ZBrushCentral

Todd Pilger sketchbook

My 14 year-old son Blake composes music almost non-stop. He has to eat, sleep and go to school so at least he takes a few breaks. As he was composing a piece he titled “Remorse” I asked him to describe what he sees as he writes. In his mind are emotions rather than images, so we thought it would be fun if I sculpted something to supply a visual.

The sculpt took roughly an hour. You can see the process in the time-lapse. I start with a sphere, roughly shape it, dynaMesh to clean up stretched faces, then sculpt. The sculpting is pretty simple since it’s intended to be finished in a few hours. The time-lapse ends before I did the posing and made the fiberMesh hair. ZB crashed during the texture paint, so I opted to do a black and white image. The render is with mental ray in Maya with post-processing in Photoshop.

A 2k image is attached.

For those interested, more of Blake’s music.

Attachments

remorse_v1.jpg

remorse_1k_v1.jpg

Wow, very expressive sculpt.

I enjoyed the timelapse, you nailed the fibermesh too.

Very good work! :+1:

HerraPuputti - Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the time-lapse ends before the fiberMesh. That’s the first time I’ve used it and I can see lots of uses for it in the future. I spent a grand total of 10 minutes on the hair compared to days in other packages.

bubba_half_v1.jpg
The sculpt was the easiest part. Some days you can get buried in the details. I liked the hair groom, but I didn’t notice how thin each strand was until I exported it into Maya. After unsuccessful attempts at fixes, I ended up exporting the curves, then writing a quick script to extrude a ribbon on each.

Edit: I swapped the image for a half rez version and attached the high rez.

Attachments

bubba_v1.jpg

nice!

Really nice and great use for Fiber Mesh!

Awesome style! :+1:

Fun character

lazy noob, SolidSnakexxx, asecbrush and monstermaker - Thanks for the feedback.

sketch_club_mark_half_12_04_19.jpg

At work, some friends and I head out to a local restaurant and sketch passers-by. As we pack up to go, we pick a “mark”, memorize them, then head back to our desks and draw them from memory.

This week it was a sweet, little old lady patiently waiting to cross the street.

This was done in my spare time over a few days. ZBrush for sculpting and painting, Maya and Mental Ray for rendering and Photoshop for little tweaks.

Attachments

sketch_club_mark_12_04_19.jpg

Great stuff. Very natural and expressive. Nice rendering too. Looking forward to more.

sketch_club_mark_12_09_06_half.jpg

Another Sketch Club mark. ZBrush for the sculpt, Mental Ray in Maya for the render, slight touch up in Photoshop.

Attachments

sketch_club_mark_12_09_06.jpg

Love the proportions on this latest character.

Spent a little time with an anatomy study. It was fun, far from finished, but that’s all the time I can spare on it.

Reference photos are from Marcus Ranum (link).
Model is BrittaniLuv (link).

mei_front_half.jpgmei_left_half.jpgmei_back_half.jpgmei_right_half.jpg

I started with ZSpheres, rez’d up and sculpted in ZBrush. Render is in Maya with Mental Ray.
mei_steps_half.jpg

Attachments

mei_front.jpg

mei_steps.jpg

mei_right.jpg

mei_left.jpg

mei_back.jpg

Nice render and nice sculpt but I find the stomach area to be somehow weird :slight_smile:

i agree, great sculpt, but her mid area seems over defined compared to the non extreme pose she is in. Real dont mean realistic always ;]

Thanks for the compliment. I agree that the stomach needs some attention as do a few other areas. I was too focused on shape and silhouette so the forms suffered. Ah well, lesson learned.

Sketch from last week. Just a random person on the street.
sketch_12_09_22_half_v1.jpg

ZBrush for sculpt and texture, Mental Ray in Maya for render, Photoshop for touchup.

I dont want to know where you live if people look like that ;D

:laughing:

the caricatures looks nice!:+1: