Senior Member User Gallery

@soulo: The process uses a displacement map to displace a plane3d object and capture the effect. If a model has no subdivisions the result of the matcap bake would just be a flat plane with color information (the same as doing just a New Texture from Polypaint on the object.) Try subdividing the model and running the plugin again

@connartist: If you placed the plugin files to Applications/ZBrushOSX 4R4/ZStartup/ZPlugs/ and it's still giving the error it's a bug and I need to fix it I will check it out this weekend on OSX and see about finding a solution. Thanks for the info!

-Joseph

New Member User Gallery

Will this allow you to bake multiple materials on to a single model?

New Member User Gallery

Does anyone know if this plugin will allow me to do this:

I want to export my polypainted model as a VRML with embedded texture file to then send for 3D printing. HOWEVER, I'm finding that my saved texture files often don't look like what I see on screen. I attribute this to the lighting and try to compensate but I can never get it exact. I'm not using the MatCap materials in my model because I found one of the white materials gives me my best - but not perfect - results.

What I THINK I need, therefore, is the ability to capture the lighting effects on my model when I create the texture. Or do I? Can that be done? Will this plugin do that?

It seems to me this plugin needs the displacement map when displaying models on screen in order to show the MatCap in the texture, but that cannot be done when 3D printing.

Anyone?

Glenn

Maybe you just need to load your VRML model and texture into Zbrush, convert texture to polypaint, then use the Maycap tool.

Sean

New Member User Gallery

Thanks, Sean, but if I'm reading it right what I think you're trying to help me with is displaying the model on screen. I already have a fully poly-painted model with texture exported out and ready to print. BUT the texture file is disappointing when compared to what I was seeing on screen. Yes, I have tried editing the texture file but just cannot get it to look the same as on screen where the lights created nice shadows on the crevices and highlights on edges, as well as different intensity of colour.

There may be nothing I can do with my existing model but for future ones it would be nice to get the texture file looking like it does on screen.

Glenn

O' if your are exporting the Mat cap then you are putting the model and texture into a different program to render it. Then yes, it will look different. In the rendering program, you have to create your own materials and lights. You should use HDRI lights and physically accurate materials to get a good render. Use Vray or Render Man.

Sean

New Member User Gallery

(Damn, I just typed all this and then it disappeared into cyberspace when I posted - grrr!)

Thanks again, Sean, however just to make myself clear to anyone else reading this my object is not to get the model looking good on screen. What I'm having an issue with is the fact that my 3D PRINTED model does not look anywhere as nice as the on screen representation. Now, I know that no printed model is ever going to look as good as the digital version, however, one major reason for this is the fact that the LIGHTING in ZBrush is not captured in the texture file.

What does seem to be leaking into this skull of mine that you may have been trying to tell me, Sean, is that if I were to use ALL MatCap materials in my model THEN what I see is what I get in my texture file if I use this Plug-In?

Glenn

Yup, The Mat Cap baker is the best way to get the lighting, shadows, and textures from your Zbrush sculpt. If you, want the Mat Cap texture output to look the same as the original in Zbrush (not a physical real world printed model) you would have to apply the textures to the same material it was baked from. If you want the use the Mat Cap Out put to use in an other 3D app like Maya, you need to create physically accurate materials and use HDRI lighting. I'm so thankful for this Zbrush MatCap plug in.

Now that I understand that you were asking about a 3D print. Have you given some consideration to color calibration? I don't know anything about the Printing process, so this is just speculation. If the textures were to be color calibrated to the correct hue, value and saturation, then the textures would be the best quality when sent out to print. With this said, If the Printer's ink were to be calibrated then its color would be better to match the textures. Now, it just comes down to the printed materials. It take a skilled program or a skilled artisan to re-create the look of leather and have it look like leather when painted on skin. Body painters have a hell of a time trying to create the illusion on leather on skin with just paint and air brushes. So it stands to reason that any 3d Print from any source would not look as good outside the 3d environment. So, I think you came to a sound conclusion when you said the printed model would not look as good as the 3d model.

Sean

New Member User Gallery

Thanks again, Sean. Yeah it's not solely the colour calibration, although it stands to reason that does have an effect. Based on what you've said I think this Plug-in may work so I'm going to give it a try. If I have success I will post here.

Glenn

Member User Gallery

Thank a lot , I've been waiting for something like this for a long time .

New Member User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Piggyson View Post
    MatCap Baker
    (Ver 2.1 Updated 9/27/2012)

Usage (Updated with new features!)

Change Log

v1.6: Initial Public Release
    v1.7: Fixed error when interface UI button size is less then 40
    v2.1: Added options for turning Adaptive On/Off, SmoothUV On/Off. Added buttons to force the recreation of the texture and displacement maps. Displacement intensity will now be set from the automatically generated 'Alpha Depth Value' of the displacement map unless 'Use Manual Intensity' is On. Fixed the resolution when recreating a displacement/texture to be 1:1 with 'Texture Map Size.' Added option to generate the displacement from a Morph target if one exists (finds the morph target automatically, switches to it and generates the displacement map.) Changed/Reorganized the interface some to handle all the additional features.

Notes

A bunch of stuff was added to this version; if something has changed that you don't particularly like let me know. Once again there could be bugs; please let me know if you run into any and i'll attempt to resolve them!

Thanks!

-Joseph
    Thank you again for the plug-in I truly need.

Though you should really update the original post with the latest file version so people don't get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilotta View Post

Though you should really update the original post with the latest file version so people don't get confused.
    Unfortunately ZBC only allows you to edit your posts for a few weeks then they become locked.

New Member User Gallery

Default Does MAtCap Baker works in Zbrush 4R5???

Quote Originally Posted by Piggyson View Post
    MatCap Baker
    (Ver 1.7 Updated 9/4/2012)

MatCap Baker automates the process of capturing MatCap data from a UV'd model to a Texture Map.
    Process was originally covered in a Zbrush 3.5 Zclassroom video. http://www.pixologic.com/blog/2009/06/352/
    Updated video for ZBrush 4 on youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS5glTYDYkw

This plugin is unofficial.

Main features

• Automatically generates a Baked MatCap texture from an UV'd model
    • Will automatically generate a Texture Map from PolyPainting if one doesn't exsist
    • Will automatically generate a Displacement Map if one doesn't exsist
    • Additional Changeable Options:

1. Flip UV on MatCap Texture Generation
    2. Automatically Open Export Dialog
    3. Generating Displacement for any Subdivision (useful if wanting to generate MatCap cavity maps)
    4. Set-able Texure Map Size to generate the Baked MatCap Map
    5. Ability to set Displacement Intensity before Baking

• Other features involving canvas sizing

1. Resize Canvas to Match Texture Size
    2. Restore Original Canvas Size after Baking

Usage

Installation

UnZip the attached MatCapBakerV#.#.ZIP file to your \Pixologic\ZBrush 4R4\ZStartup\ZPlugs\ folder.
    Restart ZBrush.
    MatCap Baker will be located under the Zplugin tab.

Change Log

v1.6: Initial Public Release
    v1.7: Fixed error when interface UI button size is less then 40

Notes

Felt like doing a little ZScripting after Siggraph. This script is one I meant to create a long time ago and never got around to it. I am a pretty poor coder so please post and bugs/grammatical errors you find and I will attempt to fix them.

I have a few more ZScripts I hope to release in the next few days. Hope this one helps save some time!

-Joseph

i'm so glad it works for 4r5. it's become an invaluable timesaver.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast