Default First Try

Okay, here goes nothing...

I'm brand new to ZBrush and sculpting in general. Just finished working my way through Introduction to ZBrush by Eric Keller, and now I'm plowing through Human Anatomy for ZBrush by Scott Spencer. This is my first model other than the exercises in Keller's book. Super suit comes next, then paint.

I'm looking to improve here, so feel free to rip me to pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study1a.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	295755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study1b.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	295756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study1c.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	295757  

Couldn't buy a response to my first post, but I just did a female study to keep my male company. I'd love some constructive criticism. Just trying to learn and get better.

Name:	Anatomy Study2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	298575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study2b.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	298576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study2c.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	298577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study2d.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	298578  

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hi Art,

I'm new here as well but i thought i try to point out some stuff if u don't mind.
    (other users may correct me if i say something wrong ^_^ )
    also hope you don't mind my german english ;P

first of all i think this is good work for just starting out, seems like u understand the tools and how
    to work with them. the sculpt looks clean and is therefore a good starting point.

now to the criticism and dont get me wrong, i hope u carry on !

1st of all , your female is too tall. an average person is about 7,5 heads , this one is roughly 8,5
    an ideal figure is 8 heads . in fact there are measurements you should take on all the body parts.
    what stands out on this one is that the legs are way to long.
    there is plenty of stuff on the web providing u with landmarks to start with. besides that, always use reference, anatomical
    and whatever u can find. the heads measurement on the human body is an easy way to get the overall proportions right.

u can also pull in a one of the zbrush shipped projects like the ryan kingsley model and compare it in size and whatnot.
    his workshops are also pretty good for anatomical foundations. zbrushworkshops.com

the head itself has also measurements that should be the base of your modeling. i know it's something not that fun to do,
    but studying anatomy is what makes the difference.
    there is stuff like the eyes which should be pulled back more, aswell as the whole jaw.
    i don't wanna go into too much detail but if u look at reference you will see it , i'm sure.
    i have to study myself , and i have a loooooot to learn as well.

hope this was at least a bit helpful. i'm looking forward to see ur upcoming posts and progress.

greetz

[FONT=sans-serif][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Not too bad! If I may, I have a few suggestions.

The muscles on the guy are very defined, but are otherwise ok. The trouble with it is that some of the proportions seem off. I'd say most specifically the arms are too short. Check some online proportion guides for where they should fall.

The woman's arms seem to have a similar problem. Also, her pelvic area is rather short and narrow.

For the side view of her head, I pulled the image into photoshop for some quick proportion edits. She mostly just need some small things, like bringing the chin in, and moving the neck forward. She becomes a more average looking female then, so do what you will with it.

In anycase, its a good first try. Keep it up!

Thank you, guys. I appreciate the feedback. I will work some more on her, incorporate your suggestions and post an update soon.

Did a bit more work. I think the proportions look a little more natural now. She's actually just under 8 heads tall.

Thank you for the direction.

Name:	Anatomy Study2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	300716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study2b.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	300717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study2c.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	300718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anatomy Study2d.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	300719  
    Last edited by Art Van D'lay; 03-26-12 at 10:07 PM.