ZBrushCentral

Lady of Naga

Bronze_ladyofnaga.jpg

Hello there. I’d like to share with you the process my latest work as this work’s done in ZBrush has made its journey into a 3D print and then a Bronze Statue as the final product (Edition Size: 9 / Approximately 20" x 20" x 24" Weight roughly around 80 lbs / 36 Kilograms of Silicon Bronze)

The piece will be displayed at Thailand National Fine Art Exhibition 2012 in the coming month of February.

The Concept:

The year is 2012, The year of Water Serpent (Water Dragon) where the world shall be blessed with happiness. This piece depicts young maiden in harmony with the auspicious creature. Signifying affluence in wealth and happiness in the harmonious way should human treats nature. (This piece’s actually conceived prior to the huge Flood in Bangkok at the end of last year)

This is one of the first Bronze statues with the use of Himmapan (Asian’s heavenly forest) Theme. The project’s being sponsored in parts by OCAC (Office of Contemporary Art And Culture, Ministry Of Culture ,Thailand), Post Element Co., Ltd–ComputerArts (Thailand), and Comgraph Co. Ltd.

Also
It’s worth to note that during the process of sculpting the piece, I utilized reference made by AnatomyTools.com (This one in particular http://anatomytools.com/products/anatomy/fig-female1a) And must also thank my master, Alex Oliver for teaching me the basics of Anatomy.

Excellent peace of art…

Conceptualize with Mannequin
The very first steps we, My girlfriend and I, did was roughing out the form of which we want the final pose in order to gain a proper space/composition of the piece. The best way I found out was to use the well thought out feature, Mannequin --which is highly under-rated. I in fact did several form sketches and finally settled with this pose. The human figure’s the one in ZBrush pre-installed asset. The Water Dragon’s made crudely with ZSphere just to fulfill its need as a design sketch.

ZBrush_001.jpg

@himanshuron
Thank you so much. Glad you like it.

ZBrush Time - Fun Time
For the lady of Naga, I utilized DynaMesh feature to convert the form and sculpted non-symmetrically. The nature of DynaMesh allows me the freedom to sculpt. Small parts could be added in easily without restriction.

ZBrush_002.jpg

The Naga:
The Model of Naga followed the same method used for sculpting the Lady. As the piece will be printed out at a fairly large size (24" in height) I started to plan where to cut the models apart. With DynaMesh and Slice Tool, this can be accomplished easily.

ZBrush_004.jpg

Excellent patina work on that bronze btw.

Re-Assembled:

The model’s printed out and surface refined further with wax.
Mold_001.jpg

Sculpt_002.jpg

Sculpt_003.jpg

Sculpt_004.jpg

@magbhitu
Thank you very much. I think one of the most rewarding part about Bronze is its ability to hold such wide range of Patina so we could express just the tone we want. Really glad you like it.

Wax work prior to Bronze casting:

The Process we employed was Lost wax, for that we had to create silicone mould for the parts, and then the finalized wax version’s produced. Then it’s the task to do the final fine tuning work on the wax to progress further for Bronze casting.

Wax_001.jpg

Bronze Progress #1 :

Once it’s cast in Silicon Bronze, the pieces were conjoined together once again and some Bronze refinement process begins.

Patina work’s laid down with the basic tone / Generic Bronze prior to finalizing the patina to my liking.

Patina_001.jpg

Patina #2:

More Patina continues

Patina_003.jpg

Patina_002.jpg

The Final Patina:

Bronze_ladyofnaga2.jpg

Meanwhile, my Girlfriend took the Naga ZBrush model and continued to create another Art Print for the event. The painting’s then Giclée onto Hahnemuehle Fine Art Canvas at 36" x 55"

Paint.jpg

Both pieces will be on Exhibition this February in Bangkok Art Exhibition, Thailand. I’d like to thank Pixologic for creating such a wonderful software with the ability to decimate the work to be output in physical world. Extra thanks to my Girlfriend and my Mother for supporting us during the course of creating these. Finally the Bronze foundry for the great service even during the time of Mega-Flooding in Bangkok.

1 Like

Thanks for the inprocess pics. I’m sharing them with my traditional sculpture friends. I used to do a fair bit of bronze chasing and patina work for hire. Yah the patina is where all the hard work pays off.

Well done, I love dragons :slight_smile:

Absolutely wonderful to see this process and thank you for sharing.

Top row for me

@magbhitu
Right! This is in fact the first time I tried out his large print. Eventually my aim is (probably in the next few years) to create a larger than life Sculpture park of this magical forest in Bronze… (That’s my dream anyway… :D)

@satin
Thank you…and welcome to the year of Dragon!!

@ministerart@hotmail.co.uk
Thank you so much, really appreciate your comment. Glad you like the piece.

It is very beautiful sculptures kub :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: I want to see the real thing.

Amazing work! :+1:

Stunning simply stunning thank you for sharing the process of bringing this wonderful piece to life .:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Excellent :+1:…Really turened out Beautiful :)…Great concept, composition, rhythm and flow…Luv the painting also. :)…and also,…Thanks a million for sharing the process from conception to finish…Great Job…:+1:small_orange_diamond:)
Glenn

Interesting watching this piece come together. Thanks for sharing!