ZBrushCentral

Tip for left-handed zbrush artists

Wasn’t sure which section to put this in, but it’s more of a Tip than a Tutorial.

This is only from personal experience, but I brought a FlexiGlow CyberSnipa GamePad because I’m left handed and find it difficult to play my games on a pc keyboard. I thought I would give it a go whilst in Zbrush and other applications.

Anyway to keep it short, the bottom line was once I had set my Hotkeys this has seriously increased my workflow. Obviously must be used in conjunction with Tablet. I find the Shift/Ctrl/Alt Keys perfectly positioned. With a bit of key remapping this GamePad has been a dream to work with. Well I thought I would share just incase others haven’t thought of this.

Best Regards

Attachments

full_game_pad_001.jpg

good idea, but im used to typing the hotkeys for each brush i use in zbrush and i’ve become pretty fast at it, so this wouldn’t help me so much. but could be very helpful for other left handers. thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Yeah I’ve been struggling a bit with that. I keep switching up from pen to mouse so i can use the keybord. Seems like it could come in handy.

That seems a brilliant solution. Since I’m a lefty as well. Initially I tried programming my bamboo buttons. I have the Waccom Bamboo Create Pen and Touch Tablet /w the the wireless kit and was never able to find a perfect solution.

It took a bit of searching to find a site that wasn’t out of stock of the pad you suggested, so to save everyone else a bit of effort heres the link I found. (am I allowed to post links to external sites? I wasn’t able to find a rules page, but I’m not a vendor so I don’t see an issue with it)
http://www.xoxide.com/flexiglow-cybersnipa-gamepad-v2.html

You said you needed to set up hotkeys to make it work perfectly, may I ask specifically what they are? I would like to order mine and set it up identical. :slight_smile:

Hi, sorry, I should have said, hotkeying was quite minimal as the Q,W,E and R are in a good position to quickly change between draw, move, rotate and scale.

Just thinking as I type ere…

The F is in a nice place to quickly Frame, using your small pinky.
The B with little finger for me is great to access Brushes

I do also have a custom palette docked on the left hand-side. Which is forever growing as I find new techniques and ways to work.

erh…
Ctrl+W - not changed
Ctrl+A - not changed
Ctrl+Z - didn’t change and found was in a great position for Texturing/Spotlight
X - not changed kept for symmetry.
The Numbers - I set to my favourite brushes. except no. 1 - repeat last

To be honest, you really do need to play around with how you feel comfortable with where you put your hotkeys. I personally only needed to change a couple. I think I changed the G and the H also, can’t remember to what soz. Actually, H might have been mask invert.

Anyway, I think the main thing for me was, I was sick and tired of having to move my whole keyboard over to the right or having to cross my hands over. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a lot of workspace.

Hope that helps - good luck