ZBrushCentral

John Carter Interview with Kevin Hudson of Double Negative

Pixologic is pleased to bring you the second half of our two-part series of John Carter interviews. In this part we spoke with Kevin Hudson from Double Negative. His team took the concept art created by Legacy Effects and performed the digital wizardry that brought the movies characters and creatures to life.

CLICK HERE FOR THE INTERVIEW

Many thanks to Kevin Hudson and the team at Double Negative for taking the time
to provide such great answers to our questions!

Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments in this thread with Kevin and the Double Negative team,
as well as Scott and the Legacy Effects team!

Be sure to also check out our many past interviews, which can be found in the
ZBrush Artist Interviews
forum and the User Stories page at the Pixologic website.

Attachments

Part1b.jpg

Great interview and very informative. It’s great to see the concept taken into the full production at grand scale! Also Love the 3 layers of Displacement trick. Very innovative.

Thanks pixologic, kevin hudson and Double negative team for this interview. Definitely, this support to films with interviews with their artists team change my concept of the movies. This week i plain go to the movie theater and ill see your work!

I can just concur, thank your Pixologic, Kevin Hudson for that great interview man.:slight_smile: Totally loved the article and really is very useful for a beginner/student like me to get such great production pipeline infos! Watched the movie already and I really liked the concepts of the Thark World.
Best,

• Kenny:)

These are great! Is there anyway you can provide the entire article in pdf downloadable format? And maybe include a zip archive of all the high res images?

Great interview, very informative! Would have liked to see at least one character wireframe though…

Also, the muscle/skin/vein layer separation is something I’ve been thinking about before, combined with an automatic tension map to mask intensities - unfortunately the project got canceled… Good to hear it works in practice, although the workflow seems quite a bit more complicated than I thought :slight_smile:

Great interview! Thanks to Pixologic and Dneg for this very instructiv making of.
Thanks to Kevin for all this great technical details, it is extremely interesting to understand the technical need of the pipeline and the how to join the artistic side to the task.
The work done for this movie is just huuuuuge! Well done to all who have contributed to bring to life all this charismatic characters!

Awesome interview. Very complete in all respects. Loved.:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

hello
its very nice.good luck: D

Great post Aurick a happy Easter to you btw. Fantastic to catch up with Mr Patton too in the first interview. Mr Patton - fine amiable fellow and talented artist. Scott if you read this hello and brilliant work :slight_smile:

Great works!!!
I’m looking forward to see the works in the movie.

nothing else needs

Great interview! Kevin was my Maya instructor - top notch guy, an experienced and very talented artist.

It’s funny because I just saw John Carter recently then I find this interview. What a great interview.