Here's a smallish update. I have most of the hard surface pieces roughed in. I still need to do some cloth under armor on the chest, arms, and gloves. I still have the inside of the mouth to do. I'll do the laser eye piece on a separate texture sheet after everything is finished. When the low poly is made the eyes will be closer together as they were before the fur/hair. Crits and comments welcome.
Added teeth and damage. I took the under armor as far as I am going to take it in ZBrush. I plan on adding in surface details to the armor, fabric, and nose/mouth in Photoshop, as I feel i get sharper results. A little more grooming to do on the fur and some painting. Working on the low-poly now. Crits and comments welcome.
I grew up with the show, man, they did some nutty stuff on that show (Cartman was my favorite character, he really cracked me up). This is a very cool idea. Heck, maybe someone will see this and decide to make a movie based off what you have done?? It's all looking great.
I fell behind where I wanted to be, with 7 days without power from the windstorm that hit the midwest, but back up and running. I have the low poly finished* and have my base normals generated. Alot of cleanup to do and some planned tweaking of geometry, but all in all baked well. I used decimation master for all pieces except for the fur. There is geometry for whiskers,not shown, and also space in the uv's to include future hair/fur patches. I plan on keeping the geometry under 15k probably closer to 14k.
For the fur I used 4 sided follicles and smoothed their face normals in maya. In ZBrush I painted the fur with a midtone base color, dark roots, and lighter tips. I plan to bake off a diffuse that will match the normals and I should be able to easily adjust the colors with hue/saturation & levels in photoshop.
Screenshots from maya high quality renderer, just normals with a blinn..
Last edited by Turchik; 07-20-12 at 09:57 AM.
I made the proportion changes to the eyes and nose and I have my textures pretty far along, but I am still open to suggestions. These are Marmoset renders with global lighting
I've been working between the southpark character/concept and real life otter reference to get something pleasing in the middle. I went with more realistic whiskers, and probably will add a couple to the eyebrows, currently they need a little color/spec tweaking. The teeth/mouth was from real ref as well.
I plan on doing a couple different colorings for both the armor and the fur, as is the case in the show, and my reference above.
Still to do:
-dial back dirt/grim a bit
- fur patches for around the belly and at appropriate/key points on the model
-rigging & posing
crits and comments welcomed!
Last edited by Turchik; 08-01-12 at 07:30 AM.
So here's where I'm stopping for now. After some professional advice I think I am going to redo the body and overall proportions to be more like that of a real otter and less like the south park ones. But here's how it looks now.
SICK !!! This episode is certainly one of the best ever !