ZBrushCentral

Symmetry problem exporting to DAZ Studio

As many of you know who use DAZ Studio with Sculptris, if you use Symmetry in Sculptris and export the OBJ file to DAZ Studio, you get a horrible complete crumbling of one half of the model when you apply the morph (ie. when you apply the OBJ file to your Genesis character in DAZ via the morph slider). I speculate that maybe Sculptris changes the ordering of the polygons which DAZ cannot handle, but that’s just a wild guess. Does anyone know a work around for this problem? (Perhaps something can be done in Blender to the OBJ file before exporting it to DAZ Studio?) Is Pixologic going to tweak the export function soon to address this? I would happily pay for Sculptris for just this fix alone!

I had a bit of trouble with textures and symmetry.
Try…turn symmetry off before you export. And even just move a few polys on one side so it sort of registers its not symmetrical,and just to make sure save the scene.

Those were my Vids … and as I recall, I did mention you “Can’t” use Symmetry on your morphs … How ever, I do believe I saw somewhere in a Daz tutorial that you can Morph one Side and have Daz Studio Mirror it for you …

The reason you can’t use symmetry - If you open an “bla.obj” file in Notepad you’ll see a Header, some “map kd” info , and then it will start with a long list of numbers and commas … I don’t know how to read this, but I do know that they’re in order, what’s called the “vertex order”. When you change to Symmetry, you’re essentially dropping half the model and then Sculptris is mirroring the first half … rebuilding the Order … Frankly I’m surprised your morph loaded at all …

You might could try using Blender’s Sculpt tools. Blender’s Sculpt mode works like ZBrush … mirroring the Action rather than the model. But this presents it’s own problems, as Blender like’s to rename things internaly … maybe I’ll work on this a bit, see what I can come up with …

I dug into this a bit, there is no way to mirror a morph in Daz Studio (asked in their forums). Blender’s a bust, can’t get a morph back out. Zbrush if you’ve got it is about the only answer.

You can use the old-school tools in Wings3d (not sculpting), and Don’t Mirror, rather just choose the same vertex, edge, polygon 's on either side and move at the same time. Use scaling in Vertex mode to move along the x axis. Get your rough shapes in Wings3d, then take into Sculptris to smooth out … shouldn’t be too awfully bad …

Or just do it by hand in Sculptris …

I started a thread over there on this … there’s an answer, if you have Poser … there’s supposed to be some script that will do this in Poser … then you could export the obj back out and use it for a morph … Here’s the thread …

This problem has been solved (at least for us at Winterbrose) for the Alpha 6 version of Sculptris. We have not tested it with the latest download, which may contain some updates.