Senior Member User Gallery

All these last posts are very interesting.
    well done to all of you!
    @SporkFuMaster
    How many polys?

@michalis Just opened it up to check and I am currently at 163,072 tris with 38 spheres. I had to recount those. I didn't think that I had used that many spheres...

Member User Gallery

Gorgeous, SporkFuMaster

@veehoy Thanks.

And here's a quick coloring of another dragon. Unfortunately I lost some of the sculpting on the other head, so I went back to this one for now. Didn't realize how bad those stripes came out on it.

He's Great !!!

New Member User Gallery

Hi there!

First of all, sorry for my bad English!

A few months ago I discovered Sculptris during a research on new ways of modeling; ok you can think I'm a caveman but indeed it's almost true! My 3d modeling skills are from another age, when none of the actuals tools were available, so bet it I was quite amazed discovering this little beauty! Then with a few tests, I realize how easy is the today modeler's life and I since I'm here, my kudos to the math men behind such program!

So returning to this thread, today, wandering in my app folder, I stubbled upon Sculptris app's icon and realize an update was perhaps available, so here I'm looking for infos to finally end over here, discovering this thread! What was my surprise because the last test I've done, guess what, it was precisely a Dragon!!

So for fun here it is, far from being finished but who care, was just a test, a little less than 730.000 triangles... (is that a lot??)

Just one comment for all young people who wants to do a career in modeling, with such tools forget about computers, just go to academic drawing schools to study anatomy and do a lot of drawing with models, human, animals, whatever, then once back behind a screen things will be so easy that you'll just blow away all those old foxes from pixar or whatever major studio!

@SporkFuMaster
    She looks great. It's she, right? Not he... LOL
    Are these cycles renders?
    @Cordieri
    Very nice start. Welcome to the club.
    I don't agree with the five fingers solution though.
    700k is too much for this, you can decimate it a lot.

Ah, I just couldn't resist.
    The alter ago of my dog. (unfortunately it's not a sculptris project, it's blender only)
    I hope it's not too wrong to post it here.

Last edited by michalis; 09-21-12 at 07:56 AM.

Member User Gallery

Another WIP....Sculptris and LW render.....

Great sculpting, to all of you.
    I can perfectly understand why you may render on external render engines-apps.
    What I can't understand is why you never learned how these engines work.
    To be able to present your artwork decently.

Member User Gallery

Sculptris just wouldn't let me paint the other dragon I made. I reduced it down to 228 tris and it still wouldn't load in paint mode. Just one of those things, I guess.

So here's my second entry. All Sculptris and some Photoshop for shading and color adjustment.

New Member User Gallery

Default My 2nd Sculptris Sculpt

A bit late to this party, but would like to represent with a Chinese dragon

2.27 Million Triangles
    Spent about a week on it.
    Eyes, tongue, and dentures are separate objects

Still weighing my options on sculpting the body scales

Haven't posed it yet, obviously, but here's a question for the veterans... given the undulating poses these dragons are usually in, am I in for a big bag of hurt trying to do this in Sculptris? Does ZBrush offer easier procedures or tools for posing serpentine snakes and dragons?

Carter

Use your Reduce brush .... 2 mil triangles is way huge ... cut that thing down to 300K ... reduce on the semi smooth parts ... then think about Scales .... probably better to Retopo and Paint your Scales using Bump Map! ..... Blender Cycles can use the Back and white Bump Maps exported from Sculptris (in Tif format) and Irfanview can change them to JPG or PNG for file size!!

New Member User Gallery

Default 2nd ever sculpt posed

Taking a stab at posing my sculpt...

I love this red dragon!
    How did you pose it?

New Member User Gallery

Thanks Michalis
    The workflow was entirely through Sculptris. As far as I was able to figure out on my own, this process was through careful Masking/Hiding techniques along with the Global Rotate tool.

The tail fan was masked first with a very soft feathered edge creeping toward the torso. CTRL-click an open area to reverse the masking and that leaves only the tail fan free. Where the feathered division occurs, use that as the pivot-area for Global Rotate. Just a very small 5 or 10 degree bend does the trick. CTRL-ALT to paint away a bit more of the mask. Global Rotate again at the new Mask transition. Repeat this procedure as you inch your way toward the head. Interspersed in there are Global Rotate procedures that spiral out the torso so that it doesn't curl into itself. THEN there are occasions where parts get so close, it's necessary to Hide interfering areas to avoid the Mask brush from jumping across.

Once the torso is in position, the limbs go through a similar Masking technique. Paint the Mask on the entire limb, open-area CTRL-click to flip the mask. Global Rotate the entire limb. (shoulder pivot) Paint-Mask the upper arm so that the forearm and claw undergoes rotation.

Rhino 3D has a "flow along curve" function for objects, but I'd probably spend a large amount of time tweaking the input curve to get a result that wouldn't provide much control in the end.

The other option would be to spend several months learning to rig a skeletal system in something like PMG's Messiah.

I presume posing this in ZBrush would've been a similar workflow as I underwent with Sculptris.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast