Default Making sculptris Meshes compatible with DAZ3d studio

This is actual a small tutorial I put together to demonstrate how I make meshes that are compatible with the DAZ3d transfere utility tool which is used to rig meshes. While the armature is primarily done in meshmixer the detailes are primarily done in sculptris.

I think it is totally cool that your mesh can inherit the rigging one a couple of clicks of your mouse button and not weeks of adding bones and weights one bone at a time and one surface group at a time.
    Rkapuaala <a href="scalehumans.com/catalogue">MY SITE</a>

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default re

Blender Auto-weights work pretty well too, and you can set them up in like half an hour. Plus Blender has Shape-Keys. Kinda like Daz Morphs, only you don't have to import, just move stuff around. Watch some Youtube vids on this stuff. even the vids for the Old Blender 2.4 stuff still has some good Ideas for building rigs. You can use IK and make then easy to animate. Plus it's open-source, so you can use it for commercial stuff, without breaking any License Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by justadeletedguy View Post
    Blender Auto-weights work pretty well too, and you can set them up in like half an hour. Plus Blender has Shape-Keys. Kinda like Daz Morphs, only you don't have to import, just move stuff around. Watch some Youtube vids on this stuff. even the vids for the Old Blender 2.4 stuff still has some good Ideas for building rigs. You can use IK and make then easy to animate. Plus it's open-source, so you can use it for commercial stuff, without breaking any License Rules.
    Yes, they are pretty good, but you can set everything up in DAZ in 6 minutes or less.

Default re

Don't get me wrong. I got started in this a few years back when a friend gave his Poser 5 he bought because he couldn't figure it out, and I've have had lots of fun learning and using Daz Content and Daz Studio. However, Daz has all their Content wrapped up in Copywrite Licenses. According to their forum, you're not even supposed to use Blender Shrinkwrap on their models when making clothing for them. They give you the software for free for personal use, but if you want to use it Commercial, you need to buy licenses for DS4, Genesis, and any other stuff your using. I wouldn't be surprised if Daz sold the Genesis Skeleton by the BONE!

Yes, Daz does a good job, it's just bad practice, as you can't use any of their stuff Professionally without buying the Licenses. But Blender is Free, and does a good job as well, and you can use it for Commercial stuff.

I did a little poking around. I have read their licensing agreement in the past and saw nothing to indicate you couldn't use other textures or images on their models. I do know that they are very strict about using their models in commerical applications, but their commercial license is fairly priced at 500 USD depending on application.
    It is also geared more towards the gaming industries, specifically product Art and for 3D games avatars and the like.
    But since I'm not a lawyer I did call their offices in Utah this morning to get some clarification on my use of their product and found that I can import my meshes into their application and pose and render and export them for the purposes of printing into 3D models and I will still be in complete compliance with their licensing agreement,,,, so I'm good.
    I don't do Art work for Games, I don't do meshes for games,,, and I don't even use their scenery stuff.
    The only thing I do use is there mesh as a measuring tool to make sure my fingers, and toes and joints and head line up with their Bones perfectly. So the issue is moot for me.
    I would like to get better at Blender though, but I find creating the bone hierarchy very tedious these days. I used to be in to that sort of thing, but now a days, I just want to spend time on a good default sculpt and then pose it. Rigging is not that romantic to me any more and I am grateful that there is a tool that will do it for me automatically as long as I can conform points on my mesh to theirs.

Default re Brekel Kinect

Hey I found something you might be interested in ..... Brekel Kinect . It's an open source driver for XBoX Kinect to run on your computer and a program for recording BVH motions. INSTALL THE DRIVER BEFORE YOU PLUG IN KINECT ..... Otherwise the Kinect will download the MS drivers and the install won't work (took me a few installs to figure it out) .... but yea ... MoCap in your living room ... and it's got a Poser/DAZ setting. Might still have to adjust them with BVHacker ... but could be a lot of fun for you animators out there !!