ZBrushCentral

How is the criteria set?

First off, this is in no way to take away from those that have been selected to be “top row”… it is just a simple question.

I have seen some pretty amazing work on this forum, some VERY astounding pieces, from some astonishingly humble artists. My question is… how are the criteria set to determine who and or what gets “top row?”

Again, do not assume that I am trashing any of the artists that have made that slot, but, there are some pieces that have been placed there, that are NOT on the same level as a number of others that have not been moved to top row.

There have been some truly realistic pieces that have been passed over, yet others, that are… lacking, gets the nod. Can someone please explain the process of selection, or maybe the secret voting that takes place, because I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this or express some concern over the selections at times.

As I have stated… the artists on this forum are beyond my skills to attain… that has been proven to me EVERY time I come here. Yet, there are those that surely have a caliber of skill, that seems beyond others, and they aren’t recognized as such.

Forgive my bluntness in asking, and my inability to just sit back and enjoy the art… I am just looking for clarity.

Have a blessed day,
-kmkenpo

When Caligari had forums and galleries, I often wondered that.

I am guessing that, other than myself, there is only one other person concerned with this? Wow, kind of figured more people would at least be curious.

With some of the threads having a large following expressing how great the artist’s work is, only to have some other artist get the green light after having only a few accolades… it makes me wonder.

Have a blessed day,
-kmkenpo

Artwork is hard to define. What one sees may be a feast for his eyes, or perhaps not. Depends on your tastes.

Many top row stuff show us a profesional use of ZBrush in the industry and that ZBrush is not only best at sculpting, but is also great in texturing, rendering, non-organic modeling or something not usuall. Study the gallery and you will see.

In my eyes, there are many works here taht shoudl be in top row (but arent) but everything on the top row deservs to be there in 100%.

There have been some truly realistic pieces that have been passed over…

Just because something is realistic doesn’t mean it’s better than something that’s stylized.

I also wonder at times why something gets top row over other pieces that I think also deserve the honor. I usually don’t think about it long though as art is very subjective.

My guess is that it’s not just the art being judged but also the techniques and boundaries of the tool (Zbrush) being pushed to its limits or something outside the box. A work that really shows the broad range of Zbrush’s abilities can be more valuable than another ‘realistic’ rendering. Zbrush is a variety of tools in one. The output varies from mobile games to high definition movies to physical printed models. There’s modelling (hard edge mechanical and organic), painting and texturing, animation, rendering, etc. that are all available through Zbrush. Top row should reflect this variety of work and abilities of Zbrush.

A few bucks in cash sent to Aurick has always worked
(please no checks.money orders,etc, Bills should not be sequential)

It might be they have not “followed the rules” in terms of posting as outlined here:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161045-How-to-Post-Images-at-ZBrushCentral&highlight=edit+posts

For all of these reasons, it is now ZBC’s policy that all images must be uploaded. In fact, we will never feature a thread that has linked images. No matter how good your work might be, linking images instead of uploading them prevents your work from getting the recognition it deserves.”

Not sure if this means they will not be featured on the Top Row though so…???

This. :slight_smile:

There is simply too much high quality work on ZBC for top row choices to be made on quality alone. If that was the only criteria then top row features would only stay there for about a day before being pushed off. I will say this, though: if you want the best shot at being featured, don’t just post your finished render. Post WIP images as well – especially those that clearly illustrate the evolution of the model and the techniques used. Maybe even do a mini tutorial. In short, give your post value beyond its artistic merits. And for heaven’s sake, focus on the use of ZBrush! There have been many posts that weren’t featured because we couldn’t tell what was done in ZBrush and what wasn’t. There have also been a number that were passed over because the render was done in another program when ZBrush could have clearly done a better job.

ZBC has from its earliest days been about creating a community of ZBrush artists coming together to learn together and inspire one another. There are plenty of CG art forums out there where someone can go to post their art. There’s only one, however, that is focused on ZBrush. Please post your ZBrush art here! But please also keep that spirit of sharing alive. :)

Well stated.

aurick

Thank you for this… I must say, it was more than I expected, and certainly came across as someone who is passionate about the art that is being produced and shared. Very well stated and very well received. Thank you.

Have a blessed day,
-kmkenpo

EDIT:
Oh… I am sorry… MentalFrog was quoted, and I forgot to give credit for a well stated and heart-felt opinion. Passion for art is hard to hide.

Have a blessed day,
-kmkenpo

also keep that spirit of sharing alive

and the cash flow…

Hey, what do you know? Looks like you got as close to an answer as anyone is ever going to get. Good on you, kmkenpo! Thanks also to Aurick, obviously, for said answer. Cheers!

I’m not sure if this plays into it- but I’ve noticed that work that makes the Top Row often has people posting “Top Row!” I’m sure this isn’t a guarantee- but it does look life if you want something to make it to Top Row, you should start putting the word out.