ZBrushCentral

Zbrush BPR Testing

Hello zbrushers.

I finally got around to playing with BPR especially since R2b has hair. Yay!!! Thanks Pixologic, now I can finish projects requiring hair without having to shell out $3000 to upgrade to XSI advanced. The image below was done almost entirely in Zbrush. I did use uvlayout and body paint to clean up uv seams as well the final image was composited in photoshop. There does seem to be some issues with subpixel accuracy (despite setting subpix to the maximum 7) as seen on some parts of the hair but compared to mental ray, it’s considerably faster. Average render time was 10 mins.

For comparison, this is something I did last summer which was sculpted in zbrush, of course, and rendered with mental ray. Average render time was, if I recall correctly, about 45 mins.

Attachments

Girl_large.jpg

portrait.jpg

Of course it’s absolutely beautiful! Small crit: her right eye (on our left when looking at it) is a bit too cross-eyed.

:+1:

great job on the hair! i think some more highlights on the eyes would make them come alive :+1:

wow, awesome work!, tho i would be inclined to give herd a more happier expression, she feels very unimpressed about something… and not have her look down… but either way, great sculpt :slight_smile:

great sculpt! and love the hair!:slight_smile:

Awesome!! Great sculpt, realistic render. The hair is also very good I think! :slight_smile:

I’d say this is top row. Only thing I can think of is to play around with the preview wax and comp that in for some fake SSS. The hair is very ellegant. Do you have non bpr images of it too?

Wow! Exquisite and elegant, lovely pose, render, sculpt. Top Row in my book! All the best, David :smiley:

Good work!

Amazing work really, totally love the anatomy of the girls and the motions on the potrait are great!
Could you tell us a little of the BPR rendering? Would be really appreciate it.
Looking forward seeing more from you
ALl the best and happy sculpting,

• Kenny :slight_smile:

Beautiful work!

Ecther - Thank you.

KC-Production - Thanks for the kind words. I will make a mini tutorial with the bpr settings sometime this week so stay tuned.

Jerick - Thanks

womball - I definitely appreciate the critique and the tip. I’ll post screen caps along with the tutorial.

sommerlied - Glad you like it. :smiley:

davidness - Thanks a lot.

Jutsu - I agree, she does look rather serious but I was trying to go more for that Victorian style portrait where the subject doesn’t really display emotion. My initial plan was to have her give a sultry look with one eyebrow up, but I felt the “sexy” look might be too cliche. I’ll definitely keep your suggestion in mind for the future.

JAredandblack - Gratitude for the complement and the suggestion. I’ll try to work on the changes.

EricShawn - Thanks Eric for both the nice words and the suggestion.

Sorry for the tardy response everyone… I’ wasn’t expecting this many responses as it was more a thread to show how far BPR had come compared to more established rendering engines, so I didn’t subscribe to the thread in order to keep my email leaner. Between facebook updates, and messages from other forums and every other commercial site that has my email, I struggle to keep my inbox organized.

I’ll, try and refine the piece with your awesome critiques as well as write a tutorial to explain BPR better. Thanks again.

So here is an image with my BPR settings. I’m actually not using the sss since I couldn’t get it to do what I was looking for. Once in photoshop, all the passes were combined along with levels adjustment and color correction. Since the purpose of this project was to learn BPR ,please take the settings with a grain of salt as my understanding of it is novice at best. In fact they may even be counterproductive. :confused:

I tried to incorporate all the changes everyone suggested. The skin still has a plastic quality I don’t like and there are other issues but I’m a little burned out on it so I’m going to put this project to rest for now. Thanks again, especially the critique.

portrait2.jpg

She looks amazing… one small crit - shadow too strong on the inside corner of her right eye… but she’s a beaut…

-and for what it’s worth, set time limits on your sessions, it does wonders in preventing burn out… all the best, -g

Very beautiful work. I love her hair, very elegant.

Wow…the hair’s just beautiful!

Nice work! :+1:
The first long hair I see here. Since I’ve seen only punks, grass and furry ugly creatures. :laughing:

beautiful work, i am glad i finally noticed your work, missed your first presentation of it… really like the pose, and mood the piece have. and, even though we were all so very excited when new fibremesh came, we have not seen too many good hair renders yet. your hair is phantastic, it looks great. only suggestion i would have, if you decide to tweak more, is to add a little more specular highlights on it. thats nitpicking though. the shapes and flwo of the hair is great.

looks so real ! :+1:

Absolutely stunning