Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Love it! It turned out great! Can you tell me who did the 3d printing and painting? It looks great!
    https://www.artstation.com/maximusin3d

"There is no tomorrow!"
    -Apollo Creed

For most projects, I handle the rapid-prototyping and painting directly. In this case, We Love Fine used their own team.

Here's the original concept art by Sajira, if you'd like to compare the sculpt and the control art:

A couple of designs by my buddy, Chris Ryniak, which I sculpted in ZBrush and had printed as part of an upcoming project with Cardboard Spaceship...

Cute.
    "Whoever controls the media, the images, controls the culture." - Allen Ginsberg

Love both of them – great work!

good job
    are you rendering inside zbrush?

Pabgo - sometimes I render in ZBrush but mostly in VRay back in 3ds Max. When I do render in ZBrush, I keep it simple - one material, soft shadows etc, then pop the raw over to Photoshop for a quick tweak. Not much too it. They look like this:

Member Follow User Gallery

Cool!

Sculpted in ZBrush...

Rendered in Keyshot...

Keyshot is the BOMB!

Nice to see you giving it a try Scott.

-Steve
    --

Steve Talkowski | Sketchbot Studios
    design. create. animate.
    sketchbot.tv
    @stevetalkowski

Monsters in the Dark look very cool. Was there a 2D concept for those, or did you concepted them directly as you sculpted? Realy liked your How to Make Toys link too. Lots of info

Yes, there were a few sketches done before sculpting, usually just plain old pencil and paper.

Member Follow User Gallery

Hi Scott,

I like your style, and from what I see here you are fairly free to produce really complicated shapes in your process.

I am curious though, because I don't see any work here that looks like it could be molded with a reuseable tool like injection molding, (although lost wax or investment casting would work, where the mold is destroyed to remove the part). ... Do you have a different workflow for molded parts, or do you not use molding at all?

If you do have work that requires molds, how do you handle the polygons to nurbs issues, since most tool makers will only accept nurbs files?

Great questions.

Regarding mold-making. Yes the output from rapid-prototyping is rigid so we make a silicone mold and recast it in wax. The wax is electroplated, and then melted out of the resulting metal mold. Since roto-cast vinyl is our material of choice for designer toys, and it's flexible, it can be poured into the metal mold through a single smallish opening, and pulled out again after cooling/curing. The vinyl then becomes more stable and rigid after it's removed from the mold. So undercuts, flanges, limbs within reason, can be pulled from the rigid mold, because the material is soft.

Regarding polygons and NURBS. Most of the work that I do is polygon based, it's organic and doesn't need tooling etc. If a project does need tooling down the line to become injection molded ABS for electronics or whatnot then the engineers handle that. I'm a designer, and you might look at the work I do as being the initial design stage, the same as if I were a traditional sculptor working in clay. At some point engineers will be rebuilding a NURBS version in Solidworks if the project requires it. Most of the time, no NURBS are needed - a straight up STL gets printed and we're on to making the molds.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 LastLast