Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Client 3D printing Question..can you help?

I have a client who wants a gladiator mask replica craeted. I told him I could sculpt it in Zbrush, and privide him with a file that he could have 3D printed.

He then asked if I could make it so that he can actually open and close the mask. -.-

I told him this was probably not possible--that he'd have to get that done by a smith--but I just want to make absolutely sure.

I can get my hands on Autodesk Inventor if that would help..but am I correct that this is just not possible?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by codexehow View Post
    I have a client who wants a gladiator mask replica craeted. I told him I could sculpt it in Zbrush, and privide him with a file that he could have 3D printed.

He then asked if I could make it so that he can actually open and close the mask. -.-

I told him this was probably not possible--that he'd have to get that done by a smith--but I just want to make absolutely sure.

I can get my hands on Autodesk Inventor if that would help..but am I correct that this is just not possible?

Thanks!
    it's not intrinsically impossible... you just have to design the cut lines and attach points so that there won't be undesired overlap.

also, how do they want it to open? if it's a simple hinge (like a door), you could just model in a hole on one piece and a cylinder sticking out of the other piece to go through the hole - voila - hinge. or does he want to be able to use screws and washers after the fact? in which case you just need to cut it in such a way so that he can drill and screw disparate parts together.

you wouldn't even need a cad/cam thing to check for those things, especially if your tolerances are large.

you CAN eyeball it.

luck.

jin
    Last edited by jinchoung; 10-09-12 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks so much!

A simple hinge might work, although I'd rather not eyeball it.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know of any good 3D printing sites? I've heard good things of Ownage, but there site is down.

I know of Shapeways, but I don't think they are equipped for fine craftsmanship. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by codexehow; 10-09-12 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by codexehow View Post
    Thanks so much!

A simple hinge might work, although I'd rather not eyeball it.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know of any good 3D printing sites? I've heard good things of Ownage, but there site is down.

I know of Shapeways, but I don't think they are equipped for fine craftsmanship. I could be wrong.

Lol.. yeah.. the sites been "down" forever.. but we are still going. Its just become kinda funny so I just let it be. I see people saying this same thing all over the web and kinda chuckle. But sometimes I dont wanna see people suffer.. so just saying hi and yeah.. we can print it if you want~ Shapeways is really not bad either.. cost effictiveness wise~ You can email us at support@ownage.com. Ok.. thats my one plug for the year X-D

Also yeah.. its makeable with movable visor. Just figure out how you want it to look. maybe make the visor a separate subtool. we'll do the rest for you~ can even cast it into a functional version if you want. fiberglass it, or make copies or do coldcast bronze or whatever they used to use back then. we do a bit of painting and mockup work here so its no prob~
    Last edited by desmoda; 10-10-12 at 08:04 AM.
    Ownage - a ZBrush 3D Printing Service

Hey desmoda, thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

You should get your site back up. Your samples look incredible.