ZBrushCentral

Castle Story

Hi guys and gals,

It’s with great pleasure I’m finally able to show you what I’ve been working on for the past 5 months.

I work for a company in California called Storm8. We just put out a game called Castle Story for the iOS. In the beginning stages I was in charge or translating the 2D concepts to 3D assets. I created two buildings (shown below) that described the style we were going for. I was also in charge of creating a light rig and Mel Script so that modeler’s would be able to place their model’s into the scene, run a Mel Script and have it render. It was my first time using MIP shaders and creating a light rig that a lot of people would be using. I learned a lot from the experience.

From that point on I was in charge of about 90% of the characters, translating them from the 2D concept to 3D. I used Zbrush 4R3 for the modeling, retopo, UV’s, textureing and posing/expressions. Maya/Mental Ray was used for rendering. Character’s were rendered in pieces so they could be animated in 2D and then the character had expression renders for dialog sequences. There are two forms for each NPC. The first form is when you first meet them, a form that was transformed by the forest. The second form is what they take after you save them.

This is the 6th game I’ve had a chance to work on in my short career and it’s by far my favorite game artistically. I was able to work with such a great team and with some really talented artists.

Orginal Character concepts were done by Ting Tey
Orginal Building Concepts were done by Marco Kunardi

Sorry it’s so long. Just been a long time coming. Enjoy!

castleStory_CharacterSheet_01.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_02.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_03.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_04.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_05.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_06.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_07.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_08.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_10.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_09.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_11.jpgcastleStory_CharacterSheet_thumb.jpg

Attachments

castleStory_CharacterSheet_01.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_02.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_03.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_04.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_05.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_06.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_07.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_08.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_09.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_10.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_11.jpg

castleStory_CharacterSheet_12.jpg

Attachments

castleStory_CharacterSheet_12.jpg

Very cute! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice look and style.

How was the 2d animation part be done?
Unity?

Thank you guys.

The animation was done in flash.

Hi guys and gals. Been pretty busy with work so I was finally able to find some down time to get all this together.

makingCastleStoryCharacters_01.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_02.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_03.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_04.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_05.jpg

Attachments

makingCastleStoryCharacters_01.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_02.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_03.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_04.jpg

makingCastleStoryCharacters_05.jpg

I love the wolf and the environment stuff. Really nice feel to them.

Did you make the houses all in ZBrush too? or did you use other things for those?

Fantastic stuff MrGuy. I love it all. VERY well done. Thanks for the little ‘making of’, appreciated. Congrats for a job well done, I’m sure you’ve worked very hard on this and it shows.

Ezra

Great work
I really like this cartoon style and the buildings are amazing !!!
Congrats

Alon - Thank you. The rock was done in Zbrush (obviously) and the models were created in Maya, UV mastered in Zbrush and Painted in Photoshop. It was still early at the time and we need to figure out how and if Zbrush would fit into this pipeline.

Ezra - Thank you for the kinds words. Maybe sometime this week I can pull together some more wire frames and post them up. They have me on a new project now and time is tight. :slight_smile:

Gahpe - Thank you. It was great having a clear vision and direction on the style early on ( Disney’s Pinocchio drawings mixed with Disney’s Tangled) and just hit the ground running.

A really informative post with a fantastic “making of” section. I can’t wait to see the wire frames, particularly of the buildings. Keep up the great work!

this is awesome, MrGuy!

really fun work :smiley:

They are all awesome - the buildings have great character:) :+1:

great !! well deserved top row stuff !!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

This is one of the most enjoyable posts I have read in a long time. I love the style of the characters and the buildings. This is my preferred style to work in as well, if you ever view some of my past work. I have an iPad, and I will certainly be checking out this game when it is released. Thank you for sharing!

Nice job man! Well done

Wow! great thread! congrats on the top notch work!

When you retopologized your characters in ZB which method did you use?

It seems like for areas of the face it is pretty difficult to get accurate, clean geometry with qremesher on lower poly game characters…

looks like an awesome game. :+1:

very attractive characters! :+1:

Refreshing to see such adorable models among all the grim stuff here (mine included)!

Very nice man! I love the models and the textures awesome.:+1: