ZBrushCentral

BuzzOff Inspired WIP- critique PLEASE!!

So this is one of my first posts on here. And i feel that my Zbrush Work Is coming to a point where i need some constructive professional critique to really start to move forward. I am Completely Self taught (well if you count tutorials self taught).
i feel i have pretty good grip on modeling but i am finding it hard to wrap my head around materials. so some pointers there. maybe some direction to tutorials on the subject would be great. like when to use MatCap and when to use standard materials, and of course how to use them.

In regards to this piece its a loose interpretation of the character Buzz Off from He-Man. As its stands now i need to finalize the wings. with likely a fibrous muscular base, which there isn’t one yet. then the veins on the wings and if i can figure out how, a iridescent, trasparent material i think would really say insect. like an oily feel that might react to my lights. maybe repeat the feel on the eyes. with the multi-lens ed look to the eyeballs. Lastly maybe. MAYBE i’ll use fiber mesh to add the sparse hair you sometimes see on hornets. Would That be a little much? The Hands also are no existent right now. havin’ trouble rationalizing them to suit the character

So any critique, suggestions, ideas and comments would be GREATLY Appreciated :D:D

Matt Delano

Attachments

BuzzOffWip.jpg

He-man…Man I was a fan of that show when i was a kid…the latest 2002 remake of the original was nice also…I liked it’s look and feel… characters had a unique design and a stylized feel to them that made it look very cool. Hats off for your choice :D.

When you said “BuzzOff” I immediately wanted to see him. I like your sculpt I think it’s cool and with the changes you have in mind for him I think he’ll look 90% insect 10% humanoid…which is the look you’re going for for him here if i’m correct.
Judging from his face and the way you handled his hair. he reminds me of the predator. :slight_smile:
I think you should think about the arm as a whole, maybe check it’s silhouette and the solution for the hand will come up to you that’s one way to do it. At the end it all depends on the the look you are going for if you’re designing a character you put into account the character’s characterestics, what defines his character in your point of view… your design should reflect that as simply and as effectivly as possible. In other words…the look you are going for will determin where and how much sparse hair you are going to strategically put on him. :wink:

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more updates for your piece. :smiley:

SID

thanks for the Reply and the Advice Sid. I will start Sketching a bunch to try and figure out the arm and the Hand.
I like He-Man alot, more so the 2002 ver. But my brother is a far bigger fan then myself. He Has a Huge Toy Collection, with a huge focus on these Awsome He Man makets.and he always asks me to do my own interpretations of characters he likes.
he pointed me to these designs by a guy named MARKO DJURDJEVIC. he did Some Awesomely dark Character sketches of he man characters a while back that are just mind blowing.
Here is Buzz off and He man

you can see the rest of em here

one of my first versions of buzz off was more bi pedial. but i found it ended up looking more like something from power rangers then a Wasp Human hybrid. so thats why i went far more insectoid then Human
thanks Again By the Way. any and all feed back is a huge Help

Del

Oh yeah, i saw his work a while back I’m a huge fan…his takes on them were very cool thank you very much for the links :slight_smile: I wanted to collect as many He-Man toys as i can too but for different long boring reasons i couldn’t. It’s always good to know that someone else has a huge collection :laughing:
It’s a good thing you went more insectoid makes yours stand out and i’m pretty sure that when you’re done with him he’ll look great. :slight_smile:
Hopefully I really was able to help.
:+1:for you and your brother.