Member User Gallery

Amazing stuff. I just watched some oldish videos you made about baking matcaps to textures. I love that you have made it
    a plugin to share with the community

Senior Member User Gallery

Great Job, Joseph! These kinds of resources take time and effort.
    Thank you for your contributions.
    ~j

(Also, a shout out to aurick for organizing and updating the thread.)

Seriously appreciated !!!

Thanks a lot .

awesome vids! thanks much.

i really think this kind of workflow is the right "level" to work at in zb... not manipulating edge loops or doing traditional poly modeling tasks (cuz really, as of now, amost every other app out there is better for that kind of work - although i really wish that weren't so... would love to be able to just do all my poly modeling from super low res to ultra high in zb)... but working with med to hires meshes as if with clay - concepting hard surfaces as they do in designing industrial design surfaces in clay.

cut, sculpt, smooth, join, sand kinda mentality - and this solids kinda boolean workflow fits right in line with that.

btw - anyone ever tell you you sound like john kransinsky? if possible, would love it if you could include somewhere in a future video the sentence, "dwight and michael really are in fine form today, wouldn't you say pam?"
    Last edited by jinchoung; 09-27-12 at 03:27 AM.

User Gallery

Thank you so much for making these videos! I'm learning tons from you!

Member User Gallery

Great work Joe! Really well done buddy.

Member User Gallery

Default hi

i leraned a lot from you with these videos so thx but i have question how can i use these models in a game? because
    if you want a low ploy model you will lose the edges

Quote Originally Posted by jinchoung View Post
    awesome vids! thanks much.

i really think this kind of workflow is the right "level" to work at in zb... not manipulating edge loops or doing traditional poly modeling tasks (cuz really, as of now, amost every other app out there is better for that kind of work - although i really wish that weren't so... would love to be able to just do all my poly modeling from super low res to ultra high in zb)... but working with med to hires meshes as if with clay - concepting hard surfaces as they do in designing industrial design surfaces in clay.

cut, sculpt, smooth, join, sand kinda mentality - and this solids kinda boolean workflow fits right in line with that.

btw - anyone ever tell you you sound like john kransinsky? if possible, would love it if you could include somewhere in a future video the sentence, "dwight and michael really are in fine form today, wouldn't you say pam?"

I box model in C4D basic 9 "9's just a bit out dated " for zBrush.
    If zBrush added standard box modeling tools and a Axis in zBrush ,ahh it would be kool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazen View Post
    i leraned a lot from you with these videos so thx but i have question how can i use these models in a game? because
    if you want a low ploy model you will lose the edges
    For example, if your modeling a tire for a game mesh.
    you would make a cylinder and put a tire textures n maybe a bump and all on the cylinder.

For example,

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...d-model/387572

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...-3d-max/463744

Game meshes depend more on textures then topology.
    Last edited by RorrKonn; 09-27-12 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RorrKonn View Post
    I box model in C4D basic 9 "9's just a bit out dated " for zBrush.
    If zBrush added standard box modeling tools and a Axis in zBrush ,ahh it would be kool with me.
    i do box modeling and polybypoly modeling in lightwave 9.65 (also out of date but the last version of lw i will ever buy) and yeah, especially since zb can gracefully handle massive mounts of polys, i really do wish i could do everything in zb. but there are a lot of precision, snap, align, selection and manipulation tools that zb just doesnt have. heck, you cant even SELECT and the workarounds using masking and visibility are fine for certain operations but when you have to go several rounds of hiding, inverting, refining and inverting agin - thats a looooooong walk for a short drink of water.

but thats the kind of stuff what goz was made to address but alas, not available for 9.65. but going back and forth with.objs works well too.

and for me, its just about approaching modeling tasks the 'right way' in zb. so 'geometry manipulation' as i do in lw is a nono and just ends up being painful and slow. but this kind of work that joe drust is outlining - imo, definitely 'right level'.

Thank you soooo much for this awesome videos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jinchoung View Post
    i do box modeling and polybypoly modeling in lightwave 9.65 (also out of date but the last version of lw i will ever buy) and yeah, especially since zb can gracefully handle massive mounts of polys, i really do wish i could do everything in zb. but there are a lot of precision, snap, align, selection and manipulation tools that zb just doesnt have. heck, you cant even SELECT and the workarounds using masking and visibility are fine for certain operations but when you have to go several rounds of hiding, inverting, refining and inverting agin - thats a looooooong walk for a short drink of water.

but thats the kind of stuff what goz was made to address but alas, not available for 9.65. but going back and forth with.objs works well too.

and for me, its just about approaching modeling tasks the 'right way' in zb. so 'geometry manipulation' as i do in lw is a nono and just ends up being painful and slow. but this kind of work that joe drust is outlining - imo, definitely 'right level'.
    Any one that's sane would half to agree with the right tool for the job.
    Bad part about CGI is will get on the CGI Race track with a CGI lawn mower cause we just don't know where on a CGI lawn mover ,will think it's a CGI Ferrari.

The fab 5 app's we have absolute control over vertices and axis ,maps etc etc.
    zBrush just not that concerned with absolute control ,They just make it look good ,fast.
    zBrush ,the hippies of CGI.
    I need a Wacom tablet n some practice. but I'm thinking zBrush 4 is seriously worth the effort.

I have LW7C ,Inside Lightwave 7 had a girl .So we saw some girls and a lot of cars.
    LW 11 is looking good to me. I saw that you wasn't planing on up grading ,Whats wrong with LW 11 ?
    Mostly care about LW 11 rigs , They any good ?
    Last edited by RorrKonn; 09-29-12 at 08:47 PM.

Thank you Joseph,

Your instructions are clean and very precise. Also watching a few, I am starting to develop a new mind-set on how to approach making shapes in ZBrush.

Greatly appreciated,

New Member User Gallery

Default Questions about how the hipoly dynamesh assets are used?

I have been interested in hard surface modeling in maya mainly for some time now as a hobby, although my professional experience is in nurbs based CAD modeling. Lately I am becoming very interested and excited about the hard surface models and extreme details that can be achieved with zbrush.

But I have some questions about how these insanely hipoly assets are actually used? Are they somehow retopologized to a more manageable poly count for use back in packages like maya or max?

For instance I see the power in dynamesh subtract and I like the hi detail that can be achieved without having to deal with all the edge loop and poly flow issues of traditional polygon modeling. I like the natural looking edge bevels that dynamesh creates and I agree that the process, especially when coupled with an application like maya or max to produce the boolean cutting objects, is far faster then traditional poly modeling. I'd also like to add that as a nurbs based CAD modeler the use of booleans is very natural work flow.

But at the same time I worry that all the time saved to create the final hi poly asset will be lost and then some if you have to essentially build the model all over again with a more reasonable poly count on top of the dynamesh model and still have to end up worrying about edge flow, loops, and control edges?
    Last edited by ctbram; 10-06-12 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbram View Post
    I have been interested in hard surface modeling in maya mainly for some time now as a hobby, although my professional experience is in nurbs based CAD modeling. Lately I am becoming very interested and excited about the hard surface models and extreme details that can be achieved with zbrush.

But I have some questions about how these insanely hipoly assets are actually used? Are they somehow retopologized to a more manageable poly count for use back in packages like maya or max?

For instance I see the power in dynamesh subtract and I like the hi detail that can be achieved without having to deal with all the edge loop and poly flow issues of traditional polygon modeling. I like the natural looking edge bevels that dynamesh creates and I agree that the process, especially when coupled with an application like maya or max to produce the boolean cutting objects, is far faster then traditional poly modeling. I'd also like to add that as a nurbs based CAD modeler the use of booleans is very natural work flow.

But at the same time I worry that all the time saved to create the final hi poly asset will be lost and then some if you have to essentially build the model all over again with a more reasonable poly count on top of the dynamesh model and still have to end up worrying about edge flow, loops, and control edges?
    On my home PC I personally only consider DynaMesh for zBrush only.
    I personally would not use DynaMesh for C4D on my home PC.
    If I had a super computer I might think other wise.

As you see in zBrush gallery there are mostly Characters.
    Not a lot of buildings or cars.

You could do this for a building or car or any thing.
    One way you could model a Character for C4D.
    Model a low poly count 2,500 character mesh in C4D.
    If you want 100% quads,Divide once 100% quad.
    The low poly count 10,000 character mesh is for C4D rigs.
    Send to zBrush ,Divide to millions.Add Details.
    Save Vector Map for C4D.

Now you have a millions poly count detailed Character but you only half to deal with the low poly count character mesh of 2.500 or 10,000.
    in C4D untill you render.

With Vector Map's or Displacement Map's Topology is not a major issue with me personally.
    If you use zBrush Brushes for detail ,Best to use a Wacom tablet ,Wacom takes some skill.

You half to make sure your app supports Vector Map's or Displacement Map's.
    Last edited by RorrKonn; 10-07-12 at 02:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast