ZBrushCentral

Macro for GoZ paths for different versions

Hi.

Just thought of this on the way out (otherwise I could just test it), can I record a macro that changes the version pick of a GoZ app? In this case Maya 2012 versus 2013.

Thx

Are you on PC or Mac? Technically I believe you can setup GoZ to multiple versions of Maya. You would just switch the GoZ target app like normal through the R button.

On a Mac. The “R” button only lists one Maya app (currently selected). So this doesn’t work. Only way to switch is by changing the path to Maya and then browsing to the other version. Thought I could just do zbrush macro recording of this but that doesn’t seem to work either.

Thoughts?

Hello,
to add more entry inside GoZ, you just need to add a folder with a specific text file inside.
So to use Maya 2013 and Maya 2012 with GoZ, duplicate the Maya folder found here :

on Windows:C
:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps

on Mac:
\Users\Shared\Pixologic\GoZApps

Rename the first Maya 2012 and the second Maya 2013.

Hope it helps.

Yeah you just need to make a copy and then change one line of code.

Like mentioned on mac in your \Users\Shared\Pixologic\GoZApps there’s a Maya folder.

Make a copy of this folder and name it Maya 2012 and rename the other one to Maya 2013.

Inside both folders is a text file named GoZ_Info.txt.

Find the line that says:

NAME = “Maya”

It should be the first line.

Change it to name whatever you want it to be labeled inside Zbrush.

In your example

NAME = “Maya 2012”
or
NAME = “Maya 2013”

Make sure you keep it inside the quotes. This line just tells Zbrush what to label it. From there you just need to run the GoZ find apps procedure and find the two different Maya versions. Now when you hit the GoZ R button both Maya 2012 and Maya 2013 (Or whatever you named them in the text file) should show up.

Good news and bad. The good, it does what you said with regards to zbrush now being able to see both paths from preferences and from the “R” button. The bad, they both don’t send anything (except to save successfully to disk), and both Mayas launch with errors.

Maya 2013 err: // Warning: file: /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2013-x64/prefs/shelves/shelf_GoZBrush.mel line 31: Pixmap file /Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrush.xpm not found, using default. //

Maya 2012 err: // Warning: Pixmap file /Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrush.xpm not found, using default. //

Seems to have an issue with maybe some hardcoding of the “GoZBrush.xpm” files. As now there are 2 since I’ve duplicated the original. I tried to change the hard coding reference in the “shelf_GoZBrush.mel” file that seems to be calling or referencing to the “GoZBrush.xpm” file, but it just changes the path line back to /Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya.

Making a new plain “Maya” folder (/Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya) with the “GoZBrush.xpm” , “GoZ_Config.txt” and “GoZ_Info.txt” files seem to get the Maya apps to come to the front, but doesn’t bring in any model(s). For Maya 2012, I get “// Error: line 1: File not found.”

Ideas?

There may be some Maya issues with 2012 or 2013 not yet fixed with GoZ on Zbrush or Maya’s end. So get one version working fully before moving forward.

Try only using one folder with setup completely to one version of Maya. Start with the one you intend to use the most. Get GoZ working fully without any folder copies, renames or changes.

Once you do that try making a backup copy of your GoZ shared folder. From there get the other version to work fully. It sounds like there are some issues on Maya’s end and not Zbrush’s. From what it sounds like it’s probably in the scripting and/or location Maya is looking for the GoZ transfer files. You may have to do additional scripting changes on Maya’s end.

It might also help if you explain your workflow and why you need Zbrush to go to both versions of Maya in the first place.

I use different versions of Blender on the same machine and GoZ works fine. It’ll only transfer to the one I’m working in but I can go between them easily without adding any additional copies of the GoZ folders or files. I don’t use Maya anymore (haven’t since version 7) so not sure if it’ll do the same. You could try it, but it sounds like there might be issues as well.

It seems there is a reference break after changing the folder names to the respective versions. When I change them to “Maya 2012” and “Maya 2013” this allows zbrush to see them both under preferences and via the “r” menu button, but when either Maya is launched, the path to the original shelf breaks here:

(// Warning: file: /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2013-x64/prefs/shelves/shelf_GoZBrush.mel line 31: Pixmap file /Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrush.xpm not found, using default. // ).
When I change the path “/Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya” back from both “Maya 2012” and “Maya 2013” it works again.
So “/Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya” works.

I was told it comes down to controlling the “C:/Users/Shared/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZ_Config.txt” file. But how to reference it becomes an issue between doing it for both version at the same time without breaking the link.

Help.

The .mel file is the Maya script for GoZ. That error is saying Maya can’t find the transfer file location (because of the rename). You’ll need to readjust the .mel script file on Maya’s end to get it to look for the renamed location. You’ll have to do this for both 2013 and 2012 versions.

Now Zbrush crashes when importing from either version. I’ve tried to force reinstall GoZ for both but I get a message saying there are permissions issues or I may need to be logged in as Administrator (which I already am in).

The only thing different about the Maya 2013 install is that I’m using a python script (that was working fine) called “mabackward.py” I got from here: http://www.scaphandrier.net/treex/dev/maBackward.zip.

I just changed the GoZApp folder back to plain Maya and the respective lines inside the “shelf_GoZBrush.mel” from the “/2013-x64/prefs/shelves/shelf_GoZBrush.mel” path and it works in both directions.

I don’t get it.

Now I’ll try repairing permissions??

After repairing permissions I can only send from Maya 2012 to Zbrush, even when the “r” button selects the Maya 2012 version it sends it to Maya 2013. But the Maya 2013 back and forth works.

However, the force reinstall only works on the Maya 2013 (it seems. It just flashes. No message saying completed or anything), not 2012. The 2012 error says, "An error occurred during installation. One possible cause could be insufficient permissions in target application installation folder. Please run ZBrush as an administrator an try again to run the GoZ application!

What’s the deal??

Its strange but I remember initially copying the “shelf_GoZBrush.mel” from Maya 2012 to Maya 2013’s shelve folder. Now I’m wondering if 2013 should have this file in it? Or vice versa because it seems to be where the issue is.

Can someone tell me their path structure for this file?

thx