ZBrushCentral

City State Entertainment characters

Hello,

I wanted to post some promotional artwork for City State Entertainment’s upcoming game. The Studio was formed by Mark Jacobs, co-founder and former CEO of Mythic Entertainment, and Andrew Meggs, former Senior Software Engineer of Bethesda, Mythic, and Troika games. I am excited to say that we are releasing our first game for the iPad within the next few weeks. Working at City State Entertainment has been an incredible experience, and I truly feel lucky to work with our remarkable team.

As a character guy, I’ve been pretty spoiled here with amazing concept work from our artists. This shifty little dude was cooked up by photoshop ninja Michelle Davies. The snowman is <1100 tris, textured in BodyPaint and rendered with Mental Ray in 3DS Max. Due the amount of characters and extremely short time frame, ZBrush has played an integral part in the pipeline using UV Master for every model.

We have plenty of characters and promotional art I will be posting over the next few weeks, and will see if I can sneak out some wireframes and texture maps. To learn more about our studio and updates about our sweet game, please visit CityStateEntertainment.com for more info!

Best, mike

Attachments

snowman_003.jpg

Michael, great snowy snowguys. Are you going to post some of the raw material too, maybe some ZBrush screenies?

Scott,

Thank you for the reply. I was just looking MadBattleMan, so cool I want that toy!! Yes, I am going to upload some wireframes and textures, along with more character renders.

Well it’s about damn time Milano, lol. Looking good man, never seen snowmen look so sinister. Hurry back to Chucktown!:idea:

CityStateEntertainment.com
suicide2.jpg
maps.jpg

Haha thanks Truubluu, ur outa control!

Here is another teaser with two more characters from the same faction of our upcoming game from CSE. Big guy was one of our games original design, done by artist Lucas Feld. Both characters are <1200 tris, and the little guy carries 4 bombs with him. I will soon post wireframes and UV Master process I use to lay out the characters. And please check out our website, CityStateEntertainment.com to learn more about our team and upcoming launch!

Ha, cool stuff here Michael. Always enjoy seeing cartoon styles like these. Would be cool to see these characters in actual physical toy collectibles (kinda like the ‘Skylander’ folks have done). Much success to you and your studio Michael. Best.

Dragon,

Thank you for the kind words. Any studio I am at, I am always pushing for printing of our models in hopes toy production. CSE is more open than anywhere else I’ve worked, and Mark is always eager to listen to our ideas. So hopefully we will have toys in the near future!

CityStateEntertainment.combigfoot_2.jpgAnother promotional piece from the team at CSE, which we released for Valentine’s Day. This big guy was designed by our newest team member, Sandra Pavulaan, who’s pet bearded dragons Inca and Aztec are our studio’s new mascots. The character is <1300 tris, and rainbow and clouds done with PFLow in 3ds Max. And please visit our website, CityStateEntertainment.com for more info and images!

Beautiful hand-painted texture and lovely style :+1:
Looking forward for the UV master tips :smiley:

Ah, smart man. And why not right? If folks will dig the characters in game play, why not have them on the desktops next to the computer or game system right? Again, clean ‘cool’ style going on here. Went to your company’s website, lots of good stuff up there. Best.

Thank you shulinchung. We have many, many more characters to release, and I will post the UV Master process I use on Monday

Dragon, I couldn’t agree more. I love toys, and getting a 3D print back from a ZBrush sculpt is one of the greatest experiences I’ve had as an artist. I would love to share these guys with the market.

And thank you Pixologic for their great post about CSE on their blog. The studio was thrilled when we saw the write-up last night!

Best, mike

CityStateEntertainment.com
royalGardner_01.jpg

tutorial_g.jpg

Hello,

I wanted to post some more promotional work from the team at CSE. This was a pre-Valentine’s Day work. (We love happy holidays!) This Groovy dude was dreamt up by concept artist/animator Sandra Pavulaan, who has quickly become a key asset in our character pipleine. And she also painted this trippy background :slight_smile: And don’t forget to check out our website, CityStateEntertainment.com for more work.

Here is a quick tutorial on how I use UV Master for all of our characters. ZBrush’s initial unwrap has less stretching than any other modeling/UV program I have used before. Literally unwrapping a character in seconds, it has helped save around an hour per model. With so many characters, UV Master has saved us weeks in work time. And the quicker we can get these guys rigged and off to our animation machine Scott Trolan. He loves to make things move sexy!!

Best, mike

Hi Mike,

Great cartoony style!

and thanks a lot for posting that very helpfull minitut.

;>) Jake

Thanks for the break down Milano, for your efforts I may allow you to ride my bike again… Then again prob not lol. Thanks again Milano, Poughkeepsie would be proud.

I really like the hand painted textures on these characters. I t gives them a very cartoony feel.

Cheers for the tutorial.

Thanks Truubluu… was that me that crashed your motorcycle into a building?? I don’t think that was me!

Jake and Rupert, thank you. I am glad you like the cartoony style. Very quick and simple, but has worked out well so far on the iPad, and the characters have translated pretty well to high-res renders. And no problem for the tutorial (with massive spelling errors), I hope it helps!

Thanks so much for posting this workflow! I don’t typically have much interest in anything other that super detailed characters, but this changes my mind completely. The world you all are creating for your game is beautiful.

Panta, thank you and I hope the workflow provides some help! The world Mark Jacobs thought of is great, and I love contributing to the team’s amazing work everyday. On Monday I am going to post some more concepts by artist Michelle Davies to introduce our studio members. We are small yet mighty!

Best, mike

Amazing character designs - totally digging the style and the handpainted textures are awesome too!:+1:
Really looking forward seeing more from City Stae Entertainment works!
All the best and happy sculpting ya’ll,

• Kenny:)

Kenny, thank you, I am glad you like our art style!

Here is the latest render for our teasers, which I wanted to share for our upcoming launch. This guy was concepted by artist Sandra Pauvlaan, and is 1046 tris. Our game is looking great, and we cannot wait for our upcoming release on the iPad! For more information and artwork, please visit our website, CityStateEntertainment.com!

Best, mike

clockTree.jpg