ZBrushCentral

Subtool Group

Hey there. So I have a question/request about Subtools in Zbrush. I know you can merge them down to one another, but I have a set up subtools that I do not want to have merged down. I want to be able to group them together and be able to transfer them from file to file without having to go back and forth and append each one. Basically it would be a “Group to Folder” action that would collapse each subtool selected into a folder so you could append it between different ZTools. I am not sure if this is possible with a little scripting or a way to create it? Just thought it may be a good suggestion for the next update.

Cheers-

Adio

It’s not possible to do this through scripting. However, if you want to append all the subtools from one model to another, SubTool Master’s Multi Append function will do it. (You need to load the ZTL from disk.)

More importantly, this is sensible, professional working practice; scrolling through 100+ subtools is a nightmare… Alt click helps, of course, but if you accidentally click the eye on your active subtool, all of a sudden everything is visible and you do have to go through each one to turn off anything that is test or variant and shouln’t be visble.
I really hope they fix this one way or another for v5, because imho it makes n sense the way it currently stands

Agreed. I really enjoy the ZMODELER brush and I’m using ZBrush now to do complex hard surface modeling but my subtools are becoming very difficult to manage. This will also help with transposing a whole element without having to merge the subtools or use transpose master. Please include subtool groups in ver 5.

I’d be okay with even just nest groups, so that I don’t have to scroll through a 70 item list

I found some items growing more than 70

There are already several plugins that address this issue :
Subtool organizer, Nicks tools : those two have features that let you group your subtools and sort them by groups (nicks tools have a lot of nice tools beside this whereas subtool organizer is more dedicated to subtool grouping)
Other plugins also help a lot with managing/working with multiple subtools when you have a great deal of them : Subtool master, Clean Tool Master, Nicks Tools (again)…

They’re quite a relief when you have more than 25 subtools but of course it would be better to have a more low level answer to subtool overpopulation and I’m pretty sure next ZBrush version will have something to deal with that as it’s becoming one of ZB’s main issues.

Hello,

I made a plugin (“ZSceneManager”) which allows to organize your SubTools in groups / folders. It also provides other operations based on multi-subtool selections (rename, incremental rename, VisibilityConfigs, partial GoZ, partial export obj/fbx,…).

The dedicated thread is here:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr…ols-folders%29

Do not hesitate to post your comments and requests in this thread.
I hope this plugin will be useful.

thank you sir