Hi Everyone,

I’m a relative newbee at Zbrush but I’ve been labouring for too long trying to construct realistic eyes like those that our friends Tsvetomir Georgiev and Pixolator seem to find so effortless. Glenn Southern provides a very useful tutorial which brings the rest of us very close to the ideal. Glenn uses a regular sphere made from the Jelly Bean material but because the iris is polypainted onto the exterior, the position of the pupil looks incorrect when viewed nearly sideways on. And of course when it is viewed exactly from the side, the iris is visible instead of the clear cornea.

I’ve been experimenting with constructing the eyeball with a flattened face for the iris, like the real thing, and then surrounding the whole eyeball with a clear envelope with a slight inflation for the cornea. However, this doesn’t work because the ‘refraction’ features in Zbrush don’t seem to work like they do on regular 3D applications.

Clearly I’m going about this in the wrong way but don’t have a clue how to proceed and I suspect I’m not alone. What I need is a detailed tutorial(s) from one of the Zbrush Brahmins that covers everything from modelling thru to materials, lighting etc, etc.

Eyes are such an important part of what Zbrush is able to offer that I think there should be a standard tutorial for this one element alone on the main video page.

David