box.

The final product ended up being a bit more skinny and dorky. The whole thing took me about a week and then I gave myself another week for polish.

Love seeing all the stuff people are posting the closer we get to the DEAD line. *Thunder Crash*

Here's a quick turn around. Enjoy.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Nice

I like your creature sculpt....surprised I didn't see more lagoon monsters.....DEAD line..HA!
    Now who else wanna f@%k wit Hollywood Court

Thanks, yeah I feel the creature takes the back seat compared to a lot of the other classic Universial monsters. Very under appreciated.