ZBrushCentral

Question: Can you transfer polypaint without transfering sculpt detail?

The Project All button will project sculpt detail and polypaint. Or it will project sculpt detail only. It will not project polypaint only.

Is it even possible to write a script that will project polypaint only?

I realize you can do some trickery with morph targets but I was hoping for a cleaner process.

There’s no ‘one click’ solution.

If the topology is the same you could transfer the polypaint using a texture. You’d have to assign the same UVs to each mesh if they weren’t already assigned but it should work OK.

Other than that you could perhaps use the ZProject brush but that would be a bit of a fiddle and its success would depend on the model.

Store a morph target on your target mesh before you do a project all. That will project the geometry and color information. After everything is transferred, hit switch morph target and then delete the morph target.

It will delete the geo information but it will leave the poly paint information.

–E-- That’s a great solution! Works for me!:+1:

Thank you so much, I’ll try this next!

Had occasion to need to do this the other day and the Morph Target technique worked fine, but didn’t the Project All button used to respect the paint setting (MRGB, RGB, ZADD, ZSUB, etc.)?

Trying to do a Polypaint only “project all” with no luck. I mean I do the storeMT and that would work but it isn’t handing the polypaint/color information over at all. I created a UV map on the target mesh as well and can place an image map on it and created a texture 2048x2048 but for some reason when I project all I get the mesh changes (even though I’ve disabled Zadd/Zsub) but no color information jumps at all.

FIXED… Here for posterity.

Ok the main problem is that the mesh I was trying to project from was just showing me the texture map I was previewing on it. I had to create a polypaint from texture so that the texture I was seeing on the mesh is handed over in pixels to the polypaint. This then is applying the texture to the surface of the source mesh and will then in turn allow the project all to hand from the source mesh (polypaint) over to the target mesh (polypaint).

Thank you for that last post - if you use GoZ from max or maya then you probably are just viewing your texture in preview mode. Pretty dumb Zbrush doesn’t show you the difference between preview mode and actual poly paint mode. I tried projecting my poly paint so many times to no avail after having done this in the past with success, but that’s the trick - make sure the original mesh is on top and you have the polypaint as a texture button on from the tools menu - also project all from the mesh you want the details to go to, not the mesh with the polypaint and high res detail- thank you all.

Intuition member:
this FIXED really help
thanks a lot so much … searching this for month
and now working HAHAHAH
thanks again !!!