ZBrushCentral

SpaceMan's SpaceBook Journal On ZBrush

SpaceMan’s SpaceBook Journal On ZBrush

I’ve been doing some research, for a project I’m working on, referencing images of Art Nouveau style artworks. And I thought it might be interesting for some to see how to make elements for artwork (and a general notebook of things that help while working with ZBrush) . I know there are many ways to get something done in ZBrush - I’ll start here:
To start reference work there are many places you can go - google search, Art Nouveau free clip art and your off to finding references on Art Nouveau styles as shown in this example - using ShadowBox in ZBrush.

One place that you may not be aware of for doing searches for references for Art Nouveau styles is the Internet Archives site - a few public domain examples from there:
Combinaisons Ornementales
http://archive.org/details/CombinaisonsOrnementales

Modern design in jewellery and fans (1902)
http://archive.org/details/moderndesigninje00holmuoft

Ideen (1904)
http://archive.org/details/ideenleipzig00olbr

Les menus & programmes illustrés; invitations, billets de faire part, cartes d’adresse, petites estampes du XVIIe siècle jusqu’à nos jours (1898)
http://archive.org/details/lesmenusprogramm00mail

:b2:

Attachments

1z1.jpg

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Another resource for alphas is Photoshop Brushes. By using google search you should fine 1,000s of free PS brushes. ZBrush can not import the abr file but there is a freeware program that will open the abr and save the images in the abr file as pngs which then have to be converted to jpegs (or psds) to be used with ZBrush. The freeware is abrMate.

Here used ShadowBox with an created alpha from the abr file.

see attachments

Attachments

brushes.JPG

1CelticCollection_81.jpg

za1.JPG

za2.JPG

A follow-up to the Internet Archive resource pdf files (or google free pdf ebooks) - if you have photoshop cs3 or cs4 or cs5 there is a plugin called Photoshop PDF Processor (which is a photoshop jsx file)

This plugin can save each page as an image file jpeg psd tiff png etc
Here is an jpeg image reduced down to 800% of the org from the processed image.

Attachments

ps plugin.JPG

ideenleipzig00olbr-Page33a.jpg

Another resource for alphas for using with ShadowBox and other uses with ZBrush is free fonts and dingbats.

Attachments

fonts and dingbats.JPG

A few examples from the imported alphas done in Shadowbox - one way of creating an element library by themes.

Attachments

x.JPG

Just a simple corner tool made from a ps brush in shadowbox.

Attachments

ZBrush Document.jpg

Thank you very much for your input, it is very interesting, a hug;)

Thanks SpaceMan really good tricks in here.

PFC666 - Thanks :slight_smile:

Freewaldo - Thanks - I hope you find it useful.

A few notes on the fonts and dingbats - pscs3,4,5 are ok but it is easier to use gimp 2.8 on a 512 canvas. The reason for this is that gimp 2.8 allows making the fonts the size you want.

For those who might want to experiment with the fonts as alphas for shadowbox find attached some zip files - cap letters and the other numbers Art Nouveau theme.

Attachments

gimp.JPG

ZBrush Document_1.jpg

A tidbit note - let’s say you have found a free pd pdf book and you save out a page you like and you clean it up and bring it in zbrush as an alpha but doesn’t make agood ztool in shadowbox - don’t throught the alpha away yet try using the drag ret drag it on the the model (to test use the rect plane) in edit mode (or use drag dot).
example of a work flow in attachments

Attachments

2fairygoldbookofo00rhysuoft_0008a.jpg

fairygoldbookofo00rhysuoft_0008a.jpg

zb1.JPG

zb1a.JPG

Another tidbit of information is that sometimes the free ps brushes are very small but you would like to use the images in shadowbox or alphas for brushes. Adobe Illustrator CS5 has a live trace to vector then you can re-size the image - if you don’t have Illustrator there is a free program called InkScape that will also trace the images.

Attachments

Untitled.jpg

thnx for alphas - links :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: keep at it !!!

Gary - thanks for the intrest.

I found a set of numbers from ps brushes they look nice and decide to attach them for experimenting with them with shadowbox (or other uses).

Attachments

ZBrush Document_1.jpg

testing some alphas from ps brushes working into a sandstone look.

Attachments

Creating an Ocean sediment image - four images. One (coral ztools I made) and the other three stages of the image.

Attachments

3.JPG

coral ztools.JPG

Now that the ps brushes have been converted to ztools in shadowbox - what else can we do to build the elements library - covert them into zbrush insert brushes.
One image shows the converted ps brush to ztool through shadowbox the other image shows using the insert brush from the ztool onto the shadowbox ztool.

Attachments

zb insert brush.JPG

ZBrush tool circle.jpg

I created the rock and added the sphere and made into one model then converted the female into an insert brush and inserted it into the model.

Attachments

imaage1.jpg

Using the same rock and sphere model added dolphin.
rock and dolphin1.jpg

Same model different angle and material.
rock dolphin2a.jpg

you should start putting the images into the post, not as attachments ;f