Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Smile Whisky in the Jar

Hi Guys,
    Here we go on another project I wanted to create.
    I painted this picture some years ago traditionally (medium : oil) and as I like this character very much I wanted to make him in 3D.

I want to do everything on Zbrush, scultp and painting.

This is a try with Fibermesh but I'm not convinced enough, I will have to work again on it. For the moment I have some difficulties to use the brush "Groomhair Toss" to comb the hair and beard, It doesn't react I would like to. When I'm combing, for the eyebrows for example, it doesn't snap on the model, the roots stay straight.

Actually I'm doing the skin shaders and colors. This is not easy, I have to reduce the number of polygons in order to be able to light it - as I do everything in Zbrush, even at 20 millions of polygons for a correct light my computer doesn't work.

At last, I will surely have a little concern with the bottle of whisky because it's impossible to do a liquid in transparence in an object already in transparence in Zbrush.
    If anybody has a solution, feel free to write a word .

Best
    JB

nice character man
    Daranga Mihai
    Senior Character Artist
    Bucharest

Haha, lovely, really like him!

I really like him alot haha! Keep going sir!

Love the original oil painting, thought it was going to be a tough challenge to get the character quite the same in Z but its shaping up nicely.

Got my eye on this thread yessirree
    "Im too drunk to taste this chicken" - Colonel Sanders

Halloween 2011 Challenge The Thing that should not Bee...

stunning work so far! Keep rocking!
    Cheers,
    Selwy

That's really cool. Is it Irish whiskey in the jug?
    Last edited by dillster; 09-30-12 at 03:58 PM.

Great painting and now a great sculpt, good luck with the bottle transparencies, Id did see some tips about that subject recently but Im danged if I can recall where, should I stumble over them again Ill link you.

Default Wait a minute....

You actually "THE" JB Monge? The same that will be BACK at Spectrum 2 next year with Paul Bonner in the same booth? AWESOME 3D man! I just saw you announced for next year with Bonner and was thinking I would LOVE to do one of yours or Pauls up in 3D for some practice. It's wonderful seeing what you do with 3D...!! My time was limited this year and I did NOT get to you meet you or pick up any prints...I definetly WILL this next year. I need some prints to go along with the 2 of Paul Bonners I picked up

The skin and all the details are wonderful! Wish I could help you out on the hair, Fibermesh is still something I dont feel up to snuf on yet. It's coming along great!

Transparency is something I havent messed with much, not sure how much you can go beyond this list talks about. http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transparency
    Last edited by GrizzlyJake; 10-01-12 at 10:36 AM.
    Jake "Grizzlyjake" Angell
    www.jakeangell.com

THANKS A LOT !

I keep going on my render. I just want to use Zbrush all along and let apart photoshop.
    I had a little trouble with the whisky but I think I have something nice now with the transparency.
    Actually I'm working on the light.
    I didn't decimate the character yet because I didn't really understand how we keep the polypainting when we do the decimation. If I do "Keep polypainting" in the master decimation, it crashes.
    And about the fibermesh, I will do it at the end

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyJake View Post
    You actually "THE" JB Monge? The same that will be BACK at Spectrum 2 next year with Paul Bonner in the same booth? AWESOME 3D man! I just saw you announced for next year with Bonner and was thinking I would LOVE to do one of yours or Pauls up in 3D for some practice. It's wonderful seeing what you do with 3D...!! My time was limited this year and I did NOT get to you meet you or pick up any prints...I definetly WILL this next year. I need some prints to go along with the 2 of Paul Bonners I picked up

The skin and all the details are wonderful! Wish I could help you out on the hair, Fibermesh is still something I dont feel up to snuf on yet. It's coming along great!

Transparency is something I havent messed with much, not sure how much you can go beyond this list talks about. http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Transparency
    Hey GrizzlyJack ! Yes I am the good one you are talking about So see you next May in Kansas City, that's going to be fun ! I will have prints and book ^^
    Thank you for your nice comment and about the transparency link, I think I have found something though.

New pictures to show you :

For the picture above, I have solved the problem of the light in the mouth, I have ticked in BPR SSS "SSSAcross subtool", I have put the Rays at 3, the angle at 1.5 and the resolution at 500. it seems to work now but weirdly, I haven't anymore a shadow on the ground.

The last picture I have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gobelin11.JPG 
Views:	339 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	326029  
    Last edited by jbmonge; 10-01-12 at 03:21 PM.

I love this character and I love the quality of the sculpting, texturing, rendering and everything else.

Ezra

Quote Originally Posted by EZRA52 View Post
    I love this character and I love the quality of the sculpting, texturing, rendering and everything else.

Ezra
    THANKS A LOT !!

Some more pictures with a better rendering :

Member Follow User Gallery

love it - the oil painting is awesome!
    True refinement seeks simplicity - Bruce Lee

http://samoth.cghub.com/

Default Top Row Stuff Man

When I read you also did the oil painting. I had to bow down and give you respect.
    It's all awesome, even the modeling.

Did you retop the mesh?
    I read that you did it all in Zbrush.
    However it's done, it's amazing, from concept (If I can even call that awesome art a concept art) to modeling to textures.

Awesome character. I see you solved the liquid in cup dilemma, awesome. The final renders look really, really good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast