ZBrushCentral

Horganovskis Sketchbook

Hey fellow ZBrushers!

I work as an animator/character rigger mainly but I also love to use ZBrush. I’m still learning the program while at the same time trying to learn more about anatomy and creating characters in general. It’s a long road I guess but an enjoyable journey. Looking around this forum I can see I have a lot to learn to put it mildly :smiley:

I’ve posted a couple of WIPs here but I’m doing a lot of different sketches in ZBrush recently so I thought it might be best to start a new thread and put everything in the same place.

To start off with here’s a sketch I’ve been working on, it started as just a dynamesh sketch and it started looking like the character ‘Hank’ from Breaking Bad so I sourced some photos and did some Spotlight painting with them. I’ve also been learning how to use some of the new features in ZBrush 4R4 like the insert mesh brushes, which is how I made the chain around his neck.

Anyhoo, any comments/crits appreciated. The lighting/rendering side of things in ZBrush I’ve not really looked at yet so I’m keeping that simple for the moment.

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

HankBB2.jpg

Looks really good man. Great job.

BTW, I really dig your c4d work. :slight_smile:

Hi, many thanks! Glad you like my C4D work too :smiley:

Cheers,
Brian

Ok, something very different. Lots of dynamesh parts combined to create Teenage Spongebob :smiley:

TeenageSpongebob.jpg

Dyna-critter. Really quick sketch, I might develop this some more.

dynaCritter130812.jpg

Something I’ve been chipping away at for a while, Lord Barkis from The Corpse Bride. Lots to do yet, still not happy with the hair for one thing.

Cheers,
Brian
LordBarkis_180812.jpg

One thing I’m starting to be conscious of is that my models often turn out a bit lumpy. I guess that’s because I’m not spending enough time with the bigger forms before adding detail.

So tonight I did a quick dynamesh sculpt really concentrating on making simple clean shapes. I guess my inspiration here would be the style of Aardman.

Cheers,
Brian
toonDogSketch200812.jpg

Brock Sampson sketch.

Broc1Wipe.jpg
Broc1Wipd.jpg

Hi Horganovski! Great seeing you here :slight_smile:
Good start, really dig Lord barkis, keep it up :+1:

Many thanks Santis! Good to see my Swedish twin brother here :smiley:

Some parts of Lord Barkis have been retopoed now so I might rig and animate him at some stage. Not happy with his head though yet, doing some quick sketches is helping me zone on on my weakest areas (seems to be the mouth area right now).

I had a look at your sketchbook here BTW, wow, very impressive work! keep it up…:+1:

Cheers,
Brian

Seems like ages since I had a chance to do some sketching in ZBrush so I made some time for a quick dynamesh sketch and rough paintover.
Might develop this guy further, maybe give him a fat body and tiny wings or something like that.

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

sillyosauraus_front.jpg

sillyosauraus_side.jpg

Began with a quick dynamesh sketch and it started to remind me of someone so I tried to make a caricature of him. I’ll be so happy if someone recognizes who it’s supposed to be :slight_smile:

In any case it feels like progress as I think it’s a little cleaner than some of my previous models. I just bought Photoshop CS6 recently (my first version apart from Elements that came with my Wacom!) and had a go at doing some post work on this (it’s originally just a screen grab from ZBrush). I didn’t render out passes, I’m just trying to learn the basics right now of simple stuff like vignettes, color correcting etc. Lots to learn! Fun though :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

toonSketch181112.jpg

Good work on this one Bryan, as you said your self, you managed to keep the forms clean :slight_smile: Progress:+1:

Many thanks Santis! I was watching a Danny Williams preview on Visualiarium and one thing I noticed was that he goes up and down subD levels a lot when working on the forms which helps him keep things smooth (well, that and the fact that he’s awesome :wink: )
Up to now I’ve been using Dynamesh a lot with the resolution set too high I think, so for this one I stopped remeshing when the model was still pretty low poly but had the main shapes in there and then I used subD levels for the rest. I’m going to try and keep that method in mind in future as it’s definitely easier to smooth the mesh when there’s less detail there.

Cheers,
Brian

Yes, keep it low, and turn project on. That will give the next remesh a more planar feel :slight_smile:
Also, when you are satisfied with the form you can always use the standard subdivision method, instead of dyna meshing, since the primary form is already there :slight_smile:

Thanks, good tips. I had a look at your sketch thread here btw, wow some amazing work there!

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks man! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!

Didn’t have much time to sculpt for the last few days but did a quick sketch last night, I guess about 30 min in total. This is not nearly as clean as the last one but it was some fun/practice and I’ve been experimenting with some different workflows, like using separate parts for the eyelids and ears instead of trying to make it all from one mesh and making more use of ZBrush primitives as starting points. I didn’t use Dynamesh this time, just started from a very low poly quad sphere and subdivided it.
toonHead191112.jpg

Cheers,
Brian

BTW - can anyone tell me why sometimes when I upload images and ‘insert inline’ they appear in the post (as I’d like them to) but other times they are thumbnails instead?

About time I got this started again. Not ZBrushing very much for a while but doing a good bit of drawing. Back to ZBRush now to see if that’s helping any :slight_smile:
20 min dynasketch.
headSketch111113.jpg
Cheers,
Brian

Learning how to use Fibermesh for creating hairstyles for characters. Wow I love this tool, cranked all of these out in less than an hour :smiley:
The head model is one of the iAnimate characters.

Cheers,
Brian