I'm a senile old man who started out modding textures for games in the early -00's. As I grew more and more frustrated with my inability to edit the 3D files themselves, I began to download tutorials for various 3D-editing software geared for specific game engines. From there it was only a matter of time before I started to look around for the real deal, and since then I've worked in 3DS max, Maya and LightWave.
Being curious by nature, I've fooled around with most aspects of 3D. I have tried out animation, modelling, texturing and anything in between, which have sadly led to a vey incomplete demo reel as most projects have been abandoned halfway through once I've come across a new field I wanted to fiddle around with. I recently inherited a large sum of money and decided to quit my job and try to get into some art programs, but since my demo reel was much thinner that expected, I decided to try out Zbrush, hoping that it would be able to streamline my workflow. And did it ever!
I'll add my work here as I complete it. Please feel free to hand out critiscism and opinions, that is the reason I post my work after all. I'll start out with the very first thing I made in Zbrush a few weeks ago: The Moon Rocket from Tintin.
My goal with this project was to test the hard surface possibilities of Zbrush. I had recently bought a Tintin desk decoration and felt inspired. I wanted to stay true to the original design, but also add some details of my own. Hergé was the master of the school of clean lines, and thus his rocket design is very minimalistic. I began by following his design exactly, but quickly realised that it was going to be a very, very boring 3D model unless I added some details.
For example, the original design is completely devoid of gaps between the various parts of the rocket, the antenna is extremely rudementary and there is no engine housing to speak of. I found that the model became much more interesting once I added some minor details to these areas. I also added some lines and crevises to the pontoones not found on the original.
The model is at roughly 9 million polygons, and most of those are just there to make sure that the rounded surfaces are perfectly smooth. I also played around with multi pass rendering for the first time.
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it.