New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Human Experiments

Hi all, first post and all that.

Thought I'd share the results of my Sculptris -> Lightwave workflow I've been working on. I've given it the Anatomy Tools treatment as a detailing test; it's not an exact replica though since that wasn't my objective.

Sculpted and textured in Sculptris (except fingers and toes) rendered in LW using a displacement mapped subd model, with some help from Blender (although there was a little more to it than that).

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Incredible job, mate! I was to say it was posted at the wrong forum because it actually looks like ZBrush. Wish you could explain the technique in detail later

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    it's not an exact replica though since that wasn't my objective.
    IMO that attitude usually leads to better results than other more arrogant.

Great work, I love it !

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Serek View Post
    Wish you could explain the technique in detail later
    Ok, you asked for it...

First I sculpted the form with as much detail as I thought I could get away with, while concurrently making a separate "pre-topologised" base mesh in Lightwave. The base mesh is to save having to retopo from scratch whenever I want to sculpt a humanoid; I just reshape it to fit. I exchanged the fingers/toes for the ones on the base model though since they're a bit more uniform. Both the sculpt and the base were then exported to Blender for displacement baking.

Now the trick to getting the maximum possible detail is to import the base mesh into Sculptris Alpha 5 since it supports 4096 x 4096 textures, whereas the current Alpha 6 does not. The other trick is to create the UVs manually, since Sculptris doesn't generate very economical UV maps. Once it successfully imports (it gets a bit crashy so this can take a few attempts), I save it as a .sc1 file so I can continue working on it in Alpha 6.

Next, in Sculptris I load the displacement image onto the model as a texture, to use as a guide for where to apply the bump detail. It would be nice of course to be able to paint directly onto the high res model, and I tried to achieve this by exporting the displaced subd mesh out of LW as a high res mesh, but I couldn't get it into Sculptris without crashing on import. I don't think it likes high poly objects with preexisting UVs much.

Sculptris also doesn't seem to allow mirroring of textures on a pre-UV mapped object, so to work around that I textured one half and did the mirroring externally in 2D. I found that normal maps give a very marginally better appearance than bumps (at the expense of not being able to edit them easily) and when they're mirrored the red channel has to be inverted on the flipped half. I used the displacement image as a basis for the colour texture map.

From here it's just a matter of exporting and applying the texture, normal and displacement maps to the base mesh in Lightwave.

Thats' the basic gist of it... I glossed over some of the details, let me know if anything needs further explaining. I might post a turntable anim when it's finished rendering.

(c:
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 04-13-12 at 09:35 AM.

Very Nice !!!

Hm, ScA5, almost forgot about it. I never could create a 4096 map with my old PC but now it works. Also, I found that although Sculptris Alpha 6 is limited to 2048 it can load painted models with a 4096 map. I can paint any up to 500k triangles model with a single map!

Default re

I had problems loading Quad-mesh externally mapped UV's with alpha 5 .... but yea that's an option ....
    If you exported a Displacement map from Blender (Black and white), you could import it as a mask.

Thanks justadeletedguy & Hickman89.

Quote Originally Posted by justadeletedguy View Post
    If you exported a Displacement map from Blender (Black and white), you could import it as a mask.
    Heh, didn't even realise you could do that until now. Nice. Now if only you could import bumps...

108 hours to go on that turntable render by the way (I keep fussing and restarting). Should look pretty though.

I've explained & complained. It even says you can import bump maps, copy and paste to them, in the PDF. But no such luck in the app .....

Rendering complete.