ZBrushCentral

Artfulshrapnel Sketchbook

Just a place to post my current work and studies. I’m very open to critique and suggestions.

Currently my focus is on improving the basic anatomy in my sculptures, and on refining my hard surface rendering techniques. (Two areas I feel I am pretty weak) Mostly trying to do this through a number of anatomy studies from reference that I suppose I should actually start saving and posting instead of deleting at the end of the session.

Most of what I have been using Zbrush for is miniature work. The files are getting printed in 3d and cast in metal or resin, so you may notice that some of the poses are slightly unnatural to account for the limitations of what a mold can handle in terms of undercuts and overlapping forms.

Some of my recent stuff:

Attachments

anconian_brainbug_renders.jpg

Treeclaw_beast.jpg

Treeman.jpg

deepone_reposed.jpg

Working on another plant-inspired monster. Just working on the spikey cape of plate metal for now, and the creature itself, but I plan for it to have some more accessories and stuff eventually.

I’ve been making an effort to incorporate some more realistic anatomy (though with some obvious departures in terms of proportions and digits) merging a feminine torso with a big long lanky male set of limbs…

Critiques and thoughts?

iron_servant.jpg

I really like the face and love the double fingers. I can see the neck area turning out really cool too.

It looks like you put alot of love into the armor and rail-road spikes. They look good and is an interesting design but… I gotta say I am not in love with it. It just seems like a clash with the natural/organic feel. I think it might work well without the spikes sticking out so much? Maybe if they were flush with the metal or use straps instead? IDK just some ideas.

Great artwork! I love your style and just the extremely poses are fantastic!
And many thanks for your support about Decimation master.

@Nix - Thanks for the suggestion and feedback! The plates are supposed to be contrasting with the nature-y creature, it will have several more elements of very crude metallic stuff nailed, chained, or otherwise forcibly affixed to it by the end, as I’m imagining it as some sort of gentle giant that has been forced into war…

@Jovomo - Thanks! Glad I was able to help with DM!

Just some more sketches and mini-sculpts. The deep one will be a miniature, and I’m particularly proud of the symbol on his bag. Also I think this Cthulhu sculpt may become part of a chess set…

cthulhuchess.jpg

Just anotha update. More stuff made for miniature, because that’s what I been up to.

Lots of Lovecraft, because the clients love it!

anconian_slave_greenie.jpg
houndrender.jpg
houndposed_2.jpg

swordconian_greenie.jpg
gemstar_greenie.jpg

Looks cool!
is this dynamesh sculpts?

Great sketchbook mate, really some very interesting and relly great designs on here!:+1:
Really digging your style on the creatures :slight_smile: Can’t wait seeing more from you!
Cheers and happy sculpting,

• Kenny:)

Your work is realy great. Keep up the good work!:+1:

Thanks, guys!

@FairCat Yeah, these use Dynamesh, though many of them start as Zsphere or Max meshes. They just make it easier to control the proportions when its a figure. :slight_smile:

Just a couple quick things. First is an alien-monster-dealie. Quick Dynamesh sculpt, about 1 hour just for fun. Second is a study from an Assyrian Winged Bull, trying to learn a bit more about old sculptural styles.

Aliensketch_2.jpg

Aliensketch.jpg

Asyrian_1a.jpg

just another random alien head sketch. About 45 minutes, clay buildup and Dam Standard.

nice stuff. Love the frog guy and the plant inspired stuff.

:slight_smile:
J

Just a sculpting exercise. I started with the cow skull (about 1 hour) then worked it up into an illustration design I’d been experimenting with for an unrelated project (another 2-3 hours). Pretty pleased with the result thus far, though I definitely need to merge the limbs into the torso and smooth out the connections a bit. Does anyone have any tips for seamlessly merging tools in organic shapes like this, or is Dynamesh/projection the right answer?

Also yes. I apologize for what those thighs have done to your eyes. Consider the fact that I left the crotch area undefined a mercy… (it’ll get covered with a tiny shred of cloth in the final.)

fatghoul3.jpg
fatGhoul2.jpg
fatGhoul1.jpg

Being a classy bloke by double-posting this classy gal… guy… thing? Focusing on the folds and feeling of fleshyness on this one. I think I’m about ready to retopo and pose, since any sort of details for the limbs are going to need to be sculpted after I get them positioned and redo any folds as needed… Gonna try and get some action and movement out of all that mass in the final.

Also continuing to work on my render setup. I’m feeling better about this one. Similar to my old style, but a little less… glowy? Vaseline lens-y? It feels sharper, but still with the depth of field I need to be happy with it as realistic.

:smiley: Nice!!!

Final posed renders. I’m calling this one “The Coppertone Ghoul”

Where’s the dog? He ate it. That’s where.

Coppertone_goul.jpg

coppertone_ghoul.jpg

Quick sketches for today… just a couple random faces and a fibermesh test.
quickface_fibermesh.jpg

fatface.jpg

Getting into gear for a new round of miniatures. Starting off by doing some studies off Privateer Press models, because their stuff is the ****. This is my first attempt at a master copy of one of their bonejacks. From here I think I’m going to design my own bonejack in the same style, and send it in as portfolio piece…

skulljack.jpg

And another version of the earlier Deep One I’d posted. This one has swords, and is rendered in a “green stuff” style to make miniature art directors more comfortable. :wink:
deepone_scimitars_2.jpg

Also, this is a recent print I had done by the folks at Roblyn. (roblyn.com) They print at possibly the highest resolution I have ever seen, and I am super impressed. The other print on the right is by a standard “high def” 3d printer, at about 16 micros precision. The one on the left is at about 1 micron precision and they were able to make me a master cast in brass. Suffice it to say I am hella impressed.

testprint_1.jpg

P.S. Dear Privateer Press: please don’t sue me, I’m not printing your model, just studying it to learn your style. I want to work from you, not steal from you. If there’s a problem with this image being posted just let me know and I’ll take it down. :slight_smile:

Attachments

emoody_testprint_1.jpg

Also, just recently finished a skeleton sculpt, using the Ryan Kingslen skeleton projections as a reference. Saved my timelapse in case it helps anyone else with their anatomy projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPKRwCLHlBw&feature=youtu.be

A daily sketch, trying to get in the mood for the Halloween challenge. Might do a lich-type zombie guy for it…

lichhead2.jpg