ZBrushCentral

Sketchbook of Lateralus86

Hi, I’m starting a sketchbook of models that I’ve created here and there. Most of these are studies that were completed pretty recently, all in an attempt to improve my artwork, anatomy knowledge, and push the envelope of creativity. At some point I intend to create a character modeling demo reel, so I hope to post some of that material as well soon enough. But anyway, thanks for stopping by and having a look! I know that there’s a lot of excellent talent here on Zbrush Central, and by coming here I hope to improve my artwork and learn something. Critiques and comments are welcome.

Attachments

Krask_final render2.jpg

Krask_front_persp.jpg

Scifi_Soldier_Fin.jpg

Head_Anatomy.JPG

Block_Head_Model_s2.JPG

Features.jpg

Rev.jpg

RevWireframe.jpg

Awesome sculpting, great detailing,

Digging your eye, nose, and face muscle studies along with everything else. Best, Dragon.

Thanks for the comments. Here are a few more pieces for some head sculpting practice. The render was done in Zbrush, composited in Photoshop.

Head_2_Final_Render.jpg
Head2_Final.jpg
Head2_Wire.JPG
Head_1_Final.jpg
Head3_Final.jpg

Here is a skull study that I did for practice. Sculpted from a Zsphere in several hours, Rendered in passes from Zbrush and composited in Photoshop.

Skull_Final.jpg
Skulls_ortho.jpg

Nice skull sketch, if you want to push it you could make the teeth independent subtools. I like the aged look, some of the rake-like strokes might be a bit strong though. Splits and cracks could add more detail too it as well if you wanted to. Keep it up!

Thanks for the suggestions, Senka, I’ll keep that in mind. This was meant to be kind of a quick sketch, but making the teeth separate subtools would be a good idea if I was to spend a bit more time on it.

Here is a bust/portrait of a morose Roman Senator, toppling on the edge of insanity, and who knows perhaps already there. Rendered in Mental Ray with moody chiaroscuro-type lighting.

Grave Roman_Final Render2.jpg

Senator_Zbrush shots.jpg

Senator wireframe.JPG

Here is the early progress of my ‘Greek Hoplite’ soldier with a Corinthian style helmet that I intend eventually to uv, texture, and have a game res type mesh out at about 15 k tris. The base meshes were built in maya2012. Crits and comments welcome.

full_body_low.jpg
mid_body.jpg
head.jpg
full_body_high resps.jpg

Nice! Will you texture it?

Thanks Braga.3d. Yes I intend to texture it and pose it as well with zbrush posing tools. I should post some updates on it fairly soon.

I finally got around to finishing this game model concept that I’ve been working on here and there. This character is a little over 15k Tris, and the diffuse, normal, and spec maps are at 2048x. Base mesh and some retopology done in Maya, sculpt in Zbrush, texturing in Zbrush/Photoshop, normal maps created with Xnormal, and rendered w/ Marmoset toolbag. Thanks for looking–

Hoplite_03_WireAO.jpg
Maps_low.jpg

Great stuff!

Thanks for the interest SammehSAMURAI, Cheers.

Here is a real time game model that I’ve been working on lately. Her name is Jane Strife, and she’s a bounty hunter from another planet that does her hunting here on earth, seeing that there’s a lot more action and madness to go around here that she can capitalize on, thrill seeker that she is. She lives in a world some one-thousand years into the future where several world wars have already since come and gone, and the planet has miraculously survived but still much less populated than it is today, due the resource shortages, pollution, etc. I’m making a lot of this up as I go along, but it sounds not too bad so far, maybe I’ll flesh out some more of her story later on.

The model is about 16.2 k Tri’s, and the Gun, the Ruger MK II fantasy gun is about 2.5 k tri’s. I was just glad to keep it under 20k tri’s. There’s about 4 texture maps at 2048x each. Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, and Marmoset Toolbag were used to create this piece.

Thanks for looking–

Jane Final.jpg
Final_Front and back.jpg
Final_Wire.jpg
Final_Gun.jpg
Gun_Zbrush.jpg
Face shot mat.jpg
face_poly paint.jpg
Head map.jpg
Gun map.jpg

Attachments

Jane Final thumb.jpg

Not bad. I’m going to CnC…not that you asked for it, but eh…

Her pose is rather stiff and unnatural. I would pose her hand and work on her balance more. If you’re going to shoot someone, you’re probably going to be leaning forward, into the direction you’re pointing your gun, not leaning back from it.
The shape of her eyes could use a bit of work, particularly the bottom lid.
She appears to be wearing sweat pants? Was this the intention?
Your spec on your skin is way too strong, are you using an 8bit or 24bit spec/gloss?
On the back of the arm (elbow section) the fabric isn’t flowing in a logical fashion.
You appear to have a normal error on the top of the boot section (the really dark spot).
Your gun is overly scratched and dented for anyone that uses a weapon for a living, you tend to take care of the tool that keeps you alive/gets you money.
Are you using any AO or cavity on her? Either baked in or SS or FX.
Do you have her casting shadows on herself?

eh, my 2cents.

betachannel,

Hi, Thanks for the critique. This was just the pose that my reference model had. I might tweak the pose a little more to see if I can get some more balance or aesthetic appeal, maybe have the gun on the side of the weight carrying leg. She was supposed to be shooting someone that was on the ground so that a little style or grace could be supported over technicality and accuracy.
Yes she is wearing sweat pants, or sport pants. The spec can be toned down of course for the skin. The fabric at the arm could perhaps be better, but that’s more or less what it looks like in the reference as its bunched up at the elbow. It looked a little better in the T pose I thought. Yes the normal map can be taken down in the boot area or fixed, as I happened to rush by that. The gun is quite scratched all to hell, but that’s only because she’s somewhat neglectful with her weapons. She tosses the gun on the pavement sometimes in a rage when her prize gets away, but nonetheless she hangs onto it anyway because it brings her good luck. If anything I would rather have it looking very worn and used than brand new or just slightly used looking. There is an AO in the texture, not a cavity, but yes that could be something to look into and work in if it helps. I couldn’t get marmoset to render the AO properly for the still render, though it does have an option for that. I could get her to cast some shadows on herself with a clear key light source, but for this render the overhead ambient type lighting worked alright for this purpose. There was no floor in the render for a cast shadow, but I agree that having some more shadows probably would help. I can definitely fix a few things to improve it for turntable purposes, but for time sake I may not get to change all of it but as much as I can within reason.

Here’s a character that I just started working on called “Igorth.” He’s a giant killer, almost a giant himself, and something of a lunatic when he gets out onto the field of battle. What use has someone like this for a weapon? Not that he couldn’t use one, but instead he prefers to use his fists to pound the enemy into rubbish.

Here’s my concept sketch that I drew in Photoshop, and here’s the base mesh that I used and the early sculpt. This is mostly a form sculpt; the details, armor/gear will come later. C&C welcome–thanks for looking.

Igorth the giant.jpg
Igorth wip_02.jpg
Igorth wip_01.jpg

Some updates – Retopology at 6-7 k tris for the body, with about 17k in all when the low res gear is added, and some further sculpting and detailing. The poly paint and pose will come next. Critiques/comments welcome.

Wire.jpg
Front.jpg
Back.jpg
Head.jpg

the dude is really looking great. i think he should have to stand on those toes.