ZBrushCentral

My very first ZBrush piece: Fantasy Sleigh...

Hi there, I’ve just completed my very first piece in ZBrush 4… It’s a fantasy sleigh, and I still have the warrior and the “evil reindeers” to sculpt… I’ve started with the sleigh, because I was a bit afraid of the hard surface brushes, and I wanted to learn them first… I’m a 2D guy, and this is my first foray into the 3D world… I usually do location design and storyboard for 2D series…
More than 50% of the sculpture was made using meshes created in Shadowbox… I love Shadowbox because it retains all of the positioning information, so we never get lost with the Subtool placement… I haven’t touched the Spotlight and Polypainting options yet, because I don’t want to get spread out too much, since I’m a starter… So this is how it’s looking so far…

Attachments

Shadowbox.jpg

TRB-8.jpg

TRB-1.jpg

TRB-2.jpg

TRB-3.jpg

TRB-4.jpg

TRB-5.jpg

TRB-6.jpg

TRB-9.jpg

TRB-10.jpg

wow !!! you made that sleigh in shadowbox ? amazing, wonderful… really love it (though around easter i find a sleigh with reindeers funny … lol) ;; great work !!

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

I love the design on this! Did you make seperate parts in shadowbox and then asemble them?

Thanks guys!.. Shadowbox was of great help to get the basic shapes that I needed to work properly , but keep in mind that it is by no mean a way to get sharp and precise subtools right away… It will just give you a good workable mesh that will help you achieving good results at a low level of subdivision, meaning that your polygons won’t get stretched out too early in the workflow… It’s also the best way to cut holes inside your mesh… The subtools I got from Shadowbox were very “balloonlike”, but I could get the results that I wanted very fast with the clip brushes… With the three views of my sleigh wrapped around the Shadowbox, I was assured that all the subtools generated with it would be at the right place, and with the right proportions in relation with one another… Once all the pieces I wanted were created and saved as tools, I just had to reassemble them in a new project… Here’s an Xpose view of the decimated model…

split.jpg

I also used some custom alphas that I made myself… They were drawn by hand with markers, before I added the grey tones in Photoshop… I added a gaussian blur to the motif, to make sure that the corners would be smooth on the surface of the mesh…

Motif.jpg

Next step: the warrior !.. I’ve done some color studies for him already in Painter12… Can’t wait to see the results in 3D !..

Guerrier-poses-couleur.jpg

Guerrier-couleur.jpg

Excellent work, I love the sleigh and I love the Santa drawings.

Ezra

fascinating and inspiring stuff! I wonder are you familiar with old norse Gustafson’s Sleigh http://www.martinlaventure.com/Travel/Norway-2011-1/18531287_XRh24k/1430520427_x5vShvd#!i=1430520427&k=x5vShvd

Yes!.. I had some photocopies of that when I was doing my first sketches… I also had some reference of old Russian churches… Very inspiring stuff indeed… I will probably spend a lot of care trying to keep that feeling, when I do the polypainting work… But overall it’s Fantasy stuff, I just take the elements that I find exciting and I make my own synthesis out of it…

Now that…is awesome. :lol:

perfect use of shadowbox! Looking forward to see the Warrior in 3D. :+1:

Congrats on the turntable gallery nice work !! What did you use for the wood texture?

Thanks !.. I mostly used textures from CGTextures, but some of them come from the Pixologic Download Center (Alpha Library)… They are color pictures that I imported as alphas… Some were pre-edited in Photoshop so they would follow the shape of the subtools… The Z Intensity was set at around 11 or 12 most of the time… At a higher setting, it starts looking like a caricature of a texture, instead of just adding realism and a sense of scale…

Here’s an exemple of a pre-edited texture ready for stamping with the Drag Rect stroke:

courbe.jpg

The motifs on the side were just hand-drawn:

motif.jpg

Great work Robert. The quality of the detais show your long experience in 2d graphism.
Bravo!

Hi Robert, are you still working on this one?

Yes, I’m working on the warrior… I will post most of the subtools as I sculpt them, starting with the three daggers… I’m pretty slow, because I’m only working part time on that… But I don’t give up !.. :wink:

OK, I’ve completed the set of three daggers for my warrior (actually, the warrior itself is coming along really well, but there is still a lot to do before I share anything)… So I’ll post the accessories as I sculpt them… The dagger number 3 is the same as number 1, but with different alpha texturing… They will have different colors at the end anyway… I used the same MatCap as the sleigh, for the sake of continuity, even though the red wax shows the small details better…

To start with, a detail of the original 2D artwork:

D-artwork.jpg

And then the final set of three daggers:

D-wholeset.jpg

Different views of each one:

Dagger-1

D-A-1.jpg
D-A-2.jpg
D-A-3.jpg
D-A-4.jpg
D-A-5.jpg

Attachments

D-B-1.jpg

D-B-2.jpg

D-B-3.jpg

Dagger-2

D-B-1.jpg
D-B-2.jpg
D-B-3.jpg
D-B-4.jpg
D-B-5.jpg

Dagger-3

D-C-1.jpg
D-C-2.jpg
D-C-3.jpg
D-C-4.jpg
D-C-5.jpg

Still working on the accessories for my nordic warrior… Out of the factory: four decorative metallic plates (with custom made motifs), and a quiver with three javelins… ZBrush is good for me… :slight_smile:

Plates.jpg
Carq-1-red.jpg
Carq-2-red.jpg
Carquois-3.jpg
Carq-1-white.jpg
Carq-2-white.jpg

cool and different :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: i like these - some cool stuff in your thread !!!