New Member User Gallery

Default Conversion of obj or sc1 to dae?

Hello,

Just made an account on the forums, and have started using Sculptris; very new with the program but loving the organic modeling style. Is there a way to convert the filetype directly from .obj to .dae? I am wondering this because in Second Life, the mesh upload will only take a .dae file. Thanks in advance, couldn't find much info on this in the sculptris forum.

Edit: Changed the title; I didn't realize the model is saved as sc1 and then can be exported as an obj.
    Last edited by Andaeros; 05-17-12 at 05:50 PM.

Senior Member User Gallery

Default re

There's several versions of Collada ... so you'll have to experiment, but Wings3d and Blender can both export Collada, and there's a Free FBX convertor from Autodesk that can do it as well, might do the best job. Really need to be carefull, Sculptris models are quite high-poly for SL .

New Member User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by justadeletedguy View Post
    There's several versions of Collada ... so you'll have to experiment, but Wings3d and Blender can both export Collada, and there's a Free FBX convertor from Autodesk that can do it as well, might do the best job. Really need to be carefull, Sculptris models are quite high-poly for SL .
    Appreciate it; I will try the autodesk program first, they have not done wrong by me yet. Will post with update on how well it works for others to know. People are using mesh creations a lot now as it was added to second life somewhat recently.

New Member User Gallery

Update: FBX is not what I am wanting to convert to actually; I do not know if you are familiar with Second Life for uploading mesh models but they only will take the collada format, ".dae"

Default re

Try Wings3d, there was a Thread about exporting to SL recently in the Wings3d Forum.

New Member User Gallery

Question .obj to .dae Does anyone have a way to do it that works?

I too am looking for a way to convert at least .obj to .dae for use in Second Life too. I have both ZBrush and Sculptress and neither one offer the .dae export format. I tried the plug in for SL offered here but I cannot get it to work properly at all and apparently even if it did work it will not allow rigged mesh, which is what I need. I have exported my ZBrush work in .obj and sent it to blender and attempted to convert it that way but had huge problems with mapping.

So if anyone recently has found a solution please reply! Thanks

Default re

use the FBX convertor to convert to fbx ... then convert the fbx to Dae .....

Sculptris models are quite high-poly for SL
    Did anyone paid any attention to this?
    Last edited by Serek; 11-01-12 at 02:05 PM.

New Member User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Serek View Post
    Did anyone paid any attention to this?
    yeh I saw that; but you can decrease the polys in either sculptress or move it to ZBrush and use a plug in to decrease the polys; that is NOT my problem, the format is!

New Member User Gallery

use the FBX convertor to convert to fbx ... then convert the fbx to Dae .....
    thanks will see how that works fo rme

You could try the ZSculpty Tools to export directly to .dae from zbrush. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...ZSculpty-Tools Note that I hven't tried it in zbrush 4R4 to see if it is still compatible.
    Last edited by Richard Marklew; 11-02-12 at 02:09 AM.

Then go ahead, TAZZZZ. Just bear in mind that an average SL avatar should be about 6,000 (six thousand) polygons large, only three times the detail of the default sphere and that's cr@ppy as hell within Sculptris. Decimation is a tool for make some models lighter to handle without loosing any (mostly) noticeable detail, but that's still too heavy for exporting to a videogame of any sort. Unfortunately, to the date there's no other way than make a retopology over your model, tailor the UVMaps and bake the textures before rigging and exporting to SL, UDK, CryEngine, Unity or whatever the game engine you choose.

New Member User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Marklew View Post
    You could try the ZSculpty Tools to export directly to .dae from zbrush. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...ZSculpty-Tools Note that I hven't tried it in zbrush 4R4 to see if it is still compatible.
    Yep tried using it; but it stalled out on pre formatting process so did not save corectly. I was able to almost get it into SL but kept getting a messag that there was something missing so unable to upload file.

New Member User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Serek View Post
    Then go ahead, TAZZZZ. Just bear in mind that an average SL avatar should be about 6,000 (six thousand) polygons large, only three times the detail of the default sphere and that's cr@ppy as hell within Sculptris. Decimation is a tool for make some models lighter to handle without loosing any (mostly) noticeable detail, but that's still too heavy for exporting to a videogame of any sort. Unfortunately, to the date there's no other way than make a retopology over your model, tailor the UVMaps and bake the textures before rigging and exporting to SL, UDK, CryEngine, Unity or whatever the game engine you choose.
    I am not making large items or whole avatars, just clothing, so do not reuire a particularly high poly count, but the whole thing is mute for me now anyways as I just found out that even if I could export to SL directly from ZBrush; that I would not be able to rig the clothing anyways from ZBrush. Sighs..